• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP, the moral rational?

Qre:us

Fi Ne Si/Te:

Example?
Case study: INFP mama

1) Animals - ethics (with the F-twist)

My INFP mama on why not to leave our pet bird out while her friends may gather in the house.

Me: Is it because it annoys the guests? Because, if it's not a formal get-togther, just your friends dropping by, why would you feel the need to move her?

Mama: It's inhumane, because they don't understand her (the bird)....so when they laugh at her tricks/antics, it's not like us (meaning the family), who have learned and now understand her ways.

Me: :huh:

2) Belly button ring

Me: I wanna get it pierced
Mama: If you want to mutilate the symbolic bond/thread between a mother and a child, go right ahead....

Me: :huh:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't see anything rational about what she said. :huh:

It just seems like a lot of personal symbolism based on her subjective values. It may be a complex system of morality, but that doesn't make it more correct than anyone else's.

The bird thing completely went over my head, I don't see a bird feeling embarrassed.

As for the belly ring, I'd probably object because it looks painful, doesn't serve any real purpose, and makes you look kind of shady. I get the impression that random body piercings and tattoos make a person seem shady, rough-hewn, and less trustworthy somehow.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

It just seems like a lot of personal symbolism based on her subjective values. It may be a complex system of morality, but that doesn't make it more correct than anyone else's.

Wasnt the thread title adressed to infps ?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't fully grasp her perspective, but she obviously attaches a lot of symbolism & meaning to things. Yes, that looks like Fi Ne.

I do admit that once someone came over & laughed at my cat cuz she was in heat & making strange noises, and I felt a bit indignant that they would laugh at an innocent creature that was clearly unsettled & frustrated & acting out because of it.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wasnt the thread title adressed to infps ?

It was? Oh, I thought he just meant the thread was about INFPs, not addressed to them specifically. :doh:

Now I feel like I've intruded. :blushing:

Sorry, I'm out of here now. :run:

The bird thing completely went over my head, I don't see a bird feeling embarrassed.

As for the belly ring, I'd probably object because it looks painful, doesn't serve any real purpose, and makes you look kind of seedy. I get the impression that random body piercings and tattoos make a person seem seedy and rough-hewn somehow.

Yes....and this raises an intriguing question, we seem to come across very often on this forum:

* can morality be rational? Can [subjective] morality be rational?

I gave tongue-in-cheek funny examples...to kinda stretch the points to obvious 'irrationality'...but, then it falls back on rationalizing through the morality itself, which brings us back to doe a deer the subjective evaluation of morality (Fi+Ne), meh....

(humour is so subjective)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It was? Oh, I thought he just meant the thread was about INFPs, not addressed to them specifically. :doh:

Now I feel like I've intruded. :blushing:

Sorry, I'm out of here now. :run:

She, man... She

Besides all your wise statements, sometimes I think you got em all from a book :D

Another interesting correlation to note:

INTP (some say the most 'rational' of the NT- Rationals)

INXP

INFP

(function orders will screw this above 'hypothesis' up...but...)

:coffee:

She, man... She

The operation was painless....

I hope you got the belly-button ring.

Ah, the ring. See, I was on a kick, as a friend recently got hers, and it looked pretty a'ite. Then, two days after those pearls of wisdom-fueled sentiments from the mama, I got a panicked call from said friend, that her sweater caught on the still-freshly pierced ring, and it got ripped out. Call it dumb, call it uncareful...call it P-tendencies, which I also have...

In conclusion: if someone unknowingly offers to be the case study to prove the hazards of such contraptions, I'm not dumb enough not to take heed. So, NOPE.

(and, thank you friend for that ...ahem...painful lesson...appreciate the hit for the team)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What ? You flirted with me back in the days and you are male ? How gay is that :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes....and this raises an intriguing question, we seem to come across very often on this forum:

* can morality be rational? Can [subjective] morality be rational?

I think morality has to be somewhat irrational, because it has to prevent people from taking otherwise logically acceptable actions. If you consider Machiavellianism to be moral (which I don't), that might be an exception.

I gave tongue-in-cheek funny examples...to kinda stretch the points to obvious 'irrationality'...but, then it falls back on rationalizing through the morality itself, which brings us back to doe a deer the subjective evaluation of morality (Fi+Ne), meh....

(humour is so subjective)

Yeah, it is interesting that people try to use logic to justify their morality, yet it's still clear that the logic is serving the morality and not the other way around. If you believe in morality much at all, you're better off just admitting to yourself and everyone else that you're an irrational person and care about people. :)

heart

heart on fire
She's totally in the right over the bird. If people can't "get" the bird then why should the bird have to suffer?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
My mother is an InFP, and she used to tell me I was morally wrong for reasons I just couldn't understand. For a brief time as a kid, I thought maybe I was just a bad person. :huh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
INFP ? Ok now you have lost me on the topic :D

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
It's past midnight locally here, so this could officially be booty-foruming....

Yours :heart:,

Bubba

Sweet! Champagne for everyone!
9517_COCA%20COLA%20CHERRY%20BLIK%2033CC.jpg