User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Maybe he is just chilling out? Decided he didn't need people as much and loosened up a bit (P)?
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

So, that would make him test a P if he were still a J?
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    Right, so, my father took the Kirksey temperament sorter (maybe 10, maybe 15, I believe he took it more than once)years ago and got ENFJ.
    That's CAPTAIN Kirksey to you.

INFP to test ENFJ or vice versa? For one guess, look at function use and compare to the environments your father has been in:

INFP = Fi + Ne + Si + Te
    ENFJ = Fe + Ni + Se + Ti

Hmmm.... all opposites. Anyway, any indicators there coupled with environment? Only one or two of these need to be strong pushes in order to class as a new type. It could be as simple as being forced to extrovert or introvert all the time.

For the record, an ISTJ relative of mine tested himself as ENFJ. There is no doubt about the ISTJ, he's stereotypical and when he actually tested "officially" they classed him as ISTJ and he agreed. Funny, though, how bad he was at really seeing himself.

With your dad, how do you know he's an N?
    The laundry list you provided could fit with ESTP as well as ESFP. (he's also got some hang-ups apparently, which makes validating type harder in some ways.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

So, that would make him test a P if he were still a J?
    I test as INTJ or INTP most of the time, when I'm feeling outgoing and social I've tested ENTJ. The tests really don't matter, my results seem to vary from my moods. Maybe he hook an odd test, and the P/J and E/I questions were bad? That's what happens with the T/F scale for me and the P/J scale. It asks if I like chaos... I'm like "no not really" in my head, so I say no. It asks if I like to be organized, I think "well I like to be organized, but I'm not most of the time" so I will say yes. Same goes for T/F. "Do you think from your head or your heart?" I think from my head.

You see where I'm going with this.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

He may be more aware of his more inappropriate ENFJ style issues, and answered the questions to 'how he should be' instead of how he is.

It something I see sometimes: instead of trying to be a mature and self-aware version of your type, people sometimes strive to become another type. "I'm not as judgmental as I used to be, so I feel I deserve to change this answer."

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

yeah, well, I know that my dad has a very emotionally stressful job now. He works with ARMY trauma victims; ptsd, rape, abuse, ect. His best friends have also all moved in the past couple of years and I get the impression that my mother has sort of rejected him so they live in the same house as friends w/benefits but they don't connect. So, he's a lot more isolated after work than he's ever been. Like, ever.

He really doesn't seem to know himself at all. Took him 20 years of shouting, smashing crap and tailgating before he was like "hmm, maybe deep down I'm angry about something."

I am often stunned by his ability to not just fantasize but to make up a world that is contrary to reality, live in it, and then feel betrayed when his fantasy is burst.

Lol, but he does loose stuff all the time. (I think he's a touch ADD, my bro and I had to have inherited it from someone)

Yes, black cat, I see where you're going.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    He may be more aware of his more inappropriate ENFJ style issues, and answered the questions to 'how he should be' instead of how he is.

It something I see sometimes: instead of trying to be a mature and self-aware version of your type, people sometimes strive to become another type. "I'm not as judgmental as I used to be, so I feel I deserve to change this answer."
    That. Makes. Complete sense.
    -Brio

-Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

yeah, well, I know that my dad has a very emotionally stressful job now. He works with ARMY trauma victims; ptsd, rape, abuse, ect. His best friends have also all moved in the past couple of years and I get the impression that my mother has sort of rejected him so they live in the same house as friends w/benefits but they don't connect. So, he's a lot more isolated after work than he's ever been. Like, ever.
    Well, that's enough to screw up any NF (among others, but NFs seem particularly vulnerable because they empathize so deeply) and give them a reason to detach from their own feelings.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

the ironic thing being, I think he's more connected to his feelings (and more sensitive) now that he's having to deal with feelings all the time. None of his other jobs forced feelings in his face like this. He was pretty freaking screwed up to begin with, it's really difficult to get worse than that without actively setting out to do so.

...that's not to say I don't love him, or care, because I do. It's just the rest is true too. As I once heard someone say "he puts the fun in "dysfunctional."
    Last edited by briochick; 05-13-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: clarification
    -Brio

-Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

One thing I've noticed when taking tests at random times is that my environment and the people I've been around lately do have an effect on the outcome. So does what I base my answers off of.

I.e. if I based everything off the way I act when concentrating on hobbies etc that I can pull off an ISTP result. Theres even people on this board that are convinced I am an ISTP.

However when I think about how I act when I was at work, or how I've been more recently then I can come out as an ENFP, thats more or less due to the fact that at work I was pretty much running the show so I had to be more extroverted, and my ex was an ENFP so I'd somewhat mimic her when we were out and dealing with other people.

In the end tho, I am an INFP at my core, 90% of my test results show that, and I relate to it the most.

Your dad testing as an INFP when he's being forced to sit and listen and offer support to traumatized people is not something that I find all that unlikely. Especially if like you say theres been a distance created between your mother and him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.