• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Why NFs pity themselves so much ?

sculpting

Venting & relating :yes:. NFs feel alienated a lot, so relating to our kind gives us some strength. Often times, friends & family don't understand what we're saying (we're too abstract....we're too emotional...etc.).

Plus, we like to help people, and we're generally not the tough love sort, so we help through encouragement and understanding. What seems like wallowing to you is actually pretty constructive and promotes growth in NFs.

I agree. I need to vent or externally rant a little (ie curse loudly somedays) or just talk through feelings. I also-maybe cause I am a feeler-am not entirely uncomfortable sharing those feelings with others-so am more open. Another factor is that I often need to dissect them a bit to understand them-so am not feeling pity, just sharing and analyzing out loud.

I imagine that NFs and all types on here do the same. Is there something you would like to talk about Antisocial?

AS would like to talk about rocks! :hug: he loves them.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah, the way to tell the NTPs are in the thread... LOL :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What I can't overlook is how many post here are written in the stile : I am depressed, do others like me, I suck at life, why people don't like me and stuff like that.

In NT forum there are similar posts but there is a smaller amount of them and I would dare to say that conversations are more constructive.

Here you just have a emofest of some sort and it is almost like you are making eachother depressed. (and enjoy it)

I am sorry but I really don't understand what you are trying to achive if you have a goal in the first place. Are you just venting ? Or you really need attention of others to talk to you about emotions you have at the moment?

I would wager to say you're mostly seeing xNFPs here. They're the ones who wallow in self-pity the most, but they're also the most vocal in the NF forums. NFJs seem to be drawn towards the common areas rather than the temperament areas, since we usually want more diversity of opinion.

I tend to save my pity for other people, because I know I'll manage somehow. I tend to worry more about how I'm going to stop good, interesting people from being turned into something they're not by the people around them.

I do sometimes express feelings because I feel the need for empathy and understanding of said emotions, but I generally make it clear that that's what I'm doing when that's the case.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
#1 Closer attention to your spelling will help your argument come across more successfully.
:laugh:

to answer the OP post, I don't do any of those things you speak of, but I've recently found out I am teetering on limbic so what do I know?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I would wager to say you're mostly seeing xNFPs here. They're the ones who wallow in self-pity the most, but they're also the most vocal in the NF forums. NFJs seem to be drawn towards the common areas rather than the temperament areas, since we usually want more diversity of opinion.

I tend to save my pity for other people, because I know I'll manage somehow. I tend to worry more about how I'm going to stop good, interesting people from being turned into something they're not by the people around them.

I do sometimes express feelings because I feel the need for empathy and understanding of said emotions, but I generally make it clear that that's what I'm doing when that's the case.

The INFJ way:

20070702-keep_calm.jpg

The ENFP way:

halp_orange.jpg

The INFP way:

WrongRazor.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Athenian 200 said: "NFJs seem to be drawn towards the common areas rather than the temperament areas, since we usually want more diversity of opinion"

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this. I have thus far stuck to the NF area because I'm new, but I have also lurked in other places. Also, I have a friend who is INFJ and she is less tolerant of political differences than I am as an INFP so I'm not sure that INFJs generally want more diversity of opinion than INFPs. In fact, INFPs are supposed to be less judgemental unless their core values are crossed, so...

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Synarch, you slay me!!

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I certainly never wallow in self-pity and rarely share my deeper feelings online or otherwise. Not that I see anything wrong with discussing emotional problems with others and searching for an answer (some would say this is healthy behavior); it's just not my style. But INJs are pretty controlled characters in general. As you may know.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I certainly never wallow in self-pity and rarely share my deeper feelings online or otherwise. Not that I see anything wrong with discussing emotional problems with others and searching for an answer (some would say this is healthy behavior), it's just not my style. But INJs are pretty controlled characters in general. As you may know.

You're just a tight ass.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NFs pity themselves? Maybe some.

Self-pity, in my opinion, has a lot more to do with how you act rather than what you say and complain about (in real life or online).

I don't remember exactly what I've posted, and if I haven't already, I'll probably say things like, "I'm lonely", "I'm awkward", "humanity depresses me", blah blah blah whatever. I say these things in real life too, to my close friends.

BUT

I DO NOT let these things affect how I act. I vent and complain about it all the time, but I do my best to meet and talk to and get to know other people.

I wouldn't consider that pitying myself. I bitch and moan, but then I wake up the next day and start chipping away at my weaknesses again.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
#1 Closer attention to your spelling will help your argument come across more successfully.

#2 I am curious at the process of feeling that made you feel compelled to inquire on this subject. By referring to an "emofest", a clearly pejorative phrase, one might be inclined to believe that you have an axe to grind. So, the real mystery here might be why a discussion of negative feelings makes you uncomfortable? Do you fear that signs of weakness in others are contagious and, as such, a threat to your own tenuous system of emotional control?

I have deliberatly choosen more antagonistic approach. Just to see will it trigger a hostile response.
So that I can ask: Why did it trigger a hostile reaction? Are you afaid that I am judging you ? In the case you are, why you are afraid of that and why did you even bother to reply? Were you offended because I am INTJ ?

Once you answer those question maybe you will realise better why you are so unhappy at times.

Another reason is because I trully don't understand why people here have a tendency towards depressive thinking/feeling. Which is becaus I am built differently then NFs.

Also when I read posts on this forum I get the impression that a number of people really enjoys in this kinds of things. Something like among the lines " it doesn't matter what feeling it is as long as deep feeling".
Also I aree with statement that NFP are more likely to behave this way.
I see it as a form of masochism. (you are free prove me wrong)

I am not saying that people do this all the time but at the moments it can look as if they really like to feel bad.

No, it does not make me feel uncomfortabe I just don't understand "the ritual". I am not sure that I would started this thread in the case that this kinds of conversations make me uncomfortable.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have deliberatly choosen more antagonistic approach. Just to see will it trigger a hostile response.
So that I can ask: Why did it trigger a hostile reaction? Are you afaid that I am judging you ? In the case you are, why you are afraid of that and why did you even bother to reply? Were you offended because I am INTJ ?

Once you answer those question maybe you will realise better why you are so unhappy at times.

Another reason is because I trully don't understand why people here have a tendency towards depressive thinking/feeling. Which is becaus I am built differently then NFs.

Also when I read posts on this forum I get the impression that a number of people really enjoys in this kinds of things. Something like among the lines " it doesn't matter what feeling it is as long as deep feeling".
Also I aree with statement that NFP are more likely to behave this way.
I see it as a form of masochism. (you are free prove me wrong)

I am not saying that people do this all the time but at the moments it can look as if they really like to feel bad.

No, it does not make me feel uncomfortabe I just don't understand "the ritual". I am not sure that I would started this thread in the case that this kinds of conversations make me uncomfortable.

Your first sentence made me giggle then I got bored and stopped reading.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you been talking to Edgar again?

Yeah, he told me about last weekend and how he opened your asshole wider than the Grand Canyon. Good luck with that!