• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] A somewhat convoluted question

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmmm, (I've thought about this more) if his job is causing him to detach from his feelings more so than usual, or to try and fit a mold that is not him (perhaps he sees some of his bad qualities magnified in the people he's dealing wish and wishes he didn't have them or the perfectly ok traits that accompany them) than that could explain his wonky test (assuming that he really is an ENFJ and hasn't been living in his shadow for all this time...).

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ender, thank you. That was a very clear explanation of how test scores change and reading it I think you're probably right. ^_^

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
You mentioned he works with Army trauma victims.. Is he in the military? Also you're in south korea, is that where your family is from originally?

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
You mentioned he works with Army trauma victims.. Is he in the military? Also you're in south korea, is that where your family is from originally?

Yes, and no.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Yes, and no.

I can see alot of what you said about the way he is being influenced by being in the Military. There does seem to be some conflict in him in regards to dealing with his emotions and the rigid logical rules of the Military where they more or less try and train them out of you.

I dunno, I may be wrong tho.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Endar, I'm not quite sure that's true about the military, esp now-a-days, but it's a very interesting theory. I wish I could give you something to validate or deny it but I don't know the details of his job beyond what I already said.

invaderzim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah he's an ENFJ. He sounds extactly like my dad, which is also that personality type.:doh: And my dad was in the Navy also.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
:D Yes, well, OK.
Assuming he is an ENFJ, what could cause him to test as an INFP? And, how does one go about informing an ENFJ that they might be wrong? You know, a way that doesn't involve yelling and several sheets of documentation....because I hate yelling and I've never liked paperwork. ;)

The ONLY thing that causes an MBTI to come out the way that it does are the Attributions the person is making at the time of the test. ANY psychometric test is only a SAMPLING of human behavior and cognitions and it should never be viewed as a "comprehensive understanding".

Throw in another variable, and that is the # of propositions and the different kinds of propositions held by the person (NFs are veritable WAREHOUSES of propisitons, they have so many complicated beliefs and values), and you can see the problem - he'll come out depending upon, literally, how he's FEELING at the time :)

At this point, he should study each individual profile and talk it over with you and others a bit to see what "fits best". The paper and pencil MBTI (hence the online MBTIs as well) samples from ATTRIBUTIONS, not "true type" :)

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Invaderzim: I'm not sure if I should go "cool," or give my condolences.

Nozflubber: thank you. I'll definitely use that when I talk to him about the mbti. :)