User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 88

  1. #31
    Revelation Lauren Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, I noticed that when I would talk to people on here about sensing, the traits you see described on typical MBTI websites somehow got twisted into negative forms, and a bunch of emotional baggage (mostly from INPs who believe their parents were SJs) got added into the mix. It was impossible to confront them about it, because if you tried, they'd admit that not all sensors are like this. But they'd still tend to apply that perspective to situations. It didn't matter if you got through to them via reason, they'd still be biased in that direction unconsciously for other reasons.
    I don't understand what this has to do with my typing as INFJ. I typed as INFJ before I ever knew about this forum.

  2. #32
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    I don't understand what this has to do with my typing as INFJ. I typed as INFJ before I ever knew about this forum.
    Huh? I wasn't talking about that. I definitely wasn't questioning your type. I was talking about how it came to be that sensors are often seen this way.

    Were you asking about that?

  3. #33
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post

    What would sensing be?
    Those are the two traits I identify with most, more so than empathy and sympathy despite my desires for the latter.
    Sensing is associated with building, hands on learning, aesthetics (like art, decorating, architechture), living in the here and now instead of more inside your head. Ss can be good detectives, inspectors, or just good at organizing or managing a business. They notice outer details and use their five senses fully. I think they're probably more likely to say, "Seeing is believing." Ss are known to like the hard sciences sometimes, too, because it's something so tangible and concrete. Facts rather than theories.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    this is an interesting thing for you to say because most people in the world ARE "S"...."N"s are actually the rarer ones, the underdog as you say, there just are more on this site
    Quite a few of my friends would be considered eccentric, strange or quirky, but overall I love them for their kindness. My closest friends was an INFJ, my current group of friendship contains at least (3/6) that are intuitives. One of my old friend was an ENTP, and my boss appeared to be the same as well. It's possible that I have mistyped them, but I don't think so as I've been using MBTI and cognitive functions for a while. I'm naturally interested in psychology.

    I understand that intuitives are the minority in real life, and I'd defend them when bashed against. In the same manner I'll defend sensors when they are ranted against unfairly. The whole point is not to take sides, it's to reveal what is truth. If the underdog is correct, then I'll protect it. In terms of religions, it's also the reason that I label myself as agnostic. I identify most with the balance symbol or the earth. And acccck! You made me go totally off topic >_>'

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Sensing is associated with building, hands on learning, aesthetics (like art, decorating, architechture), living in the here and now instead of more inside your head. Ss can be good detectives, inspectors, or just good at organizing or managing a business. They notice outer details and use their five senses fully. I think they're probably more likely to say, "Seeing is believing." Ss are known to like the hard sciences sometimes, too, because it's something so tangible and concrete. Facts rather than theories.
    There's a mixture of Si and Se within that paragraph.

    1. Why are facts more interesting than a theory?
    2. What makes it so that facts are more tangible and concrete?
    3. Considering that most facts are usually derived from a system or theory. Isn't there a problem?

    What I do notice is that, along with other ISJs, I'm certainly more interested in a theory for application sake than just learning the theory. However what does application mean? Application could easily be: A general interest in the subject for fun. I've noticed that there are also many other ISFJs that have interest in psychology, a subject that is full of ambiguity.

  5. #35
    Revelation Lauren Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Huh? I wasn't talking about that. I definitely wasn't questioning your type. I was talking about why people see sensors the way they do.

    Were you asking about that?
    No. Let's go over the exchange.

    You said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    You're pretty much supposed to pick the one [type] you like being associated with, whether it's accurate or not.
    I replied:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Hmmm...I typed myself as INFJ because it described me well.
    Then you replied:
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I did too, at first. It was later on that I realized that it worked that way.
    So how does it work that way?

  6. #36
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    So how does it work that way?
    I don't know, honestly. I'm holding on to my typing from when I took a few tests a while ago, and I still feel like it fits overall.

    The point was, it ends up working that way for a lot of people (the ones who end up using the system to evaluate other people), because of this picture that got built up unconsciously and collectively. Especially the ones who allow themselves to be heavily influenced by other's opinions of what type they are and why.

    I have no idea why it works this way, but I've seen a lot of signs that it does work this way for a lot of people on here. It's not entirely positive (though it can have positive effects for certain people who type themselves as N), but it's not entirely conscious either. So it's hard to eliminate, especially since so much of the system is subjective and open to interpretation. The more experiences people have had that confirm these interpretations, the more certain they become of them. It's... very messy.

  7. #37
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    S and N are really just the ways information gets in, F in the end judges it. The real divisions of F tend to be which direction it's pointed, and then where it gets the information from. It's also important to understand that some are based more out of their feeling function while others are more based out of their perceving function which plays with how they work again.

    S does tend to be more concrete in perception while N tends towards the more theoretical (the what ifs). Of course the extremes can show how stuck an S can be as well as how much of a basket case an N can be. Also, I find with a certain amount of intelligence and maturity a basic feel for the other side can develop and blur the lines quite easily.

    MBTI very much is just a skeleton of psycology. A framework on which other things develop forming the full personality. Then again, we all have to start somewhere.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #38
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I don't know, honestly. I'm holding on to my typing from when I took a few tests a while ago, and I still feel like it fits overall.

    The point was, it ends up working that way for a lot of people (the ones who end up using the system to evaluate other people), because of this picture that got built up unconsciously. Especially the ones who allow themselves to be heavily influenced by other's opinions of their type.

    I have no idea why it works this way, but I've seen a lot of signs that it does work this way for a lot of people on here. It's not entirely positive (though it can have positive effects for certain people who type themselves as N), but it's not entirely conscious either. So it's hard to eliminate, especially since so much of the system is subjective and open to interpretation. The more experiences people have had that confirm these interpretations, the more certain they become of them.
    It's sort of hard for a sensor to do that when most of the descriptions are somewhat unflattering in comparison to the intuitive counterpart. There's an element of truth in the fact that we want to choose the one that we like the most, the idealised version. The first time I came onto MBTI I was asking why feeling and thinking was incompatible as it seemed logical to include both in the system. My idealised version was an ISFX but I felt extremely stotic, enough to push me towards ISXX at the beginning. It's only over time that I accepted the fact that I was an ISFJ after going through all four. I never once identified with intuition because I simply don't see myself as intuitive, as much as I want to have the perceived abilities of an intuitive.

  9. #39
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post


    There's a mixture of Si and Se within that paragraph.

    1. Why are facts more interesting than a theory?
    2. What makes it so that facts are more tangible and concrete?
    3. Considering that most facts are usually derived from a system or theory. Isn't there a problem?

    What I do notice is that, along with other ISJs, I'm certainly more interested in a theory for application sake than just learning the theory. However what does application mean? Application could easily be: A general interest in the subject for fun. I've noticed that there are also many other ISFJs that have interest in psychology, a subject that is full of ambiguity.
    1) I don't think that facts are more interesting than a theory, but this is a trait more related to Sensing that iNtuiting.

    2) Facts are more tangible and concrete because facts can be proven.

    3) Facts are usually derived from a system or theory that can be proven by direct observation, which involves a great deal of sensing.

    I know Sensors who excel at things like carpentry, mechanic work, gardening, nursing, and cooking: hands on occupations. But that isn't to say that all Ss do the hands on thing. Like you, they could simply prefer theories which can be applied directly to "real life."

    Psychology is full of ambiguity but involves far more direct observation than subjects like literature, or philosophy.

    Ss can have strongly developed Ns and vice versa. I'm an N but according to my test results my Se is pretty strongly developed. MBTI just implies a preference for one or the other, not that a person uses one or the other exclusively.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    1) I don't think that facts are more interesting than a theory, but this is a trait more related to Sensing that iNtuiting.

    2) Facts are more tangible and concrete because facts can be proven.

    3) Facts are usually derived from a system or theory that can be proven by direct observation, which involves a great deal of sensing.
    1. Yep. I was questioning why facts would be more interesting to a sensor than theories and systems.

    2. In that case I would expect sensors to like abstract maths, since maths is the only language that has complete proof. Everything else can be debated. But I can appreciate if you meant proof by observation, still surely at higher level physics and chemistry. You'll eventually start examining things that aren't observable but are assumed e.g. Gravity etc.

    I know Sensors who excel at things like carpentry, mechanic work, gardening, nursing, and cooking: hands on occupations. But that isn't to say that all Ss do the hands on thing. Like you, they could simply prefer theories which can be applied directly to "real life."
    That's true. Well... we do make up roughly 70% of the population. SPs also happen to be quite distinct from SJs as you mentioned earlier.

    Psychology is full of ambiguity but involves far more direct observation than subjects like literature, or philosophy.

    Ss can have strongly developed Ns and vice versa. I'm an N but according to my test results my Se is pretty strongly developed. MBTI just implies a preference for one or the other, not that a person uses one or the other exclusively.
    One of my biggest interest apart from psychology is philosophy. Basic ones:
    "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?", "What is consciousness?", "Ring of Gyges", "Trolley problems" - All these questions can have profound applications in life. It constantly irks me when people say that philosophy is a useless subject.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] Do other NFs feel like they observe their feelings more than live them?
    By The Wailing Specter in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 09:28 PM
  2. [ENFP] ENFPs, do you ever feel more like SPs or NTs than NFs?
    By Elfboy in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 10:19 PM
  3. [MBTItm] NFPs and NFJs... more different than alike?
    By Elfboy in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 01:01 AM
  4. I am typed different than I first was
    By Amorfous in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2010, 11:19 PM
  5. [NF] NF: since we think 'differently' than normal folks...
    By niki in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 10:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO