User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Hmmm, I don't really know how to answer this question or what you're looking for. I've often wondered if there's some meaningful difference in the expression of feeling or feeling itself between SFs and NFs. What I get from the attitudes people have on the forum is that NFs feel more intensely, deeply, purely, holistically, organically, or closer to the essence of whatever the feeling or emotion is. Look at what everyone is saying, there is a belief that SFs don't "get it" there is no true understanding of another person just superficial understanding only concerned with the shape and form of things but no clue on how to get inside the inner workings of another person. I don't believe this is true of course and these kinds of attitudes make me wonder how truly NFs try to understand and connect with the people around them. What I'm wondering is how can NFs hold this attitude if they have such an alleged greater capacity for understanding human nature?

I see this mostly voiced through people saying they're not able to "connect" with an SF or that the SF doesn't understand them. But then the next thought I have is do you understand the SF so well? It's like the aim isn't for mutual understanding of each other, you've got to understand ME (non-SF) in order for me to begin to understand YOU. Then I think if people understood the SF so well wouldn't the communication issues would be less of a obstacle? When you understand someone regardless of type, you'd know the ways to talk them, to reach them in a way brings clarity and not more confusion. It seems to me that there is more mutual misunderstanding than anything else, which in my mind obliterates the idea that NFs in fact do have a greater capacity to see multiple viewpoints.

And I just read what has been typed since I started this post. Regarding SFs analyzing their feelings more, it reminds me of title I glanced at a while ago called "Men Cry in the Dark." I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to say that people don't give up their most deeply held feelings on a whim or just in casual conversation. I have rarely heard someone pop out at lunch time conversation with the inner demons they're battling and honestly when it has happened there's been awkward silence, averted eyes, and foot shuffling. What type of analysis of feeling do you expect someone to give to you? Do they feel comfortable telling it to you? Yeah, I'm definitely one of those people you'll hear it is what it is from, but that doesn't mean my heart and mind wasn't churning.

NFs how many of you foster the type of relationships with people to get that level of transparency? Most of the time, people only reveal that stuff in intimate relationships, some people it takes them years to deconstruct life changing experiences and what the effects were on their psyche. Do you want someone to come out with instant perspective? LOL, I think that people are stupid and not stupid all at the same time.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

NFs: strive for a potential, ideal, greater picture feeling. Emotions can be divorced from the reality of the situation.
    SFs: encompass, embrace, and excel at feeling and expressing in the moment. Here today, gone tomorrow.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    NFs: strive for a potential, ideal, greater picture feeling. Emotions can be divorced from the reality of the situation.
    SFs: encompass, embrace, and excel at feeling and expressing that feeling in the moment. Here today, gone tomorrow.
    Really? In some ways I actually relate to the second one better.

Are you sure that you aren't confusing this with Fi vs. Fe?

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Really? In some ways I actually relate to the second one better.

Are you sure that you aren't confusing this with Fi vs. Fe?
    Possibly. I intentionally tried to avoid that error, and I do feel like my NF description relates to the INFJs I've known better than the SF description. I guess I need more feedback...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    SFs: encompass, embrace, and excel at feeling and expressing in the moment. Here today, gone tomorrow.
    Agreed. Except for the "here today, gone tomorrow" part. I believe that would also depend on P vs. J.

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Hmmm, I don't really know how to answer this question or what you're looking for. I've often wondered if there's some meaningful difference in the expression of feeling or feeling itself between SFs and NFs. What I get from the attitudes people have on the forum is that NFs feel more intensely, deeply, purely, holistically, organically, or closer to the essence of whatever the feeling or emotion is. Look at what everyone is saying, there is a belief that SFs don't "get it" there is no true understanding of another person just superficial understanding only concerned with the shape and form of things but no clue on how to get inside the inner workings of another person. I don't believe this is true of course and these kinds of attitudes make me wonder how truly NFs try to understand and connect with the people around them. What I'm wondering is how can NFs hold this attitude if they have such an alleged greater capacity for understanding human nature?

I see this mostly voiced through people saying they're not able to "connect" with an SF or that the SF doesn't understand them. But then the next thought I have is do you understand the SF so well? It's like the aim isn't for mutual understanding of each other, you've got to understand ME (non-SF) in order for me to begin to understand YOU. Then I think if people understood the SF so well wouldn't the communication issues would be less of a obstacle? When you understand someone regardless of type, you'd know the ways to talk them, to reach them in a way brings clarity and not more confusion. It seems to me that there is more mutual misunderstanding than anything else, which in my mind obliterates the idea that NFs in fact do have a greater capacity to see multiple viewpoints.

And I just read what has been typed since I started this post. Regarding SFs analyzing their feelings more, it reminds me of title I glanced at a while ago called "Men Cry in the Dark." I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to say that people don't give up their most deeply held feelings on a whim or just in casual conversation. I have rarely heard someone pop out at lunch time conversation with the inner demons they're battling and honestly when it has happened there's been awkward silence, averted eyes, and foot shuffling. What type of analysis of feeling do you expect someone to give to you? Do they feel comfortable telling it to you? Yeah, I'm definitely one of those people you'll hear it is what it is from, but that doesn't mean my heart and mind wasn't churning.

NFs how many of you foster the type of relationships with people to get that level of transparency? Most of the time, people only reveal that stuff in intimate relationships, some people it takes them years to deconstruct life changing experiences and what the effects were on their psyche. Do you want someone to come out with instant perspective? LOL, I think that people are stupid and not stupid all at the same time.
    +1

Either we (The other SFs on this forum) are anomalies or there's something wrong with the guideline rule. Personally I don't get the impression I'm that unique compared to other SF, especially other SFJs in my life. We're all extremely similar so I have to conclude something is up with these assessments that are being bounced around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I think it has to do with life's circumstances too, if you will. Ns being less common and thus inherently "weirder", learn to be more open to different stances right off the bat I think.
    This is definitely true. It's a matter of needing to adapt. It's also the reason I've found it really bizzare when I see another 'social reject' slating off another person for being too weird. I've been a social outcast for most of my life, the only child in the family who did something outside the usual paths. It's not the N/S that determines how judgemental people are, it's whether they are used to doing something differently. But at the end of the day, most people fear the unknown. I doubt that's any less true for intuitives.

Quote Originally Posted by whimsical View Post
    nf feeling has more to do with values where sf feeling has more to do with actions and things you can actually see/observe
    No. This is just more stereotyping.
    Gah I always feel like such a tool attempting to defend sensors or feeling based sensors.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Agreed. Except for the "here today, gone tomorrow" part. I believe that would also depend on P vs. J.
    Yeah... I can see where I may have confused Fi-Se vs Fe-Si there.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I always feel like such a tool attempting to defend sensors or feeling based sensors.
    No, please defend.

My original comment wasn't meant to be definitive but just part of the picture; I knew that some other people would have some ideas to help balance or clarify what I said.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Gah I always feel like such a tool attempting to defend sensors or feeling based sensors.
    If you look at the types that have posted in this thread you may get half an idea why the descriptions feel like BS to you. The less you guys participate the longer the BS continues. *shrug*
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    It's really a shame that they have to be like that, some of them seem to have so much potential to be good people.
    Yeah, that's not a condescending sentence at all.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel