User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INtJ

Default Do INFJs need a "hobby"? If so, what???

My ISTP is obsessed with his motorbike (under his admission - 2am in the garage in his dressing gown sorting out the brakes kind of obsession!) - he says it helps him switch off, helps him recentre and loves the way he is creating something (he is modifying it beyond all recognition)...

I have never really had anything like that - I attempted pastel drawing, knitting, writing a book (I'm 200 pages in), I do exercise but it's not really "fun" it's weight control and interacting with others, I'm trying cooking but I see it more as "survival" than fun. I enjoy studying, reading (usually have about 3 books on the go at once to "reflect my mood") and trying to figure my inner world out (Navel gazing if you like). I love talking to people and pulling apart the universe. Talking to everyone on here is fascinating - never have I encountered so many intelligent and interesting individuals to converse with - sometimes I just read the threads and don't contribute as I love seeing it unfold...

I just don't know whether I could undertake a hobby that would "survive" - I know I would tire of it and it would end up in the back of a cupboard - forgotten... Is this normal for an INFJ? Or is there anything that you do you would like to share?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Restoring my 86' Toyota 4wd is what I'm doing lately,I love 4wd's , big tires , lifted bodies,going places no one has ever dared to go, I love getting off the beaten path and creating my own. I love the mountains and driving up steep terrain, the next vehicle I get will be an older Jeep Wrangler and I'll fix it up as well. I also like fly fishing for trout wading out in ice cold water. I like riding my mountain bike a lot too. I play guitar almost everyday , I can forget all my problems temporarily while playing guitar. Oh yeah, I've got a punching bag I workout on about 3 days a week, it relieves a good deal of stress and I lift weights off and on. I like going to bookstores , I'm a magazine fiend. I've met a few unusual people in Barnes & Nobles, and I'm really into alternative media and We Are Change.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

I jump from hobby to hobby. I don't think I really have one, although, from my experience, I do need something to keep my mind preoccupied or else I end up falling into the deep, dark abyss.

So, don't worry if your hobbies aren't necessarily uniform. It's okay to have a variety What's important is that you're enjoying yourself.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've jumped around from hobby to hobby too.

The two that I've actually (and surprisingly) stuck with over the years are weight lifting and guitar.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by gloomy-optimist View Post
    I jump from hobby to hobby. I don't think I really have one, although, from my experience, I do need something to keep my mind preoccupied or else I end up falling into the deep, dark abyss.
    Yup.

I'm constantly juggling between dozens of things that take up my interest. This has led me to a mess because now I know something about a lot of things but really not much at all about anything.
    Last edited by Phantonym; 05-16-2009 at 03:21 AM.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I've never really done anything "steadily" on my own initiative. There are hobbies I return to time and time again (rpg, fantasy/sci fic novels, sketching etc). It's always done in bursts though. I'll be in to it for a couple months, then I'd need a break or something else catches my attention.

Makes me sound like a P
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    It's always done in bursts though

Exactly

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

My husband can't come up with a hobby to save his life. Sounds just like this thread.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    My husband can't come up with a hobby to save his life. Sounds just like this thread.
    Is he INFJ?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Yes.