• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why NFs think that they understand NTs ?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think many NF's have a better time understanding NT's than the converse as they are naturally more people oriented, ie. they care enough to try to understand.

Since when did caring = understanding?

Sometimes caring gets in the way of understanding. I think if they didn't idealize us quite so much, they'd like us much less...

heart

heart on fire
^ I don't idealize NT at all. I don't think NT are superior, just different. I like some NT and I don't like others and others I am indifferent about...just like all the other temperments. In the end, people are people not types. Types just explain their inner preferences of how a person thinks but not their souls.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Sometimes caring gets in the way of understanding. I think if they didn't idealize us quite so much, they'd like us much less...

Well credit where credit is due. If you guys are proficient with logic and this is supposed to be a dichotomy...what can we do exactly, in your eyes?

All the "people" people are Fs are they not?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, the fact that written words often lack tone is often a major factor in such things as well. I said it before on this board but a simple example is "Hey!" and "Hey!". One could be said in a friendly manner, the other in a what the hell manner. But the reader might not be able to extrapolate which is which. :)

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

Great point, actually. You win this round.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NT's idealize NT's as a natural cause and effect.

But much in the same way most types idealize their own types. It fits their profile after all. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is it just possible that lots of NFs are interested in psychology and sociology? Since NF is "feeling centered" do they apply their analysis skills toward people (and politics) more so than to abstract, logic-based ideas like NTs? Could that be all that's really going on here?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
BTW, I don't idealize NTs either. At all.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I accidently set the shed in the garden on fire and then I mixed the water bottle with the turpentine bottle and the fire is now still burning for 8 hours.

So whats for dinner darling ? :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it just possible that lots of NFs are interested in psychology and sociology? Since NF is "feeling centered" do they apply their analysis skills toward people (and politics) more so than to abstract, logic-based ideas like NTs? Could that be all that's really going on here?

Well, nothing about these things tend to be as simple as that. For each individual there are most likely tons of factors that play a role in this.

But as a fundament I think you're basicly right. Sorta. Apart from the all part. There's most definatly more than just that going on. :)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Did anything in the threads you have created help you at all?

Yes it did.

Just the very fact that someone got annoyed was insightful. Since my main social weakness is group dinamic. Average person would never see this as something insightful. But for me it was. Since it shows how far I can push without becoming rude.

A number of people got used to me over the years in real life but my ability to make a connection with a real stranger was quite undeveloped.

Basicly it all comes down to learning of social/type dinamic. Which I never knew too well. What is because I am alone through my entire life. I have simply came in a closed circle.

But this does not mean I will stop to post or that will never make another thread about feelings with time.
However I think/know that my forum persona will be more real me from this point since I will cut this "clowning".

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ultimatly though A-one, a good friend is only a good friend if he accepts you for who you really are.

I'm not saying it's not good to adjust in order to socialize. But I also think it's important to be able to be yourself among friends. Very important in fact.

People tend to be very accepting, if they know you have no ill intentions, whatever you say or do. (As long as you don't abuse it at least.)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well credit where credit is due. If you guys are proficient with logic and this is supposed to be a dichotomy...what can we do exactly, in your eyes?

All the "people" people are Fs are they not?
I don't understand your point.

Elaur said:
Who idealizes NT's? Seriously?
Pity, might have been a better term.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

It does for me quite often, actually. I stop short of doing the sort of things I'd need to do to people to understand them fully, because, being an F, I care how it would affect them.

I suppose I only like them because sometimes they seem to like me back and enjoy having me around, although I know I'm probably imagining it (or they're tricking me to examine my reaction). They're also fairly interesting to talk to about many subjects. Since I don't have many other friends, I'll make do. They're not perfect, but at least they're one step above imaginary friends and video game characters. ;)

I only idealize their intelligence. The rest of their personality actually tends to seem rather broken, quirky, and prone to malfunction. I imagine this is how most types are outside their areas of strength, though.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I look at NT's as other slightly crazy people.

I made friends with NT's before I knew anything about MBTI. I think one of my INTJ friends is awesome but I still know about his struggles that he doesn't show the world. A few other my other INTJ friends have visible struggles that they have worked through and are working through. What is there to idealize or misunderstand that isn't there in everyone?

NT's seem pretty straight forward, actually. I thought that was one of the things that was a source of pride for NTs. They try to say what they mean and mean what they say.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you assume that NF pity NT?

I was being self-deprecating. Or rather, I was deprecating NTs. (They likes it.)

Excuse me, I forgot I was in the NF forum and should have used one of these :D

I look at NT's as other slightly crazy people.
Gotta love them people people skillz!

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't understand your point.

I don't necesserilly agree with Synarch's point about caring making us better at understanding (unless by caring he meant caring to understand, in which case, I'd point out that NTs care to understand stuff like physics [anecdotal example] etc too).

Take psychologists for instances. And there are a lot of NF ones. They don't care for the psycho murderers they treat (well I'm sure, like in anything else, there's an exception to the rule). But they are fascinated by those people's personalities and devote themselves to study them.

I wasn't actually saying something so much as genuinely asking you (and anybody else who is reading and cares to comment) - what, analogically speaking , are NFs inherently more proficient at, when compared to the NTs' ability to do logic?

Also I was implying that people people are called so because they know how to cater to people's interests because they have an easier time understanding them (compared to non people people).