• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] House, M.D.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
cameron wouldn't be so all over house if she was S. she wouldn't have the need to "repair" house; it's a typical NF trait (yes i have been there). she is extremely empathetic towards people, moreso than any S person could ever be.
Why would an S "be all over House"? You are saying her distance requires intuition and empathy because House needs space and no S could determine that? House draws the boundaries pretty strongly and concretely. Sensors have empathy towards a person's needs - moreso than iNtuitives in many ways. A need like space is both concrete and abstract. SF or NF can determine that.

if cuddy wasn't intuitive she wouldn't have such confidence towards house's ability and she wouldn't be as lenient towards his breaking of rules. compare her to foreman, an SJ; the episodes where foreman is supervising house in the second season is a good example. she can she why house is a great doctor whereas foreman has a problem with seeing the same. foreman wants to restrict house, cuddy has realized that restrictions would make house a less good doctor... or well, at least even less benevolent. she's like his mother.
This argument makes some sense in my reading of it. I can also see why Cuddy doesn't seem strongly abstract in her thinking. She does present herself in an ultra-sensual way. She has striking awareness of the concrete world both in her physical presentation and in the presentation of the hospital. I'm not sure how to classify her, but either her J/P and/or her S/N seem rather balanced. She is definitely an extrovert though.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
where's your proof to state otherwise?

Who cares? I was just asking a question.

cameron wouldn't be so all over house if she was S. she wouldn't have the need to "repair" him; it's a typical NF trait (yes i have been there). she is extremely empathetic towards people, moreso than any S person could ever be.

That is pure shit. The worst paragraph I've read this week, and I'm an attorney.

if cuddy wasn't intuitive she wouldn't have such confidence towards house's ability and she wouldn't be as lenient towards his breaking of rules. compare her to foreman, an SJ; the episodes where foreman is supervising house in the second season is a good example. she can she why house is a great doctor whereas foreman has a problem with seeing the same. foreman wants to restrict house, cuddy has realized that restrictions would make house a less good doctor... or well, at least even less benevolent. she's like his mother.

I'll buy that.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
Okay, has anyone seen the episode where House gets shot in the neck early on? I watched it, and by the end of it I didn't fully understand. It came on at a later date and I watched it again- and now I have two theories about it, either of them could work. I don't know if I should speak freely (spoilers) or if I should just ask to be PM'd. *sigh* I need closure.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
That is pure shit. The worst paragraph I've read this week, and I'm an attorney.

oh i am sure you could phrase it better, but the point still stands. otherwise if you think it's shit, please feel free to elaborate.

man i hate subjective judgments in arguments.

Why would an S "be all over House"?

i'm saying that an S wouldn't be all over house. she is... as far as an INFJ can be all over a person.

You are saying her distance requires intuition and empathy because House needs space and no S could determine that? House draws the boundaries pretty strongly and concretely. Sensors have empathy towards a person's needs - moreso than iNtuitives in many ways. A need like space is both concrete and abstract. SF or NF can determine that.

S would actively seek to limit house to the rules. cameron doesn't care about the rules, she cares about her own set of ethics.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Then how come you keep arguing with NFs?;)

because, like the guy who keeps yelling "ouch" after every time he hits himself on the head with a hammer, i'm trying to empirically prove einstein's theory: "only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and i'm not sure about the former".

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
oh i am sure you could phrase it better, but the point still stands. otherwise if you think it's shit, please feel free to elaborate.

man i hate subjective judgments in arguments.

He probably said it was shit because you stated that people with a sensing preference are unequivocally less capable of empathy than people with an NF preference. And he probably didn't bother to provide reasoning because it should obvious to anyone that such a claim is mindless.

P

Phantonym

because, like the guy who keeps yelling "ouch" after every time he hits himself on the head with a hammer, i'm trying to empirically prove einstein's theory: "only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and i'm not sure about the former".

I'm at a loss here. Who are you comparing to what? NFs to the universe, because we're supposed to be, according to Einstein, limited? Or are you just calling NFs stupid? Maybe both?

I'm not being sarcastic. I really want to know.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
He probably said it was shit because you stated that people with a sensing preference are unequivocally less capable of empathy than people with an NF preference. And he probably didn't bother to provide reasoning because it should obvious to anyone that such a claim is mindless.

that wasn't my claim. i'm not claiming that NFs can be more empathetic, i'm claiming the strength and moral/goal of their empathy is greater than that of SFs.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
I'm at a loss here. Who are you comparing to what? NFs to the universe, because we're supposed to be, according to Einstein, limited? Or are you just calling NFs stupid? Maybe both?

I'm not being sarcastic. I really want to know.

i'm calling myself stupid for trying to argue with you. :rolli:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
that wasn't my claim. i'm not claiming that NFs can be more empathetic, i'm claiming the strength and moral/goal of their empathy is greater than that of SFs.

Really?

she is extremely empathetic towards people, moreso than any S person could ever be.

And what does the "moral/goal" of empathy even mean?

It seems like if you say that NF empathy is stronger than SF empathy, that's basically the same as saying that NFs have more empathy than SFs. Changing the word from "more" to "stronger" doesn't make the claim less idiotic than it was before.

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
*Spoiler Alert*

What about the old guy that applied for one of the three positions under House that didn't get hired because he had no medical license? What type was he? He seemed to connect very well to House.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
And what does the "moral/goal" of empathy even mean?

It seems like if you say that NF empathy is stronger than SF empathy, that's basically the same as saying that NFs have more empathy than SFs. Changing the word from "more" to "stronger" doesn't make the claim less idiotic than it was before.

:rolli:

this is why i don't argue with INTPs, because you always think everything that doesn't make sense in your head is "idiotic". how is it "idiotic"? please, give me a logical explanation and not your "mindless", "idiotic" Si judgment "crap".

i firmly believe that NF feeling is different than SF feeling, and one of the places where it would be see would be the degree to which a person can be empathetic. a deeper understanding of the connection between objects is proportional with a deeper feeling towards said objects. that is what i meant by intention. i also believe that most NFs don't bother showing it because it either angers them or depresses them; and so, only use it to the extent that SFs use theirs. i don't think the quote, "ignorance is bliss" has ever been any more true.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
i firmly believe that NF feeling is different than SF feeling, and one of the places where it would be see would be the degree to which a person can be empathetic. a deeper understanding of the connection between objects is proportional with a deeper feeling towards said objects. that is what i meant by intention. i also believe that most NFs don't bother showing it because it either angers them or depresses them; and so, only use it to the extent that SFs use theirs. i don't think the quote, "ignorance is bliss" has ever been any more true.

You are basically saying that NFs (1) are better able to understand the connection between objects than SFs, and (2) consequently feel more deeply towards whatever the "object" is than SFs.

Where is your evidence for such a claim? Is it in the MBTI literature? I said "idiotic" because what you said was both completely unsubstantiated AND furthers prejudice against sensors. How much more explicit in my objection can I be for you to understand why I don't agree with what you are saying? I could live with the claim that NF feeling is different than SF feeling, but add values to that (e.g., more/less, better/worse, deeper/less deep, higher/less high) and I call BS. Is this something that you can understand?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are basically saying that NFs (1) are better able to understand the connection between objects than SFs, and (2) consequently feel more deeply towards whatever the "object" is than SFs.

Where is your evidence for such a claim? Is it in the MBTI literature? I said "idiotic" because what you said was both completely unsubstantiated AND furthers prejudice against sensors. How much more explicit in my objection can I be for you to understand why I don't agree with what you are saying? I could live with the claim that NF feeling is different than SF feeling, but add values to that (e.g., more/less, better/worse, deeper/less deep, higher/less high) and I call BS. Is this something that you can understand?

Yeah, having an opinion isn't the same as making an argument.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
to address both INTPs:

first off, MBTI does in no way hold scientific merit. any analysis on trying to type people is complete "bullshit", because it is based purely on subjective observance - an opinion. i don't need further claim than this, because that's how it is. you look through all these threads and you'll find people type other people (and themselves) differently.

i see no point in trying to make a standing argument in something as trivial as character analysis, both because there is no substantial proof and because i consider an argument to be something reserved for theories. you want to prove a certain character in a certain TV drama is of a certain MBTI type? prove the validity of the MBTI by finding a verifiable method of analysis, then. is this something you can understand?

secondly, don't be idiots. nothing is idiotic, because the term "idiotic" is subjective too. you claim that my opinion is idiotic? how exactly is that of relevance to me? how does it further the discussion?

i'm tired of seeing INXPs just spouting random judgments because something doesn't fit their absolute logic. is it really so hard to instead put out a counter opinion that could sway the other part? are you too lazy? is it too hard to find the words? why is this such a problem for people of these two types only?

about the sensor "discrimination":

is it discriminating if one thinks that certain people are better at certain tasks? you seem to think there is some sort of absolute spectrum where people rank in. i don't believe there is a spectrum. people regardless of types still have areas of expertise, and i would be willing to bet that everyone in the entire world has at least 1 area of expertise. if i was an INXP, i would use the term "foolish" here to think that every person in the entire world acts the same, has equal knowledge of everything and has the willingness to pull things through. everyone is different, but just because they're different doesn't mean they're worse off.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
to address both INTPs:

first off, MBTI does in no way hold scientific merit. any analysis on trying to type people is complete "bullshit", because it is based purely on subjective observance - an opinion. i don't need further claim than this, because that's how it is. you look through all these threads and you'll find people type other people (and themselves) differently.

i see no point in trying to make a standing argument in something as trivial as character analysis, both because there is no substantial proof and because i consider an argument to be something reserved for theories. you want to prove a certain character in a certain TV drama is of a certain MBTI type? prove the validity of the MBTI by finding a verifiable method of analysis, then. is this something you can understand?

secondly, don't be idiots. nothing is idiotic, because the term "idiotic" is subjective too. you claim that my opinion is idiotic? how exactly is that of relevance to me? how does it further the discussion?

i'm tired of seeing INXPs just spouting random judgments because something doesn't fit their absolute logic. is it really so hard to instead put out a counter opinion that could sway the other part? are you too lazy? is it too hard to find the words? why is this such a problem for people of these two types only?

about the sensor "discrimination":

is it discriminating if one thinks that certain people are better at certain tasks? you seem to think there is some sort of absolute spectrum where people rank in. i don't believe there is a spectrum. people regardless of types still have areas of expertise, and i would be willing to bet that everyone in the entire world has at least 1 area of expertise. if i was an INXP, i would use the term "foolish" here to think that every person in the entire world acts the same, has equal knowledge of everything and has the willingness to pull things through. everyone is different, but just because they're different doesn't mean they're worse off.

Still, you fail at differentiating between opinion and argument.

You can have an opinion masquerading as argument (as above) just don't expect anyone to give such bullshit a pass.

As an INTP, I know there are rarely black and white subjects, nearly everything is some shade of gray. Putting such gray subjects, lacking an exactitude or even "scientific merit", in such a state that every opinion is therefore valid, is an intellectually bankrupt method. If you truly believe that, there is no reason to write out an opinion, and we don't need to waste time reading it.