• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why NFs think that they understand NTs ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Why do you assume that NF pity NT?

Because there are cases when they clearly do. I donk know how many times I have triggered this attitude in Fs by my approach to things. (here and real life)

Usually they say that they should not feel this way becuse I am satisfied with who I am. But there is something that makes them quite sad when it comes to me.

And something tells me that that they mean what they say.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pity all you want, we know better. :D

(Very heavily loaded comment, teehee.)

heart

heart on fire
Because there are cases when they clearly do. I donk know how many times I have triggered this attitude in Fs by my approach to things. (here and real life)

Usually they say that they should not feel this way becuse I am satisfied with who I am. But there is something that makes them quite sad when it comes to me.

And something tells me that that they mean what they say.

You are only one NT here out of many and you've named yourself Antisocial One and many of your posts are asking for advice about everyday social life, so you've sort of set that situation up that you're this misunderstood lone wolf type and need special understanding, help and sympathy and all that.

It still doesn't explain why the assumption that NF pity NT as a whole.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
so you've sort of set that situation up that you're this misunderstood lone wolf type and need special understanding and sympathy and all that.

I understand that point of view, but it's a wrong assumption when it comes to NT's though. We don't need sympathy in that manner. Well, don't get me wrong, I love sympathy at times concerning happenings and events. But we don't need sympathy for who we are.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think she mean AO, not all NT's. AO has set themselves up as the lone wolf...

heart

heart on fire
I understand that point of view, but it's a wrong assumption when it comes to NT's though. We don't need sympathy in that manner. Well, don't get me wrong, I love sympathy at times concerning happenings and events. But we don't need sympathy for who we are.

Yes, I understand this. But I am trying to help AO see how he triggers responses in others. Whether they are right or wrong does not matter, they will continue to do so. That's the way human nature and the world works. He's almost flawlessly playing into what someone else would see as a character who needs lots of sympathy.

And I understand how frustrating it could be. I am very quiet in offline life. People assume this means many things. They assume that I am weak, insecure, stupid, a pushover, cold-natured, bad attitude, don't care about others... etc. These assumptions trigger certain responses from them in kind. The most invasive is the person who is going to "fix" me and help me overcome all of this and somehow become ESTJ or something. Ha ha, never going to happen! But they still keep trying. People 20 years younger than me want to fix me. :D

I can wail all I want about how unfair it is, how they don't understand me, but the bottomline is in their way of seeing the world I am sending out messages that they take certain ways. And I have yet to meet a person who held thes assumptions who would actually listen to my explainations and take my word for who I am. We can do little about other's assumptions of us. People who are quick to make assumptions don't really want to hear any other way or they can't. I am not sure which.

I think she mean AO, not all NT's. AO has set themselves up as the lone wolf...

Yes, exactly.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
You are only one NT here out of many and you've named yourself Antisocial One and many of your posts are asking for advice about everyday social life, so you've sort of set that situation up that you're this misunderstood lone wolf type and need special understanding, help and sympathy and all that.

It still doesn't explain why the assumption that NF pity NT as a whole.

I was think you wil say that. But to be honest I think that this happens all the time. It is just that it is far more expressed in my case.
Or I simply have the wrong picture about the word "pity"

heart

heart on fire
I was think you wil say that. But to be honest I think that this happens all the time. It is just that it is far more expressed in my case.
Or I simply have the wrong picture about the word "pity"

I am taking the word pity to mean that they feel you are too withdrawn, isolated from others and that it is their place to help you loosen up and open up? That they feel sad because they feel you are missing out on a vital part of life? Is this correct?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't necesserilly agree with Synarch's point about caring making us better at understanding (unless by caring he meant caring to understand, in which case, I'd point out that NTs care to understand stuff like physics [anecdotal example] etc too).

Take psychologists for instances. And there are a lot of NF ones. They don't care for the psycho murderers they treat (well I'm sure, like in anything else, there's an exception to the rule). But they are fascinated by those people's personalities and devote themselves to study them.

I wasn't actually saying something so much as genuinely asking you (and anybody else who is reading and cares to comment) - what, analogically speaking , are NFs inherently more proficient at, when compared to the NTs' ability to do logic?

Also I was implying that people people are called so because they know how to cater to people's interests because they have an easier time understanding them (compared to non people people).
You're still doing that thing where you refuse to actually make a point. I can't really make it on your behalf.

I don't think many NTs have the first clue about logic. Just because they assign value to it doesn't mean they are all skilled logicians. And "people people" are interested in people, yes. And frequently know how to get people to do what they want, yes. Humans are pretty much susceptible to the same sort of tactics when it comes to ingratiating yourself so a broad understanding of human nature is implied. And an understanding of MBTI will give you a superficial understanding of NTs as a group. I don't think that's what the OP meant though. Although who really ever knows what he means....

I don't know what NFs are good at. What are you good at?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am taking the word pity to mean that they feel you are too withdrawn, isolated from others and that it is their place to help you loosen up and open up? That they feel sad because they feel you are missing out on a vital part of life? Is this correct?

Yes but that is not all.

Sometimes I can really trigger " You know what? I trully feel sorry for you. "

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I'm good at coming up with ways to tease NTs about how quirky, childish, and unsophisticated their emotions are compared to mine, and how oblivious they are to the meaning of and appropriate response to other people's reactions. ;)

(I'm kidding, of course.)

heart

heart on fire
Yes but that is not all.

Sometimes I can really trigger " You know what? I trully feel sorry for you. "

Do they say why? Because without context it sounds really rude of them to say that...edit at least it would be in USA culture.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Do they say why? Because without context it sounds really rude of them to say that.

Well, ths context is pretty much everything I have been posting here. (games included)
You can't really blame people for this I since I really am not coperative.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You're still doing that thing where you refuse to actually make a point. I can't really make it on your behalf.

I don't think many NTs have the first clue about logic. Just because they assign value to it doesn't mean they are all skilled logicians. And "people people" are interested in people, yes. And frequently know how to get people to do what they want, yes. Humans are pretty much susceptible to the same sort of tactics when it comes to ingratiating yourself so a broad understanding of human nature is implied. And an understanding of MBTI will give you a superficial understanding of NTs as a group. I don't think that's what the OP meant though. Although who really ever knows what he means....

I'm saying, in theory, NFs are inherently better suited to understand NTs as people than the other way around. And I'm also saying that, in theory, NFs are inherently better suited to understand people in general than any T.

Just like it makes sense in my head to say that, in theory, (N)Ts are inherently better suited to deal with logic. Ti deals with logical consistency and Fi with emotional/feeling consistency .

What you said about MBTI is valid for any temperament and I do agree of course. There's nothing conclusive about MBTI, so this whole thing can only be discussed subjectively.

NFs? They are people people, that was what I was saying. INFs less so, in a classical sense, but still. Me personally?I can moonwalk. :moonwalk:

heart

heart on fire
Well, ths context is pretty much everything I have been posting here. (games included)
You can't really blame people for this I since I really am not coperative.

Well, I still don't quite understand the view you seem to have that your interaction here and the responses you recieved in return were really all that unusual or provocative in relation to anything else on the forum. You engaged NF on an admittedly emotional level and got responses on that level. I'd be really surprised if many of them will carry grudges. Some people even played back at you and you called them children. So then people are not sure what you want. You send out mixed messages. If you do this, you can't blame others for not understanding you. They can only know you from what you say and do. If you play with people, you must expect to be toyed with back.

But if you play games with people, you really have to expect to get some negative reactions in return because not everyone likes to play or be played with. If the game is more important to you than getting along with others then that is a decision you make and accept the fallout.

Many introverts, even INF, get the same comments about being cold, uninvolved, bad attitude thing applied to them and assumptions made about their true nature which may not be true. They get the "I feel sorry for him/her because they are so withdrawn" Some of this is just part of dealing with humans and human nature and why it is a relief to find a place to chat with other introverts.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm saying, in theory, NFs are inherently better suited to understand NTs as people than the other way around. And I'm also saying that, in theory, NFs are inherently better suited to understand people in general than any T.
Hmmm...who was it that grouped people into those categories again...?
Some psychologist called Keirsey? I wonder what his type might be.....

. Me personally?I can moonwalk. :moonwalk:
:wubbie:

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
to the op:
because they actually do.
YOU JUST DON'T KNOW IT YET.

that's okay, your final conversion/unrealized self-realizations will be all the more sweet.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
your fighting/thrashing about only makes you more appealing.