• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] xNxP and driving?

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I vary and will happily follow for 50 miles or be raring to get passed based upon mood alone.

One weird thing though, throughout my lessons I mastered everything but the whole turning of the head, come the test I almost failed on gear changes but aced the whole perception thing :shock:

What sets me off more when driving is people that are "afraid" of driving.. The ones who slow down when the vehicle in the lane beside them does as well, the ones who wont pass a bus or a truck(lorry?) and slows down almost to a complete stop when they do. The ones who slam on the brake because someone changed into their lane 15miles ahead of them..

I almost failed on gear changes as well.. Only because I refused to stay in first through an entire turn.. Sorry don't feel like either crawling like a turtle through the intersection, or blowing an old tired engine by forcing it to stay at 4-5k rpm for longer then needed.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm pretty good at driving itself. The funny part is when I ask for directions. Ne is a function which constantly attempts to get the big picture from just a couple details. I've seen this demonstrated perfectly time and time again when I get directions because I never get specific enough and wind up getting lost.

The other day I was looking for a post office and I stopped and asked someone, and they said, oh, it is down the road that way! Immediately I felt I had all the information I needed and that it would be impossible to miss. A minute later I realized I had no idea how far down the road it was, and no way to know if I passed it or not.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm pretty good at driving itself. The funny part is when I ask for directions. Ne is a function which constantly attempts to get the big picture from just a couple details. I've seen this demonstrated perfectly time and time again when I get directions because I never get specific enough and wind up getting lost.

This. Or when I ask for directions, I forget them 30 seconds later and have to keep stopping to ask more people. It's a pain in the ass, and I can't seem to conquer this. I get disoriented really quickly.

(If I sleep with my head on the opposite end of the bed, when I wake in the morning, I am in a state of confusion for at least 8 minutes wondering what room I'm in that seems so familiar but yet different... :doh:)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This. Or when I ask for directions, I forget them 30 seconds later and have to keep stopping to ask more people. It's a pain in the ass, and I can't seem to conquer this. I get disoriented really quickly.

(If I sleep with my head on the opposite end of the bed, when I wake in the morning, I am in a state of confusion for at least 8 minutes wondering what room I'm in that seems so familiar but yet different... :doh:)

Yesss! I just got a GPS though; it totally feels like cheating. I don't have to pay attention to where I'm going anymore because a little female operator voice (I refer to her fondly as Georgina P. Smith) reminds me every time my turn is coming up, and she even figures out new routes on the fly if I fuck up the best ones.

It's amazing.

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
It took me longer than most of my friends to learn how to drive, driving instructors are fixated on the smallest of details and so wouldn't let me move on to learning the next skill. But I'm a good driver, I've never had an accident, but I don't drive the way I've been taught, I drive using my Ne, I'm always intuitively aware of the traffic around me, I don't need to be checking my rear view mirror every damn second like the instructor makes you do - grrhhh she really annoyed me, I would pay for an hours instruction but she would make me sit in the hot car for half an hour more to lecture me on my sins - for free!.

Although I have been known to read at the traffic lights, not sure if that is quite a wise move.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a funny fact. I've had an accident once that I can fully blame on my Ne.

(about 300 feet in front of me on a provincial road a car stood still with the right signal lights on, he wanted to go into the sideroad to the right. I just looked 'with him' into the road and saw there were no cyclists or any form of obstacle for him so he could turn right without hesitation. I was driving 100Kmph at the time. And didn't brake because I figured he would go right. 100 feet in front few seconds later. Car is still standing in the same spot, I'm like wtf is he doing, I realize he isn't turning right for whatever silly reason.

I have to break. At the moment I break I know I'm a second or two to late. I realize I will skid through and bump him. I notice traffic on the left side of the road, trees on the right side. No place to go but against the car standing still. And indeed. I came about 2 yards too short.

Wasn't a lot of wreckage or anything.

But it's a clear case of Ne-overconfidence. I taught a valuable lesson, don't expect everyone else to be predictable. I will now always have a contingency plan for any situation if other drivers or road participants are involved. If there is no way to evade, then I will make sure I brake in time. :p

The person in the other car was a 80 year old grumpy guy with a clear case of dementia. As he asked me the same questions over and over. o_O

It's the only time I had an accident. I have driven approximatly 400.000 kilometers now by my reckoning, in the past 6 years. (I drive a lot for work. Average of 400Km a day, have had days I drove up to 1600km :p I love driving.)

Also, not a fact I'm proud of or anything. But I'm a regular speeder and assertive driver overall, specifically when I'm alone in the car. I do however NEVER ever drive fast or assertive past any point I can not oversee way before.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It seems that most NPs, in general, would be good at the concept of driving, and being safe drivers, but when you consider paying attention, following procedures, and having a nice clean physical strategy when driving, it's harder than you think.

I just started driving less than a year ago, and although I'm fairly good, I still struggle with paying attention, being tactical, and being assertive- I tend to be a little to hesitant.

I find carrying out some of the physical tactics of driving hard- it's taken me a long to master parallel parks, and I'm still a little rusty when I drive through town and have to always be in the right lane, and follow the lines, and ahh! It's stressing.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Ack. Driving brings out my bad side. >.>

I can handle driving a car just fine, but I get lost and make bad turns and just...it's bad. Yeah.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I sometimes roll through stop signs. I frequently forget to signal. Once, I ran over a toddler running into the street.

That last one was particularly heartbreaking; even though the thing probably only weighed about 10 pounds, it still left a huge dent on the front of my car, and not to mention I had to get the car washed afterward.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Funny thing, i taught myself how to drive a stick shift. The rental service in my area at the time all had their automatic rented out and only stick shift was available. My friend didn't have a license and I didn't know how to drive a stick shift. Rented a stick shift, read how to drive online, and within hours i was driving. Of course one of the scariest thing also happened that day, we decided to stop by a mall and got stuck on a traffic up a ramp. I panicked when the car started rolling downhill, good thing we didn't get into an accident lol. Safe to say learning to drive a stick shift was a fun experience. I still own a automatic, even do i like driving a stick shift more. Of course normally i wouldn't take risk like that, but we were on a mission and it paid off :D.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I am one of those pretty good drivers who gained a bad reputation due to an 'exciting experience' when my friends and I were going somewhere with me in the driver's seat.. :D
There was no accident but we were close.. :(
I got better over time though, like most people do.
There is little I find more exhilarating than driving 70+ mph on an open road. You just feel so free!!

nasmoe

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
driving is great. I wish I could drive around for hours going nowhere at all, but I don't have my own car.
I'd say I'm a pretty good driver, but some would beg to differ because I play around a lot. My brother says that I make the turn like hearn meaning when I turn I make everyone hit the door, but I do that on purpose so...:cheese: