User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default INFJ under stress

Just wondering how other INFJs out there act when under stress. I have been very stressed lately. I really don't handle stress well. What happens, is that I completely lose focus of the big picture. I've just started a new job and instead of looking at things wholistically I get carried away with all the little details. It is effecting my performance greatly. I am also very very harsh on myself. Does this happen to other INFJs out there?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy... View Post
    Just wondering how other INFJs out there act when under stress. I have been very stressed lately. I really don't handle stress well. What happens, is that I completely lose focus of the big picture. I've just started a new job and instead of looking at things wholistically I get carried away with all the little details. It is effecting my performance greatly. I am also very very harsh on myself. Does this happen to other INFJs out there?
    Yeah - when things get crazy at the office, I start getting tunnel vision and things that used to be simple tasks seem to feel like I can't handle them on top of everything else I have to do.

It usually helps me to take 5 minutes - take a walk somewhere and clear my head, then come back to it after I've reminded myself to take one thing at a time.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I can get harsh on myself as well. I really try to control my emotions when stressed. I am pretty intensely stressed right now because of something at work. A psychologically distressed person has fixated on me with sexual overtones, and I am really rattled by it. He finds out on Monday that our regular meeting time has ended and he has been transferred to working with a man. It's the kind of scenario where I'll be watching my rear-view mirror and keeping my tazer and pepper spray ready for the next several weeks. I try to focus on being strong, but I also get waves of feeling really scared and alone. I get obsessed with contingency plans. I guess I also try to imagine I'm wonder woman. She was my first role model. And I do escapism things like getting online.

(please don't quote this post - i may delete it)

Gosh...would it be advisable to inform your management? What sorts of things or overtones? Sorry to bring it up..I just empathically care...a sort of proxy..

There was a woman at work who wouldn't leave me alone. I know it's weird. And it's not friendly. Especially with that tone.

Guys assume guys all like that. ENTPs are interested in the other on their terms...so it's not necessarily true with us.

It got really quite awkward for awhile. She finally stopped.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar7 View Post
    Gosh...would it be advisable to inform your management? What sorts of things or overtones? Sorry to bring it up..I just empathically care...a sort of proxy..
    yeah. you should have that dude dropped down a notch. pronto.

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't get stressed too much... aside from just getting totally overworked. Typically I'll just charge through it all like a work horse and eventually it overflows and I start yelling at people. Most of the time my way of dealing is just collapsing though. I just got through a rough year of teaching and most afternoons I just went home and slept. Haven't taken care of myself, not exercising, not pursuing my writing or anything else... just in a bad vegetative state every time I had the luxury of getting a break. Sort of like the unwinding process most Introverted Intuitives go through after a long day of dealing with lots of people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

yes, i find i get stressed mostly when i have to deal with people constantly, which is a big part of my new job. if i have a pile of assignments to get through, i'll get stressed, but no where near as much as i do when i have to deal with people all the time. maybe i should just take my career in the direction of research or something where i dont have to be dealing with people all the time. although, i do hope i'm only stressed because its a new job and i've got a whole heap of things to learn. hopefully things will settle and dealing with others wont be so stressful

MBTI
    INFJ

It could just be because it's a new job. I know for me, I don't mind dealing with people if it's towards some "good" or if there's harmony involved. Otherwise, every other situation, it's exhausting.

Good luck, hopefully things improve.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

thank you :-). i think things will improve.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy... View Post
    I completely lose focus of the big picture /.../ I get carried away with all the little details. It is effecting my performance greatly. I am also very very harsh on myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyst View Post
    I start getting tunnel vision and things that used to be simple tasks seem to feel like I can't handle them on top of everything else I have to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by scortia View Post
    eventually it overflows and I start yelling at people. Most of the time my way of dealing is just collapsing though /.../ Haven't taken care of myself, not exercising, not pursuing my writing or anything else... just in a bad vegetative state every time I had the luxury of getting a break.
    All that + frustration + terrible mood swings + shutting myself off from friends and family + feeling the need to cry all the time (which I do rarely when not stressed) + eating all the time + sleeping all the time + constantly thinking whether I'm stressed or depressed + everything seems black and white + beating myself up all the time for not doing anything about the situation that is causing me stress + posting semi-intelligent and self-deprecating nonsense in internet forums.

Basically just being in a complete standstill or slow-motion, like watching yourself outside of your body and being unable to do anything about the situation.

When not stressed, I'm all smiles and sunshine. This is why it's all so frustrating, like going to a deep freeze and back in a matter of seconds.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    All that + frustration + terrible mood swings + shutting myself off from friends and family + feeling the need to cry all the time (which I do rarely when not stressed) + eating all the time + sleeping all the time + constantly thinking whether I'm stressed or depressed + everything seems black and white + beating myself up all the time for not doing anything about the situation that is causing me stress + posting semi-intelligent and self-deprecating nonsense in internet forums.

Basically just being in a complete standstill or slow-motion, like watching yourself outside of your body and being unable to do anything about the situation.

When not stressed, I'm all smiles and sunshine. This is why it's all so frustrating, like going to a deep freeze and back in a matter of seconds.
    Are you my long, lost twin or something?

In my case, though, the inner workings is...more like trying to read out --all-- aspects of everything including the unreadable (like other people's personality, or to the point of divine intervention) and ended up like, brain overload then temporary BSOD.

And then there's the ordinary whining/confessing to trusted ones up to the point of annoyance...

There's also becoming awfully cynical with life as a whole, before getting awfully idealistic and all optimism when get fired up temporarily and then when it goes down, another BSOD.

It seems we have similar ways to cope under stress. >_>; I wonder about the quality or the "goodness" of this, though.