User Tag List

First 152324252627 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Sitatuion: Bank robber fires 7 shots into the cop but the doctors managed to save him somehow. But most organs and limbs have suffered heavy injuries.

EF female: This is so terribe and so wrong. The worst thing is that he will never be healthy and complete again. Imagine how will this effect his entire family for the rest of his life and it will always remember them on this day.
    Maybe it would have been batter that he died. I mean he is too young for this. (falls into a depression)

Me: I truly don't see the problem. Doctors managed to save him and he lives for now. If it turns out that he can't live like this he can always commit suicide. In the case that it gets that bad.
    Problem solved.
    I would probably say something like: "Well, the bright side is that he survived. Not many people could survive something like that. He might have to take it a little easier now, but he could still have a fulfilling life."

heart on fire

I know you can't. Long ago I have made peace with the fact that I will never understand emotions of others completely. (if that is even possible)
    Which is because I don't relate to many traits that are typical for F.
    Understanding a F from the outside actually not a problem for me. It is just that it is likely that I will disagree. But understanding them for within is another story.

Does this work the other way around as well ?
    No. I can understand someone using thought alone to make decisions. Probably because there are many decisions in life where I use thought to make the decision because it's something math related etc.

I also don't have the snideness about thinking that some thinkers have about feeling.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There are a couple things to take note of in this topic:

1. When there is an expectation to find certain kinds of posts from a certain type, it can be proven through confirmation bias. This can be an issue if even occurring to a modest degree.

2. When NF is stereotyped as fostering pity, then people of any type will gravitate towards those forums when that is what they are seeking to express.

3. There is also a problem when any mention of emotion is assumed to be there to evoke pity. Sometimes it is more about taking the bull by the horns taking the negativity on directly rather than sweeping it under the rug, or worse going into a passive aggressive mode that pretends to be objective.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    3. There is also a problem when any mention of emotion is assumed to be there to evoke pity. Sometimes it is more about taking the bull by the horns taking the negativity on directly rather than sweeping it under the rug, or worse going into a passive aggressive mode that pretends to be objective.

Excellent point.

Views may be distorted due to incorrect assumptions of the motives of the posters.

Originally Posted by Antisocial one
    Sitatuion: Bank robber fires 7 shots into the cop but the doctors managed to save him somehow. But most organs and limbs have suffered heavy injuries.

EF female: This is so terribe and so wrong. The worst thing is that he will never be healthy and complete again. Imagine how will this effect his entire family for the rest of his life and it will always remember them on this day.
    Maybe it would have been batter that he died. I mean he is too young for this. (falls into a depression)

Me: I truly don't see the problem. Doctors managed to save him and he lives for now. If it turns out that he can't live like this he can always commit suicide. In the case that it gets that bad.
    Problem solved.
    I see it in the middle here. It would not have been better if he died, unless he is in extreme agony due to the organ destruction. But it also isn't a happy-fun-time situation either and it is awful that he suffered this fate. Hearing about it doesn't *plunge* me into a personal depression unless I love this person personally. When it is a stranger, it's just a twinge of feeling.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

In NT forum there are similar posts but there is a smaller amount of them and I would dare to say that conversations are more constructive.
    Maybe it would be worth actually counting the number of thread devoted to expressions of personal pain in blogs and rants, etc. on each of the forums and find out how the percentages line up. My impressions are quite different from yours, but it would be interesting to see. There are quite a few forums out there now representing a variety of types, so it might actually shed some light on what you are saying. Right now all the responses in this thread are based solely on your impression of how these compare. That is a potentially biased starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Views may be distorted due to incorrect assumptions of the motives of the posters.
    And if the reasoning behind an action is not understood, it is likely the motivation is not understood.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    It's hard for me to believe this. The reason I say this because it'd just make total sense to me that if somebody is aware of another person, they'd understand that they think differently and therefore can easily just imagine how the other person would be. (It doesn't even have to be on an emotional level, it can be on an intellectual level. It's just basically understanding another persons perspective.)

While it doesn't make total sense to you. It's not like you don't grasp that there are feelers in the world, and that they operate on a different system. You don't exactly claim that your thinking is the only method, therefore it seems unlikely that you will be purely unempathetic. That seems more of someone that doesn't have understanding or is ignorant.

Then you confuse me as to why you do this >_<!

Was that just to shock the person? Are you seriously telling me that you can't understand the emotional implications that a person may have, even if you don't experience it yourself? How the past can't affects the present and the future? [This is retarded: I'm going against my earlier arguement that non-depressed people aren't really going to understand what it means to be depressed. But even then one can have a rough idea.]

I'm more likely to believe that you simply decided to reject consideration of the emotional aspect of the problem.

1.Well there is difference between seeing yourself doing it and doing it for real. But I know myself well enough to think that my inner conclusion would be similar to the blunt comment.

2.Yes, I did that just to shock the person.
    Just for the record "EF female" in that story is my grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    No. I can understand someone using thought alone to make decisions. Probably because there are many decisions in life where I use thought to make the decision because it's something math related etc.

I also don't have the snideness about thinking that some thinkers have about feeling.

I don't know if you come across one my post in the thread. Which says that I can understand feeler on the outside since most emotions expressed externaly are actually quite logical. But what I don't understand is the inner world and I don't understand to some degree why you have approach you do when things get "serious".

One question.

Do you ever feel a "duty" to make Ts around to feel something in that moment?

If some SFs want to answer this question they are free to do so.

MBTI
    AHH!

No. Most of the time I figure why bother with someone who doesn't see the beauty in depth of feeling. Plus, most steadfastly will refuse to give in to emotion if someone else wants them to feel something...they'll only feel/show that they feel something if they decide on their own accord that they want to. There's no point trying to convince them because it won't do any good.

One question.

I'm only responsible for my own feeling. Other people are free to feel whatever they want, or the lack of feeling. I'll point it out but it's up for others to do what they want.

MBTI
    infp

One question.

Before I found out about MBTI, I did, now I don't because I don't expect it and I understand it better.

I was just baffled before.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari