User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 118

Thread: House, M.D.

  1. #101
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    ^

    opinion definition | Dictionary.com

    the first definition.

    keep in mind that i never stated anything as fact or truth or otherwise within scientific merit. i did not face any counter arguments either, because arguably i proposed the first incitement towards discussion (with an opinion, no less!). none of this is within scientific merit, and as such, is completely irrelevant. thanks for trying though, pippi. i'll let you know next time we need irrelevant statements in the middle of an irrelevant discussion.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

  2. #102
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    ^It's not that simple. You can't just extend a preexisting theory (which is in effect, what you are trying to do), with your own opinions without a substantiating argument which has a logical basis. You may come up with your own typology theory with unicorns and purple trolls and whatnot - noone is going to challenge you there, you will simply be dismissed. But it is invalid to take terms with established, commonly understood meanings (as in function theory - whether the theory is held to be "scientific" or not) and just bolt on your own idiosyncratic interpretations, then use that as justification for assigning a type to someone.

    We can only type people because we (are able to) share a common understanding of what the functions are, so that we know when we talk about an ENTP, we can expect to see certain characteristics and when we talk about an ENFP, others. Otherwise I could say someone is an ESTJ because in my opinion he/she likes strawberry jam and, in my opinion, all ESTJs like strawberry jam and since all opinions are equally valid, I must be correct.

    I hope you see how ludicrous that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  3. #103
    Senior Member Into It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    ^It's not that simple. You can't just extend a preexisting theory (which is in effect, what you are trying to do), with your own opinions without a substantiating argument which has a logical basis. You may come up with your own typology theory with unicorns and purple trolls and whatnot - noone is going to challenge you there, you will simply be dismissed. But it is invalid to take terms with established, commonly understood meanings (as in function theory - whether the theory is held to be "scientific" or not) and just bolt on your own idiosyncratic interpretations, then use that as justification for assigning a type to someone.

    We can only type people because we (are able to) share a common understanding of what the functions are, so that we know when we talk about an ENTP, we can expect to see certain characteristics and when we talk about an ENFP, others. Otherwise I could say someone is an ESTJ because in my opinion he/she likes strawberry jam and, in my opinion, all ESTJs like strawberry jam and since all opinions are equally valid, I must be correct.

    I hope you see how ludicrous that is.
    I guess bluemonday wins.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

  4. #104
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    that wasn't my claim. i'm not claiming that NFs can be more empathetic, i'm claiming the strength and moral/goal of their empathy is greater than that of SFs.
    How so?

    To clarify: Please explain how you even come up with ideas relating to Feeling as judgement in your system where it is possible to be a INxP. Is that person a feeler or a thinker?

    When you say SF, do you really mean ISxJ, ISxP, ESxP, ESxJ?

    I mean I have no proper frame of reference to know what you mean when you are usually referencing your own system.

  5. #105
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    How so?
    This is unfair to ask because, it's like, his opinion, man.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Neither of you are correct, since this is based entirely off of opinion. Whether one person's opinion makes more sense than the other is irrelevant, because nothing is going to change here. Even if someone's opinion isn't inaccurate... well... you're not gonna change it. Especially not an NTPs' opinion, since to them their logic is absolute until otherwise proven, and here we have a case of two people's logic being absolute to them and then arguing about it. Quite hilarious and entertaining.
    You use the term "logic" here very loosely, do you not? Because I have yet to see anything remotely logical in Sentura's post.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I mean really, no one is gonna change an ENTP's opinion... ever. There's no point in trying even if you're right.
    Wrongo!
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  6. #106
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    bluemonday: actually i can. i mean, i just did it. whether you want to listen to it is entirely another matter.

    it's a shame you aren't allowed to ignore moderators.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

  7. #107
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    bluemonday: actually i can. i mean, i just did it.
    At least you admit it. That's Step 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #108
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    At least you admit it. That's Step 1.
    contrary to popular belief, i'm not an idiot.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

  9. #109
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    contrary to popular belief, i'm not an idiot.
    I heard you have wildfire in your eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  10. #110
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    it's a shame you aren't allowed to ignore moderators.
    That's what I tell my therapist!

Similar Threads

  1. What type is House?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1046
    Last Post: 11-23-2015, 07:15 PM
  2. Hogwarts Houses...
    By arcticangel02 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 11:22 PM
  3. Did Mice Domesticate the House Cat?
    By Oberon in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 08:47 AM
  4. Housing market cartoons
    By darlets in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 11:05 PM
  5. Do you feel embarrassed by your friends house
    By Sona in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO