• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs - what do you study/do?

Nyota

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5
Psych and International Relations double major,
plan to Master in Industrial/Organizational Psych.

I'd like to work in the HR department of an NGO/international non-profit.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have a master's in Library and Information Science from the University of TN, Knoxville. I was a reference Librarian at a major public library and then a reference librarian and then a project librarian at a VA Medical Center for 10 years. I retired. I went on to work at a counseling center afterwards in a major city and now am a retired housewife in a rural area enjoying a simple life with family, reading and gardening at the center of things.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i knew in high school i wanted to work one-on-one with people in the health care field. figured out that was women and felt 'called' to natural birth. majored in premed first (realized how presumptuous that was for me--too much schooling and too much distance from the intimacy of the birth process), switched to nursing......got my bsn. then back to grad school for msn (master's of science in nursing). licensed as CNM (certified nurse-midwife).

began my private practice right off the bat. had a good, strong 10 year run providing women's health and home birth care. had 4 of my own kids. wanted to stay home and homeschool. got burned out on midwifery. essentially quit over another 4 years.

now i'm home with my 5 kids. like *journey said,* i like to nurture my family and hike. but it's not really enough for me. so i'm starting (again-for the second time) a small business (entrepreneurialism calls to me) making natural and organic body care products, which i've been doing for, like, 10 years or so, i'm just starting to sell them now.

i have yearned to do midwifery in mexico, where women have a real NEED for adequate health care, but i know realistically i probably won't make that dream happen--at least not in the next 10 years.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I teach fiddle music on a reserve in the north and will next year be teaching French. I have been an ESL teacher on a volunteer basis during university. My interest in teaching has more to do with it being a vehicle for teaching how confidence, character and communication interact with each other to create successful academic, personal, and work life. The particular subject discipline is a happy byproduct of successfully integrating those three factors into daily life. Without working on those three things, it is very hard to achieve success in the subject area. For those that do not yet have the emotional maturity to deal with those three factors head on, a strong relationship to an adult who can help script behaviour, create interest in the subject, matchmake between students and teachers/other students, and bridge anything that could divide the child from achieving their goal (poor behaviour, outbursts, underconfidence etc) goes a long way towards creating success.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I work various jobs in the human services/psychology field in preparation for grad school applications this fall. I work third shift direct care at an inpatient child and adolescent psych hospital, substitute as a behavioral therapist in school-based treatment programs, and work as a research assistant. I'd like to study developmental psychopathology and the effects of childhood abuse/maltreatment.

amelie

MBTI Type
XNFJ
I was a teacher for a couple of years, and then went back to school to get my advanced degree in psychology, which I completed. I'm now at home with my 2 very young daughters.

Storiesandstorms

I am a kindergarten ESL teacher, so I teach kindergarteners all of the kindergarten content as well as teaching them English as a second language. In this capacity I work with immigrant and refugee families and children. I love languages, writing, history, and art too.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a doctorate in music composition and earn most of my money through teaching piano lessons and taking various performing gigs. It was an extremely non-pragmatic choice, and I am still figuring out how to best stabilize my career into a viable source of income. I'm doing the best I have ever and work all the time, but my income is similar to a person without any college training when you look at the yearly totals.

I tried going back to school and was accepted into a masters in counseling, but the timing was bad as I was in a depression and had to drop out the first year. I would love to get a doctorate in Expressive Arts Therapy, but suspect the investment of time/money to employment/income would not be a good enough payoff to justify it. I'm also a bit tired of school. There is some marketing I could do with my creative efforts that might be the best course. I also teach a college class online and that is probably my favorite job of my five streams of income. I'm trying to do more of that.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
I work as an IT manager, but down the core I'm more a musician and sociologist.

Oddly Refined

Enneagram
1st Degree: Political Science BA
Jobs: Technical & Academic Services Coordinator at an adult learning center

2nd Degree: International Studies
Concentration: Latin America
Minor:Spanish
Job:Research Assistant

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
Got my degree in PoliSci. Spent most of my time since working on campaign management, political fundraising, and a lot of grassroots-y stuff. I hated recruiting staff and volunteers, hated running interviews, hated the constant travel, hated the job insecurity; loved training staff, loved running my own office, loved making decisions, loved the strategy part, loved that I could wear jeans to work. Never really fit the profile of an activist, though - I think I have a little too much practicality/cynicism built in.

Now I'm a health care advocate. The job is only ok, but the pay and hours beat campaign work any day.

firstjudge

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hey Wyst, how do you find working in finance? Its seems like an incompatible choice for an INFJ.

As for me I graduated with a degree in graphic design. I'm trying to switch out now since I can't stand the advertising/business aspect of it and its proving to be difficult. I'm not quite sure what it is that I want to do. The area of education seems to interest me but I can't see myself being a teacher in a classroom. Thinking about my future makes me stressed since I keep trying to plan and analyze every step which leads to a lot of thinking and not enough doing.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hey Wyst, how do you find working in finance? Its seems like an incompatible choice for an INFJ.

You are spot on. I don't hate it. Yet.
But I know I'll go crazy if I'm still there 5 years from now.

As for me I graduated with a degree in graphic design. I'm trying to switch out now since I can't stand the advertising/business aspect of it and its proving to be difficult. I'm not quite sure what it is that I want to do. The area of education seems to interest me but I can't see myself being a teacher in a classroom. Thinking about my future makes me stressed since I keep trying to plan and analyze every step which leads to a lot of thinking and not enough doing.

I, too, don't like the whole business side of anything.
I've really started to lean towards some kind of counseling. I really enjoy listening to people and helping them solve their problems and seeing them change/do well over time.

I'm taking a class on counseling this fall. I think it might tell me a lot regarding my being wired/or not for something like that.

Getting started is ALWAYS the hardest part and it's hard to get hung up on it. Keep in mind, though, that doing some investigating, (take my class on counseling, for example) doesn't mean you're committed to anything. It's simply a means to finding out which doors you'll choose to completely shut and which doors you want to peek into a little more.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
think i'm gonna take some classes this fall. i had wanted to move elsewhere (portland! austin! new york!) and partake in a music program at a community college. but i might do that here and the local university to go along with my previous degree in anthropology and religion. maybe that or maybe just take some literature comp lit creative writing type classes and try to hone the craft. it's what i'll most likely end up doing anyway. eventually maybe a phd or a mfa in creative writing. it's tough to say no to learning, there are still plenty of pysch and sociology classes i would take as well.

i'll probably be in and out of university settings for the next 10 years. then it's magnum opus time for me!!!

S

Sniffles

I have a degree in Criminal studies. However, various factors prevent me from doing much work in this field.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I only have an 8th grade education really- I got my GED but as far as real schooling that is the last that I have had.

I am studying Philosophy right now for fun and personal growth. I am reading the complete works of Plato and it is inspiring and life changing for me.
My thinking is so under-developed- perhaps because of the little education I have had and because I was raised by an all feeling single mother and am so naturally all feeling myself- not to mention my tendency to depend on my intuition. Studying Philosophy is really helping me see what thinking looks like and helps me understand it and how I can go about developing it for myself. Logic is so empowering because I am realizing how I am such a lamb to the slaughter without it.

I want to study debate and learn how to debate as well.

I am also studying in a sense how to be a stand up comedian as I want to pursue this. I watch a lot of stand up and am studying what all goes into it and how to go about it and who I am as a comic.

As far as what I do, I am a Domestic Engineer,lol, and mother.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I only have an 8th grade education really- I got my GED but as far as real schooling that is the last that I have had.

I am studying Philosophy right now for fun and personal growth. I am reading the complete works of Plato and it is inspiring and life changing for me.
My thinking is so under-developed- perhaps because of the little education I have had and because I was raised by an all feeling single mother and am so naturally all feeling myself- not to mention my tendency to depend on my intuition. Studying Philosophy is really helping me see what thinking looks like and helps me understand it and how I can go about developing it for myself. Logic is so empowering because I am realizing how I am such a lamb to the slaughter without it.

I want to study debate and learn how to debate as well.

I am also studying in a sense how to be a stand up comedian as I want to pursue this. I watch a lot of stand up and am studying what all goes into it and how to go about it and who I am as a comic.

As far as what I do, I am a Domestic Engineer,lol, and mother.

that's awesome. wish you luck with that. laughing at good humor is my favorite pasttime. i got into plato too a few years ago, but i didn't finish it. i have to have patience in other areas of my life, and so i found i don't like having to have patience with my down-time too (like i need to have when reading such ancient works).

debating's fun. i'd like to be a 'master debator' someday...........:)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
think i'm gonna take some classes this fall. i had wanted to move elsewhere (portland! austin! new york!) and partake in a music program at a community college. but i might do that here and the local university to go along with my previous degree in anthropology and religion. maybe that or maybe just take some literature comp lit creative writing type classes and try to hone the craft. it's what i'll most likely end up doing anyway. eventually maybe a phd or a mfa in creative writing. it's tough to say no to learning, there are still plenty of pysch and sociology classes i would take as well.

i'll probably be in and out of university settings for the next 10 years. then it's magnum opus time for me!!!

you seem pretty insightful. have you thought of working one-on-one with people, in a counselor type setting?