User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

Results 181 to 190 of 504

  1. #181
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Actually, I think for some folks, the availability and sensitivity to conducting a 'logical approach' to life can be paralytic.

    The desire (urgency) to behave reasonably can intellectually freeze behavior, both as an expression of contemplation and insecurity at the notion of failure (being 'illogical' in thought/practice).

    Of course, this methodology suffers from the same extremism as the 'thin-skinned' ideology currently under review. Intensity of focus and efficiency in movement don't always march in cadence; more often than not, the greater visibility one has, at some point, must successfully integrate with mechanical effort for it to have real-world 'relevance' - both in external reinforcement for the user and real-time application for his theories.

    Unless satisfaction is derived from the relationship between paralysis and wisdom. Fleshing this connection is probably more about what one seeks on an individual level.



    Thanks -

    What do you think of Amargith's counterpoint? Does emotion/logic exist on a continuum where one's 'ideal' frame of reference is centered on moderation in awareness?

    That is to say, do people who know a 'good amount' have a greater chance at implementation than those who only have a slight -or- profound understanding of either/both trait? (Think of the Bell Curve and real world success)

    1. To be honest I think you have a hole in your logic. Which is that you presume that NTs are "suffering" becuse of their logic.
    disagree with that because I think that their emotions are what is creating problems for them. Since they feel that they are not doing it good enough. It is their emotions that is "the problem" in cases.
    Especially since many don't know how to deal with them and they start to feel less and less logical because of that. What creates a closed circle.
    On the other hand this is exactly why NFs can see them as alive or think they are sweet.



    I am saying all of this from experiance. Since I have gone too far in thinking/logic and I have lost a "soul" in the process. I am so thickskined that people are wondering if I even have something expect that skin.
    Actually I think that this analogy with skin is wrong in my case. Since emotions simply go through me so I don't have to fight them and in a way I can't. The only thing I have is that minimum of Fi that keeps me going.
    What means that I don't have a problems with confidance, depression , self pitying, crying and stuff like this.
    Maybe I am wrong but I think that all people find this intimidating. Especially if you add a lot of Ni and Te into the mix.



    2. Yes, understanding is the key of implementation.

  2. #182
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    1. To be honest I think you have a hole in your logic. Which is that you presume that NTs are "suffering" becuse of their logic.
    disagree with that because I think that their emotions are what is creating problems for them. Since they feel that they are not doing it good enough. It is their emotions that is "the problem" in cases.
    Especially since many don't know how to deal with them and they start to feel less and less logical because of that. What creates a closed circle.
    On the other hand this is exactly why NFs can see them as alive or think they are sweet.
    Ah. I should have been more clear in my language.

    I wasn't suggesting that wisdom and suffering are mutually braided terms; in truth, the advent of either requires far greater psychological examination than a simple alienation/acceptance sociological breakdown.

    As I (briefly) mentioned, the relationship between paralytic logical analysis and psychological burden is an individual experience; no two people are likley to respond the same variables in exactly the same way. Taken further, it's even less reasonable to presume that emotion is universally felt the same way, or that it is conceived with the same ingredients.

    Quite the contrary, actually - as we know from personal experience, it is unlikely that a single emotion will remain a constant, motivational force in our lives (short of chemical imbalance - see: Depression; ADD; etc.) Instead, we enjoy an ecosystem of emotion as a response to, and means to better interact with, stimuli in our environment.

    Emotion itself is transient; its expression (and what brings it on) is more about the individual/culture of origin than it is about the emotion as an ideal unto itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    2. Yes, understanding is the key of implementation.
    Does understanding necessarily require implementation for it be valid? Or does implementation simply extrapolate theory into behavior, thereby transforming one's internal 'model' into something entirely foreign to its origin?

  3. #183
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith

    I'm sure you can tell when someone dislikes you. But I doubt you pick up on every subtle emotion you cause in others and actually feel what they feel or are probably feeling . Otherwise I'm pretty sure you would care.
    I doubt you can either, in truth. Though I've no doubt that you believe you can. Abandoning delusions is liberating. And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care if I could. I don't take ownership of other people's emotional states. Also liberating.
    Damn! It's good to be NT!

    ETA: If you can choose to stop caring what others think of you, as you say you can, why don't you just do so more often? Or are you not in any control of that ?

    I think placing too much importance on what others think of oneself is actually just a sign of immaturity rather than a distiguishing feature of F-ness. Just as being completely insensitive to others feelings is not a defining T trait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  4. #184
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Actually, I think for some folks, the availability and sensitivity to conducting a 'logical approach' to life can be paralytic.
    One cannot be too logical. It is binary and beautiful and entirely benign. Effective logic will prove that an exclusively "logical approach" to life is a flawed approach.
    You seem to be heading down the same road as wildcat in the Asperger's thread. It is the deficit that is the problem, not the gift.

    Paralysis and an inability to act or implement solutions is related to fear, and is therefore irrational. Again Logic is not at fault, although the individual's logic may well be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #185
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    One cannot be too logical.
    Can one be too emotional?

    What does this suggest about the inherent efficacy of their comparison?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Effective logic will prove that an exclusively "logical approach" to life is a flawed approach.
    You seem to be heading down the same road as wildcat in the Asperger's thread. It is the deficit that is the problem, not the gift.

    Paralysis and an inability to act or implement solutions is related to fear, and is therefore irrational. Again Logic is not at fault, although the individual's logic may well be.
    Very well said.

    What then is the purpose of implementation of 'prudent' theory (Antisocial's as-yet unanswered question), especially as it relates to the associated theory of its origin?

    Does 'reproduction' create honest reconciliation with imagination? If not, is it ever possible to sincerely balance thought with movement, so that neither side is sacrificed?

  6. #186
    Senior Member Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    My cold, rational, mechanical explanation:

    Assumptions made for the following:
    You're a human.
    You don't have traumatic brain damage.

    Thus:
    You have a limbic system. Simplified, it makes you feel things (and effects your memory).

    Quick diagnostic:
    Answer this: do you ever get hungry? If you answered yes, that means your hypothalamus (one small but important component of the limbic system) is functional. Mazel tov.

    Now that you've found that your hypothalamus is functional, you also know by extension that you: have a fight/flight response, and you have a desire for sex, among other things. Why? Because the hypothalamus also controls/strongly influences these functions. They are all related to basic emotions that people feel.

    So to answer your question:

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Is it that really that hard to accept that a person does not feel over some period of time? (if we take classical everyday definition of feelings)
    Assuming you have a hypothalamus, than yes, it is very hard to accept that a person does not feel over some period of time.
    Last edited by Bamboo; 05-23-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: clarity
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  7. #187
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    ETA: If you can choose to stop caring what others think of you, as you say you can, why don't you just do so more often? Or are you not in any control of that ?

    I think placing too much importance on what others think of oneself is actually just a sign of immaturity rather than a distiguishing feature of F-ness. Just as being completely insensitive to others feelings is not a defining T trait.
    I choose to take on board and consider what other think as it can improve communications. I don't assume that my way is perfect, and if they have suggestions as how to improve, I'll gladly consider them. I don't turn it off more often as I don't like creating a divide between people. If I'm able to understand where they come from, we have a better chance at working things out. Sure, it is possible to overdo this, as the pain from poorly formulated critiscism is something you automatically want to avoid.

    And I'd say that being completely insensitive is the other side of the medal. It's just another cooping mechanism for dealing with what others think of you. And a trait often found in unhealthy NTs.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  8. #188
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I choose to take on board and consider what other think as it can improve communications. I don't assume that my way is perfect, and if they have suggestions as how to improve, I'll gladly consider them. I don't turn it off more often as I don't like creating a divide between people. If I'm able to understand where they come from, we have a better chance at working things out. Sure, it is possible to overdo this, as the pain from poorly formulated critiscism is something you automatically want to avoid.

    And I'd say that being completely insensitive is the other side of the medal. It's just another cooping mechanism for dealing with what others think of you. And a trait often found in unhealthy NTs.
    I don't understand this extremity. Why does there have to be a divide or a need to work something out? If I don't care about every single subtle (possibly irrational) emotion, does this then mean that we can't get along? Or that I am incapable of "connecting" with others?

    Also are you talking about being insensitive to one's own emotions, or to those of others?

  9. #189
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,694

    Default

    Ah. I should have been more clear in my language.

    I wasn't suggesting that wisdom and suffering are mutually braided terms; in truth, the advent of either requires far greater psychological examination than a simple alienation/acceptance sociological breakdown.

    As I (briefly) mentioned, the relationship between paralytic logical analysis and psychological burden is an individual experience; no two people are likley to respond the same variables in exactly the same way. Taken further, it's even less reasonable to presume that emotion is universally felt the same way, or that it is conceived with the same ingredients.

    Quite the contrary, actually - as we know from personal experience, it is unlikely that a single emotion will remain a constant, motivational force in our lives (short of chemical imbalance - see: Depression; ADD; etc.) Instead, we enjoy an ecosystem of emotion as a response to, and means to better interact with, stimuli in our environment.

    Emotion itself is transient; its expression (and what brings it on) is more about the individual/culture of origin than it is about the emotion as an ideal unto itself.
    Ok, but what are you actually trying to imply with this.



    Does understanding necessarily require implementation for it be valid? Or does implementation simply extrapolate theory into behavior, thereby transforming one's internal 'model' into something entirely foreign to its origin.
    Well, sometimes you can do things which you don't understand but in general you need understanding to ensure good implementation. (unless you are experimenting)

    At least that is my Jish opinion.

  10. #190
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Can one be too emotional?

    What does this suggest about the inherent efficacy of their comparison?
    I don't understand where this comparison has come from. Logic and emotion are not at opposite ends of a continuum. Logic doesn't have an opposite. Neither does emotion. Individual emotions may have opposites. Like love and hate, although many would argue that the opposite of love is actually indifference, and the opposite of feeling is not feeling, (i.e., it isn't Thinking).

    There is a time and place for logic, and a time and place for emotion, and never the twain shall meet, as anyone who has tried to reason with someone in the grip of a strong emotion - be it love, hate, jealousy, fear - will testify. Similarly, one doesn't want a lover to recite Kant whilst in the throes of ecstasy.

    Context is all.

    Thinkers are just as susceptible to being overcome by emotion as Feelers.

    The difference is in the value attributed to that state. Thinkers who value feeling too little, or even fear it, are at risk of alienation from self and others and of making errors in judgment. Feelers who value it too much, are susceptible to gullibility and whimsy and making errors in judgment.
    Both states can be said to be irrational.

    What then is the purpose of implementation of 'prudent' theory (Antisocial's as-yet unanswered question), especially as it relates to the associated theory of its origin?
    "Prudent theory"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial One
    Since I have gone too far in thinking/logic and I have lost a "soul" in the process. I am so thickskined that people are wondering if I even have something expect that skin.
    I don't think you have gone too far. I think you still have a long way to go. You have simply neglected your emotional life. It isn't necessary to choose one or the other. Both are important. Perhaps the neglect came first and the obsession with logic is symptomatic, rather than causal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    And I'd say that being completely insensitive is the other side of the medal. It's just another cooping mechanism for dealing with what others think of you. And a trait often found in unhealthy NTs.
    It's not a coping mechanism. It is a GENUINE insensitivity to what other's think of them. That in itself is not a fault. It's only a fault if it leads a person to treat others unfairly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Similar Threads

  1. Why people think that US has a government ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-07-2017, 07:38 AM
  2. Can this be the reason why Ns think that sensors are "stupid" ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 03-10-2015, 05:02 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 01:55 AM
  4. [NT] Why I think that the world as we know it is doomed.
    By Virtual ghost in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO