User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Cutting off Se

Quote Originally Posted by SpottingTrains View Post
    So I've been thinking about this for awhile now and if this is totally off base please let me know :>

Basically when I have a shower I like to just shut off the lights and have the water cascade over me in the darkness. Just having my all visual stimuli severed and only the sound of the water penetrating the silence.

I feel when I'm in this kind of environment I am able to think with such clarity and just maintain a steady stream of thought.

Is this my Ni and Ti working together in some fashion? It just seems like making connections and thinking hard on a subject becomes a simple task.

Basically I was just wondering if any other ENFJs have experienced this or even other types I guess that use Se extensively.
    As someone who uses Se extensively, I find this fascinating! I've had the opposite experience. What I mean is that I will purposely turn the light off to further enjoy the sensory experience of the water and the sound of the water, etc...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Thus, Ni starts up. Se is no longer ruling the perception game. Ni becomes the primary perception device. Presumably Ti does get involved too.
    That's what it feels like to me. It just seems so much easier to sort through issues and really feel a sense of clarity when arriving at a conclusion.
    "That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can."

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I like to shower in the dimness too, Trains. It shuts off intrusions on my senses when I feel overloaded. And the water can be very calming.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    As someone who uses Se extensively, I find this fascinating! I've had the opposite experience. What I mean is that I will purposely turn the light off to further enjoy the sensory experience of the water and the sound of the water, etc...
    yea, I've done this, too. Seems like more of a sensory thing to me. Just less visual and more hearing and touch.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I'm going to try this showering in darkness deal right now.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Was a rather bizarre experience.

First thing I noticed, was that I saw nothing, I supposed that was a side effect of the pitch black darkness in the bathroom. I quite successfully felt my way to the shower though.

It was completely dark, but my mind created some passing colors and shapes here and there.

After adjusting the water to the right temperature, all the horror movie cliches went through my mind, like those seen in Psycho and The Grudge, etc. It was scary. The fear got to me pretty strongly, I was afraid of my own mind mostly I guess.

Then I hanged my head and closed my eyes, which made me a lot more comfortable. I transported myself out of the shower, out of this world. I was standing on a street corner, it was night, there were no people around, and it was raining on me. At a certain point I found a guitar in my hands, I started playing and humming some blues tune.

I heard steps, and someone walked towards me from the other side of the road. He wore a long black coat and a black hat. I didn't feel threatened, it was a friendly figure. He told me something about stress, I was confused and suddenly felt another figure close to my left. I didn't see it, but knew what it was like - an ugly alien looking ghostly being. I was then suddenly brought back to reality, and for a second it felt like the ghost followed. I assured myself, however, that surely, it wasn't so. My heart was beating quite heavily, which I found strangely amusing.

I stood there for a little while, even felt like I didn't want to leave at all. But I did so eventually. Felt my way to a blanket, hoped that it wasn't crawling with spiders for some reason. Dried myself. Left.

Will try it again someday. I mean, night.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post

Me too!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Wonderful, isn't it? Being able to truly escape into the very core of the mind and spirit, being disconnected from the outside-- I'd agree that it's pretty INFJ in a lot of ways with that. It's a great way to really center the mind and come to some pretty profound realizations.

Don't fight the truth!

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Being in the shower, period, is useful exactly for that reason. I dont have anything to focus hard on in the outside world. Kind of like the little personification of Se has a toy to play with so it's not bugging me to go take him for a walk so I can get to the real work. Same thing for different kinds of art, like clay sculpture and painting. I can think while using Se enough to keep it from interfering with my main functions.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Every time I see this topic title I think "Nooooo! Don't cut off my Se!"
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel