• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NF's and Movies

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
So I had about an hour long conversation with an ENTJ friend of mine about how we view movies.

He told me that whenever he watched a movie he would empathize with the main character or whoever the director wants you to relate with at the time. He explained it to me that if a character was involved in a fight scene he would be cheering for that character and actively reacting to what that character was feeling in the movie.

On the other-hand whenever I watch a movie I tend to see an overall image. I can best describe it as feeling the emotions of each character, seeing the setting and hearing the music then combining it all into one idea of the scene. I understand who is supposed to be the protagonist and antagonist but I don't emphasize with a single person...more of a joint empathy maybe...

It really blew our minds that we watched movies so differently and maybe provides some insight into why we like different movies. He also mentioned that if the main character was not the victor or there wasn't a happy ending the movie didn't appeal to him.

I guess my question to you guys is:

1. How do you watch movies? Is it like my friends or more like mine or even possibly a different way?

2. Do you think MBTI Type/Function order plays a role in how we view movies?

3. Name your favourite movie :> !

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i look at the scenic beauty and correlate it to abstractions in my mind viscerally. whenever there's a close match, i get this indescribable feeling of overwhelming joy. to me, it's not at all about the characters or what they are; it's about what they do. i don't really empathize with the cast, only with the scene, and only if it's a close match to what i have pictured in my mind.

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I tend to look at the whole picture, the meaning of the scenes, the meaning of each character in the storyline.

P

Phantonym

1. How do you watch movies?

I've noticed that I'm more of a "third wheel" in the scene. An invisible observer, almost like watching the chess figures on the board, occasionally empathizing with the characters I feel a connection with. It definitely depends on the movie and the mood I'm in.

I have no idea. There are wise people here who are more familiar with the functions, I'll let them do the talking about this matter :newwink:

There are too many to count but at the moment I would say the "Atonement". Joe Wright makes magic :wubbie:

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Cool question.

I have two modes (maybe because I am an ENXP). I decide consciously between these two modes depending on the film and what I hope to achieve from it -- objectively evaluate the film (mode 1) or indulge in a form of escapism (mode 2):

Mode 1: Will not be manipulated emotionally. This is my critical mode where I will appreciate the cinematography, the plot or the lack of it, the characters and their development, the dialogue, the acting skills. The focus here is on evaluating the film on all of these criteria. Sometimes, in spite of all this, I learn something valuable from the film (about life, human psyche whatever) or if I end up being caught up in some of the emotions of the film (likely closer to what SpottingTrains said, empathize with the situation or majority of the characters, their flaws and strengths). Its these rare believable films that make the whole exercise worthwhile.

Mode 2: Suspend disbelief, watch film. Enjoy it all - the music, the sounds, the setting...Watch without judgment and identify with the main characters or the character the director wants us most (manipulates us) to identify with and get swept away by it all.

Both are fun and have value.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmm. Sometimes I empathize with the main character, but I don't have to. Sometimes I deeply feel what some of the characters are feeling, but I am able to remove myself from "identifying" with the main characters.

I can enjoy a movie about people with whom I don't identify or whom I probably wouldn't like in RL...some people can't. I know of several people who can't enjoy a movie or a novel if they're put off by the psychology of the main character(s).

And those same people will assume that I like a particular story because I identify somehow with the traits of the characters - let's take wuthering heights for example, one of my favorite novels of all time - everyone knows that Heathcliff is psychotic and abusive, but there are clear underlying reasons for his personality within the book. However, I've had friends say they don't want to read/watch wuthering heights because they couldn't relate, and thought I liked it because of the sick, twisted love story (ahh....NO).

I don't know that this is an NF thing, because some of these people of which I speak are INFJs and I'm an INFP.

To answer your other questions, I do enjoy movies with "atmosphere" visually and musically sometimes in spite of the plot. It depends on the film.

Some of my favorites include Amelie, The Shining,The Royal Tenenbaums, and Let the Right One In. I recently also enjoyed Tell No One and Inside a great deal.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Depending on the film, I can become majorly emotionally involved. Sometimes I feel entirely different than the director wants me to feel (ex. Twilight), but if the director handles the scene in a way where the pathos plays out, I can fall completely and totally for the character's persona (ex. Phantom of the Opera) to the point of tears.

However. If the acting or the script is awful, I don't care what the plot is; I won't enjoy it. I will make fun of the movie and have a good time doing so.

But I don't see this as a type thing, not entirely. Lots of NFs I know have different opinions on this stuff...INFJs, ENFPs, ENFJs, other INFPs...I can't really see a connection. :/

Gengar

MBTI Type
INFP
I look out for two things in a movie

some guy who does something inspirational/heroic (i'm such a a fantasy dweller ;)) I'll normally empathize and support this character

some guy who is a strong anti-social NT who plans and strategizes throughout the entire movie. There's just something intriguing about these characters that I love to watch. They're also very hilarious as well.

I don't think this has anything to do with MBTI, but I suppose it could.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
But I don't see this as a type thing, not entirely. Lots of NFs I know have different opinions on this stuff...INFJs, ENFPs, ENFJs, other INFPs...I can't really see a connection. :/

I honestly don't think there is either but I was curious to find out for sure :)

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, this is how it goes.
Movies are something I love. Books have a very similar effect on me. I'm very easy to "touch" so I always choose carefully. My first horror movie had lasting effects. Couldn't sleep in peace for over 3 months.(Not exaggerating or trying to make it seem like I'm "oh-so sensitiiive".)
I usually just get completely sucked in the movie if something grabs me. I remember seeing this movie and it's like nothing existed around me. I usually try to "guess what happens" next for the fun of if it's not intense and see if I'm right. I don't like predictable things, they get boring sometimes. I usually implant the movie into my life afterwards or vice versa. I try to recognize whatever is in the movie that is "real life relevant or vice versa" and try to see it in a different way next time around.
I remember watching a movie that really struck me. I do like to "make connections" and create a web of them until "something hits me" hard. If a movie fails to make me connect it to something, whatever it is then it's probably not going to be a movie I found "good". I get very inspired by movies that I'm sometimes embarrassed by that. I just like being amazed and cut off from the realworld from time to time.
They tend to play over and over in my mind for very long periods of time.

I saw a movie this summer. It was called "Histoire de Femmes" and talked about the last woman to be executed for abortions. Very intense. I remember the ending so vividly and the message at the end. I was disgusted in the end by her fate.
( I'm sure some people are offended reading this since they are pro-abortion...)

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
1. How do you watch movies? Is it like my friends or more like mine or even possibly a different way?

Hmm, well I know that whenever I see a movie- I somehow replace the characters with myself- it becomes very personal. I wonder to myself- how would I react- what would I say or do here in this situation- how would I respond- how am I alike or different from this character- what situations can I relate to and what experiences are familiar or different to me? I basically live out the story being presented to me in my head and react to everything in my head on how I would personally respond. I prefer character driven stories and dialogue rich movies.

With comedies as just one example, I add my own jokes to things and fantasize about what I would do if I were a character in the movie. I put myself in the story. I can get so involved that I can lose sense of reality or lose a sense of suspension of disbelief- because I am putting myself in the story I feel as emotionally involved as if I was really there- this can be very taxing and have very strong effects even after the movie is through.

I am very impressionable as well- a dark movie will put me in a dark mood- I will absorb the emotions and feelings being presented to me and they have to ride themselves out. Movies are real to me- the story becomes real- it feels like a personal experience even if not my own. A heroic and person of strong character in a movie will really inspire me and influence me tremendously and a philosophy being presented in a movie or a message will linger with me and make me question and analyze it for years. Everything sticks to me if there is an emotional response from me. I will look at life through the lenses presented to me in the movie I just watched and will then struggle to figure out what I really feel or think.

Sure- I wouldn't know how to explain myself though in an MBTI type technical way.

Hmmmmm
Life is Beautiful
Never have I seen a movie challenge me so much to see just how much your attitude flavors and impacts a situation- not just for yourself but for others. Never have I seen a more noble example of a good attitude even in the most horrible of situations- never have I seen a spirit so strong as that character who was the father and main character.

After that I would say St. Ralph. Another strong spirited person.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
OP: I watch films like your friend does. I experience the main character's emotions. This is why I can really enjoy a film like Lost in Translation, which really has not plot to speak of. Films allow me to experience certain emotions I might not otherwise experience in certain situations, and the films I hold in highest regard do this the best.

This is weird, because when I write I don't write like I watch movies. My characters are more like pawns on a chessboard that I move around, and I have a real problem with characterization and creating characters the elicit emotions from the reader.

I wonder if this is because I take in stories using Fi, but emit stories using Te?