User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    infp

Default xNxP and driving?

How did you other NP's find learning to drive and driving in general?

I'm finding it hard to keep on top of all the different details to driving, it's like multi-tasking on a whole new level for me and I'm finding it quite difficult.

Plus my short term memory is pretty shabby so you can be sure that my next lesson will always involve reminding me of everything we learnt the week before lol.

My instructor makes jokes about my memory now.

Things have improved since I bought a driving manual, I'm finding it easier learning off of the text book than the instructor showing me, which is surprising because academic learning usually goes better without ploughing through text books alone.

Also when I am practising for the theory test, I am fine with the multiple choice questions and always get most of the questions right, but the hazard videos I'm still failing, because it's about watching a video and clicking the moment you see a hazard developing, and I don't really do well paying attention to those kind of details.

I'm worried that because it's all so detail orientated, that I might not actually excel at it. Which is where you come in.

Did it take you long to learn?

Do you enjoy driving now that you can?

Did you pass your test the first time, or how many times did you have to sit it before you finally passed?

Is there anything that helped you that I could try?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    infp

Err lack of replies = lack of NP drivers?

I am filled with confidence now.

I learned to drive really quickly from observing my parents do it. I didn't need the manual because I had already made them explain everything a million times.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by marmandahalf View Post
    I learned to drive really quickly from observing my parents do it. I didn't need the manual because I had already made them explain everything a million times.
    That would make it easier , my parents don't drive though, infact I don't really have many friends that do drive so I can't even bug them for extra practise sessions.

Do you find it easy paying attention to the details involved in driving?

I keep being told that eventually it will be so natural that I will notice these details even whilst I am daydreaming because it will be like second nature, but honestly I am finding it all a bit overwhelming and hard to believe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

It will get easier, there's just so much to coordinate at first. Your Ne will also help you anticipate situations IRL.

I posted a thread on driving a while back; not about learning how to drive, but about what types enjoyed / didn't enjoy it. Here's the thread, it may be of interest!

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    It will get easier, there's just so much to coordinate at first. Your Ne will also help you anticipate situations IRL.
    I hope so, I had this god awful vision of being one of those people who just aren't capable of driving.........I saw them on some show "britains worst drivers" lol

I posted a thread on driving a while back; not about learning how to drive, but about what types enjoyed / didn't enjoy it. Here's the thread, it may be of interest!
    Thanks, I will read through it now.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Driving has always been easy for me.

I was over-anxious when I first learned, years ago, I was afraid I wouldn't react fast enough to something or that I wouldn't be told a crucial fact and then have an accident.

I'm a really good driver, I think big-picture, I'm aware of where everyone around me is and good at judging speeds and patterns of movement. It's like a large 3d real-time map unfolding in my head. I figured other NPs would be similar, but maybe just NTPs?

Never had an accident. Only ever got one speeding ticket (in a speed trap in a small town at night, where the limit suddenly dropped to 20 and I just did not slow down fast enough, meh). Some people drive me nutty, they will slow down on an on ramp or just drive so cautiously they almost cause new accidents, I just feel very in sync when I drive, no big deal.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

heart on fire

Can someone else take you out driving at non-peak hours? Someone you feel very at ease with?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I love driving. I love the freedom. Manual transmissions are the best for me - keeps me active and in control of the car. If someone ever needs to go from NY to Miami, they call me because they know I can just drive for hours and hours on end. I love it.

I'm a very good driver, but some say that I drive too fast. I think speed limits are for suckers...

EDIT: when I was younger, I was apprehensive to drive but then I told myself to look at all the different types of people who do it, and that took away my fears. I told myself if any idiot could do it, so could I. Ha!

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

driving for me has always been completely subconscious. i don't notice driving as it were, i notice when something happens that is out of the ordinary when i'm driving. lay off your nervousness by not focusing on driving itself. focus on your thoughts instead and the skills should automatically embed themselves in your subconscious.

don't fret if you fail though, half of the population wouldn't be able to pass a driving test even when they have been driving for years. (i should note that i am from a country where manual transmissions have been issued by law for years).
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes