First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Wyst View Post
    Other types - feel free to hang out, but my purpose in this thread is to get INFJs' input on this topic.

So, INFJs - these things which make us uniquely 'INFJ', I'm curious how you look at them.

For example: (and granted, these are generalizations - not blanket statements)
    • We tend to shun direct confrontation
    • We usually don’t have tons of friends – rather we have a few chosen comrades
    • We often live in a fantasy world – the fantasy world allows us to explore possibilities but often, we’re disappointed with reality, leaving us troubled in relationships
    • We hate talking on the phone and would rather text
    These aren't unique to INFJs. Having said that, how INFJs view them is unique, so I'll shut up now.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Other types - feel free to hang out, but my purpose in this thread is to get INFJs' input on this topic.

So do you think our tendency to hold back is what makes us who we are or do you think it’s just one area in our INFJ-ness that needs to be developed, a character defect, if you will…
    I don't believe in defects. You are who you are, quirky and unique. We all strive for change and growth. From perfectly oblivious to perfectly aware of our actions and how we affect others. And how others affect us. Different things work in different cultures. Imagine if you were in prison - this keep to yourself trait may actually be desirable, no? And also being able to live in a fantasy world may keep you going, whereas I wouldn't last a day in prison. I couldn't be alone in my head for more than an hour (by force or by absence of stimulation).
    (what a horrible emoticon, right??)

Ok, you may now continue with your regularly scheduled programming... ENTP over and out.

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't know if this is a "weakness" for anyone else but I feel like it is for me. Being TOO self-aware. I'll know just why I don't want to do something and I find I have become too accepting of everything that makes me who I am as a person. I don't challenge it, or overcome things I don't like, because I've justified my own fears and weaknesses as being a part of my "unique character."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by scortia View Post
    I don't know if this is a "weakness" for anyone else but I feel like it is for me. Being TOO self-aware. I'll know just why I don't want to do something and I find I have become too accepting of everything that makes me who I am as a person. I don't challenge it, or overcome things I don't like, because I've justified my own fears and weaknesses as being a part of my "unique character."
    I can REALLY identify with you're saying, Scortia. You're actually hitting at the heart of what what I'm trying to get people to talk about.

INFJs are so introspective that it often leads to a high level of self-awareness. I'm REALLY self-aware, so much so that I feel naked/vulnerable/easy to read. So when we discover an 'uh-oh'. I think it's really easy to rationalize it by saying, 'That's just the way I am, I don't really need to address this".

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

For example: (and granted, these are generalizations - not blanket statements)
    • We tend to shun direct confrontation
    I don't do this. I go for the throat, when I have to. But I prefer not to, because in the long run friends are better then enemies.
    • We usually don’t have tons of friends – rather we have a few chosen comrades
    I don't really see this as a weakness. You can still have few friends with a large social network of acquiescences. I think we expect much more from our friends then most people.
    • We often live in a fantasy world – the fantasy world allows us to explore possibilities but often, we’re disappointed with reality, leaving us troubled in relationships
    I am sure I have no idea what your talking about... I find that living in a fantasy world is about the only way to take on problems (and then finish them) that other people won't take on because they are too difficult. This is a strength.
    • We hate talking on the phone and would rather text
    I rather like talking on the phone, as long as I'm not talking to someone who is really depressed, because then I tend to feel depressed.
    I could list off more but I guess what I’m getting it as that the typical poorly-developed INFJ really seems to be a hider. Not a hermit, because a hermit has chosen his lifestyle because he’s often a crotchety old grump.

INFJs, I think, deep down want to get out, but our ‘weaknesses’ trip us up along the way and we grow content with the status quo, content with our books and music, content with ‘this is just the way I am, and why the hell should I have to change? I’m an INFJ dammit!’.

So do you think our tendency to hold back is what makes us who we are or do you think it’s just one area in our INFJ-ness that needs to be developed, a character defect, if you will…

I’ve got my opinions but I’ll pull them out later.
    Well I do think that INFJ's tend to be more vulnerable to unhealthy states of mind then most people because of the way that they think. Most people don't have ideals, so they can't be disappointed when the world doesn't live up to them. But ideals also can be the most powerful motivators in the world if you can deal with the fact that most of the world hates you for having them

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

honestly, INFJs are near perfect. i wouldn't want them to be different, it just wouldn't be the same. those defects listed are, when looked at from another perspective, also positive qualities.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    honestly, INFJs are near perfect. i wouldn't want them to be different, it just wouldn't be the same. those defects listed are, when looked at from another perspective, also positive qualities.
    Flattered, but you clearly speak too highly of us. I often notice this with people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Flattered, but you clearly speak too highly of us. I often notice this with people.
    Yeah, INFJs seem to get an almost celebrity status around here. I'm not entirely sure that I understand why.
    INFJ 9w1.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

That's the ENTP way of hitting on you.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    That's the ENTP way of hitting on you.
    Ahh well that explains it. ENFPs are often like that too with us, well one I know at least (yeah you know who you are. ).