• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Se] Cutting off Se

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
So I've been thinking about this for awhile now and if this is totally off base please let me know :>

Basically when I have a shower I like to just shut off the lights and have the water cascade over me in the darkness. Just having my all visual stimuli severed and only the sound of the water penetrating the silence.

I feel when I'm in this kind of environment I am able to think with such clarity and just maintain a steady stream of thought.

Is this my Ni and Ti working together in some fashion? It just seems like making connections and thinking hard on a subject becomes a simple task.

Basically I was just wondering if any other ENFJs have experienced this or even other types I guess that use Se extensively.

G

Glycerine

So I've been thinking about this for awhile now and if this is totally off base please let me know :>

Basically when I have a shower I like to just shut off the lights and have the water cascade over me in the darkness. Just having my all visual stimuli severed and only the sound of the water penetrating the silence.

I feel when I'm in this kind of environment I am able to think with such clarity and just maintain a steady stream of thought.

Is this my Ni and Ti working together in some fashion? It just seems like making connections and thinking hard on a subject becomes a simple task.

Basically I was just wondering if any other ENFJs have experienced this or even other types I guess that use Se extensively.

Welcome to the world of an INFJ. :D

Trefle

MBTI Type
INFJ
well, mine is a type of it; I usually drown into thoughts whenever focusing into music. Whether it's my iPod, the radio, the muzak, anything. Mostly the iPod for it's all my -own- music, though. Hearing it and off to the imagination I am!

pretty INFJ. >_>;

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Basically when I have a shower I like to just shut off the lights and have the water cascade over me in the darkness.
Isn't that a touch hazardous? I once had the power go out when I was in the shower....

file cabinet

on occasion i will do what you describe... i enjoy it for being a different kind of way to interact with the senses. i told an enfj about it once and she thought it sounded weird but i'll see if i can convice her to try it.

OregonENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

Interesting.... never done that before. I personally like the sauna (alone) for this reason.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I wonder if showering really is cutting off Se.

Warm environment, splashy, water running down your body, *ahem* touching oneself...

but with the lights off...

So it's more like simplifying Se, returning it to a well-known, comfortable, undemanding stimulation state... nothing to react to and take over, just enjoy. Leaving the other functions to turn back to themselves.

Thus, Ni starts up. Se is no longer ruling the perception game. Ni becomes the primary perception device. Presumably Ti does get involved too.

Thus the common wisdom that healthy ENXJs do need some alone time for, err, getting in touch with themselves and thinking.

It was presumably an ENXJ who said, cleanliness is next to godliness.

maliafee

As someone who uses Se extensively, I find this fascinating! I've had the opposite experience. What I mean is that I will purposely turn the light off to further enjoy the sensory experience of the water and the sound of the water, etc...

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Thus, Ni starts up. Se is no longer ruling the perception game. Ni becomes the primary perception device. Presumably Ti does get involved too.

That's what it feels like to me. It just seems so much easier to sort through issues and really feel a sense of clarity when arriving at a conclusion.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like to shower in the dimness too, Trains. It shuts off intrusions on my senses when I feel overloaded. And the water can be very calming.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As someone who uses Se extensively, I find this fascinating! I've had the opposite experience. What I mean is that I will purposely turn the light off to further enjoy the sensory experience of the water and the sound of the water, etc...

yea, I've done this, too. Seems like more of a sensory thing to me. Just less visual and more hearing and touch.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm going to try this showering in darkness deal right now.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Was a rather bizarre experience.

First thing I noticed, was that I saw nothing, I supposed that was a side effect of the pitch black darkness in the bathroom. I quite successfully felt my way to the shower though.

It was completely dark, but my mind created some passing colors and shapes here and there.

After adjusting the water to the right temperature, all the horror movie cliches went through my mind, like those seen in Psycho and The Grudge, etc. It was scary. The fear got to me pretty strongly, I was afraid of my own mind mostly I guess.

Then I hanged my head and closed my eyes, which made me a lot more comfortable. I transported myself out of the shower, out of this world. I was standing on a street corner, it was night, there were no people around, and it was raining on me. At a certain point I found a guitar in my hands, I started playing and humming some blues tune.

I heard steps, and someone walked towards me from the other side of the road. He wore a long black coat and a black hat. I didn't feel threatened, it was a friendly figure. He told me something about stress, I was confused and suddenly felt another figure close to my left. I didn't see it, but knew what it was like - an ugly alien looking ghostly being. I was then suddenly brought back to reality, and for a second it felt like the ghost followed. I assured myself, however, that surely, it wasn't so. My heart was beating quite heavily, which I found strangely amusing.

I stood there for a little while, even felt like I didn't want to leave at all. But I did so eventually. Felt my way to a blanket, hoped that it wasn't crawling with spiders for some reason. Dried myself. Left.

Will try it again someday. I mean, night.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Me too!

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Wonderful, isn't it? Being able to truly escape into the very core of the mind and spirit, being disconnected from the outside-- I'd agree that it's pretty INFJ in a lot of ways with that. It's a great way to really center the mind and come to some pretty profound realizations.

Don't fight the truth! :D

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Being in the shower, period, is useful exactly for that reason. I dont have anything to focus hard on in the outside world. Kind of like the little personification of Se has a toy to play with so it's not bugging me to go take him for a walk so I can get to the real work. Same thing for different kinds of art, like clay sculpture and painting. I can think while using Se enough to keep it from interfering with my main functions.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Every time I see this topic title I think "Nooooo! Don't cut off my Se!"