• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Music and Lyrics

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
I noticed while I listen to music, I ignore the lyrics and focus entirely on the melody, the bpm, the harmonics, how well the song fits into the mood, how well it would mix into other songs, and what type of montage the music would best be suited for.

I often cannot recall what the song title is nor the author. Don't get me started on lyrics.

Is this typical to NF?

Trefle

MBTI Type
INFJ
I..usually get used to melody more. I also got attracted to melody much quicker than lyrics. To get me to like a particular song, however, the lyrics are more important than the melody.

There are lots of music with good melody (I like most of J/C/K Pop's melody) but good lyrics...are hard to find.

Yes, I also imagined what kind of sequence would go well with the music, what's the mood of the music (and comparing it with the actual lyrics and see if there's a dissonance <3), the instrumentals / the background sounds, etc etc.

now song title and author...is hard. >_>; I need to 'own' the music myself to be able to remember the names.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I often cannot recall what the song title is nor the author. Don't get me started on lyrics.

Is this typical to NF?

It's true of me. Sometimes I'll try singing along and my friends make fun of me cause none of the words are even close to being right... but they sound it to me!

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
It's true of me. Sometimes I'll try singing along and my friends make fun of me cause none of the words are even close to being right... but they sound it to me!

+1

I never know what songs are saying.. always beats. I didn't even know Lady GaGa was saying poker face in her song until last week.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm...I play a lot of attention to the lyrics of a song. I know many songs word for word. I strongly dislike songs where the words have no meaning, unless I'm just having fun and dancing, in which case I like nice beats. This is why I listen to [some] rap; it mixes meaningful lyrics with a fun beat. I also enjoy the puns and metaphors. I annoy my ESFP friend while we are driving places by focusing on the lyrics, she says "Who cares? It sounds good!"

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Rhythm, instrumentation, and mood of a song rope me in, words that mean something keep me there.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If a song tries to be something I've not heard before, something unique, regardless of lyrical content... as long as it gets me "thinking" (LOLZ, infp "thought") with clever arrangements of words in a language that I'm familiar with (English or Spanish). They don't necessarily have to mean anything in particular to inspire me. And what I end up doing doesn't have to be directly related to the song. Being spastic musically helps.

Woo!
YouTube - The Frogs

Exhilarating!
YouTube - The Soft Boys - Only the Stones Remain

More!
YouTube - Couch Flambeau - The Zoo Is Cool - 1985

P

Phantonym

I noticed while I listen to music, I ignore the lyrics and focus entirely on the melody, the bpm, the harmonics, how well the song fits into the mood, how well it would mix into other songs, and what type of montage the music would best be suited for.

Is this typical to NF?

If I pay enough attention, I'm able to detect within seconds the title and the artist when the song starts playing. But the lyrics, names of the albums, band members, personal details of the artists - all of these seem irrelevant.

I have songs I absolutely love and have listened to for years but I'm completely oblivious about their lyrics. Maybe a bit of the chorus but overall, it's all about humming :laugh: I really have to make an effort to look up the lyrics in order to get the full significance of a song.

Sometimes I get so caught up in one song and its mood that I almost bathe in the vibe and fail to notice that a whole set of songs has passed. :wubbie:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Well, I'm no NF, but I do the same thing. Of course, after I've heard a song for a while, I'm interested in the lyrics and I try to pay attention to them. But most of the time I can't remember the lyrics in the song. Most people just love singing along to the lyrics and they wonder why I don't know the lyrics to songs I've heard before. I also only like to listen to music when I'm not doing anything else, so I can really engage in the mood of the song.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You shouldnt talk about music !

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsdgZVqQVdA"]lyrics are quite easy :D[/YOUTUBE]

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lyrics are HUGE to me. They can make or break a song sometimes. Ultimately, the music and lyrics are both important to me. There are times the lyrics can be fluffy and I still like the song because of the music & vocal melody. I can also end up liking a song with music that is not particularly special because the lyrics are brilliant.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Sometimes it's less about what's sung and more about HOW it is sung. A voice that believably wavers, strains, breaks etc. in emotion is incredibly powerful to me. It can often make a good song a favorite song. In the same way, hearing vocals that don't sound connected to the lyrics can ruin a song for me. However, vocals don't have to sound overwrought and emotional to do so. Powerful lyrics matched with powerful vocals can even make the rest of the song disappear for me sometimes.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an avid listener of metal, usually the lyrics are just something that I accept, it doesn't make or break the song to me. I listen to how the song sounds. I usually pick up on lyrics over time and don't really care to look them up, it's fun. :D A lot of the music I listen to it's hard to make out the lyrics at first, or they just don't have lyrics. Hah, today I just discovered this bit of lyrical mastery in a song I was listening to. :D I was thinking "Hmm, so this song is about killing people!"

I rip the axe from the head
covered in blood and brains
Leave the body lying dead
Ready to strike again

LOL. Viking metal is awesome I do believe. :jew:

Yeah lyrics are pretty neutral to me. If they're meaningful then that's cool, if not then that's cool too.

When I listen to lighter music I tend to enjoy the lyrics more, since it's not heavy enough for me to get immersed in it. So I entertain myself with what the song is about. If light music has terrible lyrics then it's out the window for me. I don't listen to a lot of light music though... Almost all of my playlist is electronic (no lyrics) or metal (lyrics don't matter).

It's a double win if the lyrics mean something and it's really hard music. That way I can get immersed in the song and realize that the song has a real meaning behind it. This is why I like melodic death metal.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hmmm...I play a lot of attention to the lyrics of a song. I know many songs word for word. I strongly dislike songs where the words have no meaning, unless I'm just having fun and dancing, in which case I like nice beats. This is why I listen to [some] rap; it mixes meaningful lyrics with a fun beat. I also enjoy the puns and metaphors. I annoy my ESFP friend while we are driving places by focusing on the lyrics, she says "Who cares? It sounds good!"

This how I am, too. I'm inclined to think it's more a left brain/right brain thing than a type tendency.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes it's less about what's sung and more about HOW it is sung. A voice that believably wavers, strains, breaks etc. in emotion is incredibly powerful to me. It can often make a good song a favorite song. In the same way, hearing vocals that don't sound connected to the lyrics can ruin a song for me. However, vocals don't have to sound overwrought and emotional to do so. Powerful lyrics matched with powerful vocals can even make the rest of the song disappear for me sometimes.

This is a good point. I really like when a vocalist takes a seemingly simple line & sings it in such way that it adds an entirely new depth of meaning & implies so much more beyond the surface. I think these are the kind of singers who could "sing the phonebook" and make it sound amazing.

An example of a band I like that hardly uses lyrics is Cocteau Twins. The singer doesn't sing many real words, but the way she sings with the music adds meaning & emotion to what otherwise might be called unintelligible sounds.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I generally don't even hear the lyrics as separate form melody. I can't think about language and music at the same time unless I concentrate.

I thought I was the only one to do this until I met a guitar player who does the same. Still a freak though.:happy:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This how I am, too. I'm inclined to think it's more a left brain/right brain thing than a type tendency.

Every left brain/right brain dominance test I've taken has come out balanced, or very slightly one way or the other.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Lyrics are really important to me, unless the song is just instrumental. I can't listen to love songs or songs about drugs and bitches. Sometimes they are good for a laugh, but if I am going to listen to a song on repeat for hours on end I'd like some slightly meaningful message to enter my brain. :headphne:

P

Phantonym

Hah, today I just discovered this bit of lyrical mastery in a song I was listening to. :D I was thinking "Hmm, so this song is about killing people!"

I rip the axe from the head
covered in blood and brains
Leave the body lying dead
Ready to strike again

I think I just got interested in metal. And lyrics. An uncharted territory for me. Oh, the possibilities of fun I could have. Thanks! :)