• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why NFs think that they understand NTs ?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
A safe place that can be reasoned with and can cook... :harhar:

That's a good start. :thumbup:

Anyway, I've found that NTs understand best . . . by far, though NFs are better at getting it than SJs, for example. I don't think NTs usually claim to understand NFs. It's generally that, ime, NFs claim they know NTs better than they actually do.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I will presume you are talking to me Pink.

This is not the first time that I trigger this kind of a reaction just by saying things about me. I am pretty sure that my claims can look awful to someone but I think this is not the case. Since my life philosophy is different then a pholosophy of NFs.

Just because I am like this for the most part that does not mean I can't make a joke from time to time. Also people tend to think that I am depressed all the time. This is somthing I am fighting my whole life and it seems that I can't prove my point.

As fror life choices to which I can't relate to, a good example would be : Would you prefer chocolate or vanila ice cream ?
Which is because I don't see any real differences in both options. So if I have to choose I will make a random choice.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so...i don't wish to make assumptions but you mentioned having underdeveloped fi. does that mean that you just don't KNOW yourself intimately in that way...you feel disconnected to any sort of core beliefs or values. you have no compass so you just make shit up when a choice is pressed upon you? and you see this intellectually and it doesn't bother you on an emotional level but it confuses you somewhat that others don't function this way or their reaction to you that you do?

just trying to understand...um...the point. : /

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Apathy about things isn't rare. Plenty of people on this forum (though maybe not NFs...?) can even identify with that, probably, and how it can be annoying to explain your choice and motives later. (I will presume more serious examples than ice cream, choices where you are forced to decide something, as you said)

The only things I've seen you write that struck me as really odd are things such as preferring to eat in the dark, and the only reason is because almost no one does that.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
so...okay but...what's the bloody point? what is the objective in this discussion. i'd like to help but i just don't know what you want.

because it sounds like you are confused why we value our way of relating...does it bother you that we can only sense how you feel and not know what you think? because...backatcha...that should be the lesson. just realize your limitation as we realize ours and accept that it's different....not less than...just different.

Well, the point is just to chit chat about our differences nothing more.

The word "bother" is a little bit too strong for this but you got the right idea.
I know that tests are not reliable completely and that there is no 100% T but I score 80-100% T always. When I took my first test and did not know what MBTI actually is I got 90%. So I am pretty sure I am not not deluding myself.
Plus my life experiance clearly shows that I my thinking side is quite well developed.

The reason why I have named the thread the way I did is because it looks to me that (N)Fs tend to ignore the largest part of me. Instead they focus much more on my undeveloped feeling side and become horrified with what they see. While they tend to ignore the main thing.

I would dare to say that most NTs have more developed feeling side then myself so it is probably easier to see them as a complete people if you are watching from your perspective.
I not looking for acknowledgement here I am just wondering why.
Since all of this rises the question are you interested in people or you are intrested in their emotions. (generally speaking of course)

On the other all people with which I have developed "stronger" relations are Ts. (NTs and SPs) What can't be a coincidence.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
so...i don't wish to make assumptions but you mentioned having underdeveloped fi. does that mean that you just don't KNOW yourself intimately in that way...you feel disconnected to any sort of core beliefs or values. you have no compass so you just make shit up when a choice is pressed upon you? and you see this intellectually and it doesn't bother you on an emotional level but it confuses you somewhat that others don't function this way or their reaction to you that you do?

just trying to understand...um...the point. : /

Well my Fi is not 0. I clearly have some personal goals and standards.
Actually I know myself quite well since I most of my life the only person that way around was me. Plus there is no much to understand.

Another thing is that my Fi in real life is totally warped into logic so it can be very hard to see it as such. When I am analising don't think watch things emotionally. It is just that in the and I take a look at how this fist in the master plan.

No it doesn't confuse me how people are functioning. But that does not mean that I agree with their approach.

The only things I've seen you write that struck me as really odd are things such as preferring to eat in the dark, and the only reason is because almost no one does that.

Don't you think it is interesting that you are the only sensor in the thread and it is you who are pointing at this ?

This is something that is typical for people with developed N.
Since darkness allows to disconnect from reality even further so that we can use our N properly/fully.

It is not starnge that you don't find anything here to be that weird. Which is because we have a lot of similarities (if we overlook S/N thing.)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cim points to it because it IS "strange". As exciting as echo location is, the majority of the human populace requires light to find their food.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Cim points to it because it IS "strange". As exciting as echo location is, the majority of the human populace requires light to find their food.

I admit that this is unusual trait. But I don't do this in all cases.
The thing is that I am not really concentrated on eating since I am lost in my head most of the time. So if I have the minimum of light I will be fine.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I admit that this is unusual trait. But I don't do this in all cases.
The thing is that I am not really concentrated on eating since I am lost in my head most of the time. So if I have the minimum of light I will be fine.

You mean survival? Sounds like a plan :sleeping:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do that too, but when I'm drawing or reading. Light will just about vanish and I won't notice.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You have given a few theories

1. NF's think they understand NT's

2. NF's don't understand NT's

3. NF's don't understand NT's like they think they do.

4. There is a problem in communication between NF and NT.

I don't see proof on any of these, and yet you continue to act as if there is proof. I don't see a point to this thread other than grandstanding.

If an NF responds logically to this thread they are dismissed as much as if an NF speaks emotionally. If someone mistypes themselves as NT would you be more likely to listen to them as if they are less emotional?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If someone mistypes themselves as NT would you be more likely to listen to them as if they are less emotional?

When I first started with this theory, I was like this. I'd often ignore an NTs emotions and assume they were nothing more than a projection on my part, or simply a result of the NT malfunctioning and expressing random, inappropriate emotions due to stress.

I found out later that some of them like to be treated like people and engaged on an emotional level, and didn't like the "extremely analytical and detached," "computer-like," or "dismissive" responses to their feelings (which occurred because I had convinced myself any emotion I saw in them was an illusion or mistake, and they couldn't appreciate that kind of attention anyway). Who knew? At first, I assumed this meant they were mistyped, but it did appear pretty consistently.

Calling the other two "shadow" functions and implying that their appearance indicates a psychic malfunction is a very dangerous theory to be included so casually, I must say.

heart

heart on fire

Just for the reason to see that it is not spoiled, crawling with bugs (summertime ants etc.). Seems just an instictive thing to want to see what one is shoveling into the pie hole.

On the other all people with which I have developed "stronger" relations are Ts. (NTs and SPs) What can't be a coincidence.

It just seems like your preference. What does it really matter in the larger scheme of things?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
When I first started with this theory, I was like this. I'd often ignore an NTs emotions and assume they were nothing more than a projection on my part, or simply a result of the NT malfunctioning and expressing random, inappropriate emotions due to stress<snip>

I hope you were just thinking about it and writing your thoughts.

I actually meant AO dismissing NF's because he thinks they act a certain way that isn't as acceptable as NT's.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it that really that hard to accept that a person does not feel over some period of time? (if we take classical everyday definition of feelings)

No, it is not that hard to accept. What is hard to accept is the notion that NFs are always right or wrong about their NT counterparts. It defies logic because it defies probability.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, it is not that hard to accept. What is hard to accept is the notion that NFs are always right or wrong about their NT counterparts. It defies logic because it defies probability.

Indeed. The switch has more positions than "on" and "off".

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I hope you were just thinking about it and writing your thoughts.

Yeah, I was.
I actually meant AO dismissing NF's because he thinks they act a certain way that isn't as acceptable as NT's.

Oh, now that's hard to understand. We always try to be good, helpful, accommodating, or compassionate in some way. Sometimes we're not, but we always try. NF behavior seems perfectly acceptable, it's a lot less harsh. I can't see why he would say that.

I hope he tells us.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
You have given a few theories

1. NF's think they understand NT's

2. NF's don't understand NT's

3. NF's don't understand NT's like they think they do.

4. There is a problem in communication between NF and NT.

I don't see proof on any of these, and yet you continue to act as if there is proof. I don't see a point to this thread other than grandstanding.

If an NF responds logically to this thread they are dismissed as much as if an NF speaks emotionally. If someone mistypes themselves as NT would you be more likely to listen to them as if they are less emotional?

I think you are making this balck and white and this is not the case.
In on of my posts I have said that you can understand a large part of us but some parts will probably stay out of reach. Simply becuse you have a problem "vizualizing" the proces.

I think that 3 and 4 are somewhat true.

But you are wrong if you think that I will favour NT person over NF person just because this one is NT. Which is because I think about things and I take the option that has makes most sense to me. it is irrelavant who actually said it.

But truth to be told I have a problem finding a common ground with (N)Fs in general.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
You mean survival? Sounds like a plan :sleeping:

I mean that I eat but I am not conentrated on it.
I eat reagulary and my body mass is just about right.

It just seems like your preference. What does it really matter in the larger scheme of things?

I am not sure that it is a preferance it is just that in most cases there is no real attraction between us.