• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Where to find an INFJ?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
If I think about someone new all week without talking to that person, by the end of the week I'm bored and ready to move on. If you leave me to my own devices, I'll spend too much time imagining all the possibilities. I've already lived every possible outcome from first date to divorce to grandkids, within a week in my head, and it's no longer fun to explore reality with you. So the best thing is to make sure that I don't play it all out in my head...

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ledger hit upon all the fuss.

INFJs have beer-flavored nipples.

marmandahalf

If I think about someone new all week without talking to that person, by the end of the week I'm bored and ready to move on. If you leave me to my own devices, I'll spend too much time imagining all the possibilities. I've already lived every possible outcome from first date to divorce to grandkids, within a week in my head, and it's no longer fun to explore reality with you. So the best thing is to make sure that I don't play it all out in my head...

This totally made me entertain the idea that I have multiple personalities with multiple accounts for a minute there. I'm so with you.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
This totally made me entertain the idea that I have multiple personalities with multiple accounts for a minute there. I'm so with you.

glad to know it's not just me, but it's also scary to know that!!

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
They're probably watching you from the window of a coffee shop
The one that smiles at you then quietly walks away is the INFJ.
Are you guys really that shy
To be shy is to want to seek the person(s) out, but not have the courage

Those quotes relate to my situation, which is as follows:

One day I noticed a familiar face at a local grocery store. It kept me thinking for a couple of days. Then I realized it's a friend of mine from childhood, all grown up now! We haven't seen each other for like 12 years or something. Back then we were really good friends for a couple of years, but his family moved away and I never heard from him after that.

Now, what would anyone do? Go talk to him, of course. Ask how he has been doing all these years and reconnect. Guess what I did? I started "stalking" him in an INFJ kind of way... watching him from afar... behind the shelves... and avoiding him like the plague. I'm gonna get a looney sticker on my forehead when I admit that this has been going on for the last four years now. :yes:

It's not that I'm even that shy... but it has happened nevertheless. Last week I finally wanted to do it, so I prepared our dialog in my head in advance... but once again I just ended up escaping him.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Now, what would anyone do? Go talk to him, of course. Ask how he has been doing all these years and reconnect. Guess what I did? I started "stalking" him in an INFJ kind of way... watching him from afar... behind the shelves... and avoiding him like the plague. I'm gonna get a looney sticker on my forehead when I admit that this has been going on for the last four years now. :yes:

It's not that I'm even that shy... but it has happened nevertheless. Last week I finally wanted to do it, so I prepared our dialog in my head in advance... but once again I just ended up escaping him.

I sincerely am so curious as to what you get out of this experience. If you know that you won't speak with him, why stalk him? I am really trying to understand how this process works for you... what are the benefits vs risks?

Also, I presume you do this with women as well? If so, which feeling is more uncomfortable: speaking to her or beating yourself up about how you didn't speak to her?

Sorry that I'm asking so many questions, this is just so new to me...

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
HAHAHHAHAHA!!!!! are you serious? you are crackin me up. a month is nothing to me!! a month just sweetens thangs. are entps a tad impatient? or am i too lax?

+bazillion

I couldn't possibly jump into something having only known/noticed the girl from a month before. The uncertainty of how serious I am and potential to hurt her because of my vacillation prevents me from moving at too quick a pace.

In the past, this is usually how I think about it (While this may not be logical or correct thinking to some) I can't help but want to be sure this is going to work out before I enter into that zone of vulnerability and drag her into it with me. If I'm not ready, I have no business playing with her heart.

I realize now, thinking like that, I'm never going to start anything unless it's a 100% sure thing (no chance of me being rejected). But that means I never really go for who I want because I've always settled for the 'safe' option even though I've wanted something/someone better.

How do I feel about all that now?
Screw that BS.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I realize now, thinking like that, I'm never going to start anything unless it's a 100% sure thing (no chance of me being rejected). But that means I never really go for who I want because I've always settled for the 'safe' option even though I've wanted something/someone better.

How do I feel about all that now?
Screw that BS.

Seriously, fuck that noise. What do you need to be ready for? If a man talks to me with that sort of intention in mind, I can smell it from a mile away - and it smells like desperation. And I know that's not your intent, right?

A date does not mean marriage. A phone call does not end in hurt feelings. People get way too ahead of themselves - I just want to talk to the boy, not bear his kids... I want to hear him laugh. I was always told that if a man doesn't contact you, he doesn't like you. So it's nice to know that's not the case, but it makes me kinda not like him. But I'll try not to write him off so quickly, I guess... I'll wait another week.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Seriously, fuck that noise. What do you need to be ready for? If a man talks to me with that sort of intention in mind, I can smell it from a mile away - and it smells like desperation. And I know that's not your intent, right?

Right - desperation is not what we operate out of. We just want to be safe. I think externally, we like to think that we're making decisions with the good of the other person in mind, when actually, we've got our own interests in mind and it's all one big contraption for self-protection (i.e. selfishness - thinking of ourselves and not the other person).

Maybe I'm the only INFJ that sees it that way though...

A date does not mean marriage. A phone call does not end in hurt feelings. People get way too ahead of themselves - I just want to talk to the boy, not bear his kids... I want to hear him laugh. I was always told that if a man doesn't contact you, he doesn't like you. So it's nice to know that's not the case, but it makes me kinda not like him. But I'll try not to write him off so quickly, I guess... I'll wait another week.[/QUOTE]

Yea - what you say has a lot of truth to it. My parents and grandparents are constantly on my case that, "Asking a girl out for coffee doesn't mean you have to bring a ring with you". But honestly, because I'm constantly thinking things through so far into the future it's really hard for me to separate my initial interest of "I want to know more about this girl whom I find attractive and interesting" from FINALLY making a decision to pursue the girl - which usually means I'm OVERLY serious.

So from both extremes - once the INFJ enters 'pursuit mode' they need to chill the eff out and enjoy the ride.

marmandahalf

I couldn't possibly jump into something having only known/noticed the girl from a month before. The uncertainty of how serious I am and potential to hurt her because of my vacillation prevents me from moving at too quick a pace.

Ah, herein lies the difference. INFJs see that there are different ways that it could turn out and want to lie dormant until the probable outcome becomes clear. ENTPs see the possibilities and want to jump in and try some of them out. Maybe it's that you guys trust your instincts more, whereas I want to collect data to back up my hypotheses.

lane777

nevermore
Be your usual ENTP self. The one that smiles at you then quietly walks away is the INFJ.

Why do they do that?

I'm very curious about what it means to be shy (not introverted), it's something so foreign to me and I want to understand it.

I do that little number all the time, but it's only because I'm blank (my thoughts are too abstract to put into words :dry:).

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ah, herein lies the difference. INFJs see that there are different ways that it could turn out and want to lie dormant until the probable outcome becomes clear. ENTPs see the possibilities and want to jump in and try some of them out. Maybe it's that you guys trust your instincts more, whereas I want to collect data to back up my hypotheses.

Perhaps.

I think, rather than having a hunch/instinct about something, we have a certain hope for how it will turn out and we won't act until we're pretty sure that hope will cometo fruition. (at least that's how I was as an under-developed INFJ)

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Perhaps.

I think, rather than having a hunch/instinct about something, we have a certain hope for how it will turn out and we won't act until we're pretty sure that hope will cometo fruition. (at least that's how I was as an under-developed INFJ)

Ok, for some reason, I just got incredibly impatient. I am going to call a friend and get his number and call him right now. Done.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
I sincerely am so curious as to what you get out of this experience. If you know that you won't speak with him, why stalk him? I am really trying to understand how this process works for you... what are the benefits vs risks?

I'm not calculating benefits vs risks in that situation. And, in fact, there are no risks whatsoever. I could just go say hi. If it doesn't work out, so what, we weren't close anymore anyway. If it works out, it's a nice reconnection.

It's just extremely awkward. What should I say? He does often serve customers as well, so if I talked to him, a waiting line would form behind me. That's the easy way out of the conversation ("gotta go, you seem to be busy"), but then I'd feel like a fool... talking so little after so many years. I could, of course, ask if he wanted to meet later on a better time, but would he even want that... I mean... suddenly... after so long time ago... I'm just thinking the situation through from his possible perspectives as well as my own. Basically it prevents me from acting.

And, I actually don't know will I ever talk to him. I plan to do it every now and then just to get it out of my system. I just don't know whether I'll really do it this time. And I don't necessarily stalk him that much; I occasionally go there for mere shopping as well. I have to be careful not to be seen by him, though... :cheese:

Also, I presume you do this with women as well? If so, which feeling is more uncomfortable: speaking to her or beating yourself up about how you didn't speak to her?

I don't change my behavior depending on the other person's gender, but if you mean whether I act the same way with romantic contacts, then... yes and no. Every situation is unique. Sometimes I'm very straightforward, sometimes I'm everything but that.

Whenever I let something become a long cycle, it kind of feeds on itself and breaking the cycle is difficult. If I had gone talking to my friend early on, it would have been much easier than it is now years after.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Ha, I got his work number so he had to answer the phone. He was stunned and wanted to call me back but I told him no. I found out he plays tennis, so we are meeting on Monday for a match. (I'll try not to bring it too hard on the court...) I didn't give him my number so he can't call (or text) to cancel. He seemed pretty happy. Done.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
What would happen if he saw you and approached you? Would you feel compelled to get the hell out of there quickly?

I don't change my behavior depending on the other person's gender, but if you mean whether I act the same way with romantic contacts, then... yes and no.

Sorry, the wording was awkward since I was mentally referring to my own situation, but yeah, I was talking about romantic interests.

marmandahalf

Ha, I got his work number so he had to answer the phone. He was stunned and wanted to call me back but I told him no. I found out he plays tennis, so we are meeting on Monday for a match. (I'll try not to bring it too hard on the court...) I didn't give him my number so he can't call (or text) to cancel. He seemed pretty happy. Done.

Yay! If what I've read is true, he'll love you for your ENTPness (heh), and this is classic.

Last edited:

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yay! If what I've read is true, he'll love you for your ENTPness (heh), and this is classic.

??? - to the bolded part.
I hope it doesn't scare him off, but if it does, then I know that he's not the right person for me anyway.
But since I know his I style, I've already made back up plans just in case (a girl can't sit on a court alone, now can she?)

It kind of makes me want to do something similar with my INFJ...

You have one also? Dish the dirt please!!

marmandahalf

??? - to the bolded part.
I hope it doesn't scare him off, but if it does, then I know that he's not the right person for me anyway.
But since I know his I style, I've already made back up plans just in case (a girl can't sit on a court alone, now can she?)

Bolded part= just what I've read about INFJ/ENTP interactions. That's why I love INFJs so friggin much. They seem to love us for the things that the rest of the world reviles us for.

Re: back-up plans: Of course you did :)

Last edited: