Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by janey_girl View Post

I just don't know whether I could undertake a hobby that would "survive" - I know I would tire of it and it would end up in the back of a cupboard - forgotten...
    i believe you are an ENTP, my friend.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'm my own hobby!
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFJ

When I start a hobby (or anything that interests me), it becomes my life. As a child, when I learned how to do flips on gym rings, I loved it so much that I just kept doing it over and over again, and eventually tired myself out, fell, and broke my arm. In high school, I became obsessed with drumming, so I would practice 6 hours a day after school. Now I've become consumed with improvised theater/comedy, so I spend most of my free time practicing, performing, or watching shows. I have many other interests that I explore from time to time (singing, drawing, sculpting, programming, weightlifting, composing, playing guitar, writing, and on and on...), but those become secondary once I find a hobby that I've become obsessed with. I know it's weird and seemingly addictive behavior, but it's how I get my release. I get really stressed out if I can't throw myself into something creative that I can just focus on for several hours without worrying about anything else. If I only spend 15 minutes a day doing something (or spend time doing many different things), I don't ever get that feeling of accomplishment. Drawing from other posts, I don't think my behavior is definitive of INFJs. But for me, my creative hobbies become my "cause." Hobbies are a very serious thing!

MBTI
    XNFJ

I tend to do things in bursts, becoming obsessive over whatever I'm interested in at the moment, like others have said. I do have a couple of enduring hobbies, both of which have to do with people/relationships - photography (usually of my kids, always of people), and books.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Hobbies tend to be my lifeline...they keep me from dwelling too much in the land of abstract thought and emotion, especially during postpartum phases (I'm a mom of 3). Somehow, working with my hands tends to ground me and bring me back into my own body. I'm creative on a need basis. When my thoughts start getting too bleak, I make myself do something, anything else for a while but think about serious things.

I recycle junk, sew, make cards, paint things, keep an herb garden, cook exotic food, re-purpose things, write, sing, exercise...these things keep me on planet earth, and out of the heads of others.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    I'm my own hobby!
    Yeah! Thats what I was thinking!
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.