First 8161718192028 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    So you would rather feel better than do something constructive about what made you feel that way!?
    Ranting is constructive for some people. And a person can whine and rant, and then do something about it later.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I think Antisocial was really just coming to the Idyllic for some hugs and cheering up anyway. Everyone should give him a hug.

MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    XXXX
    Socionics
    XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Ranting is constructive for some people. And a person can whine and rant, and then do something about it later.
    Possibly true, but I think only kids have the "right" to rant and whine. At some time in life you have to grow up and take care of your situation in a mature way and that includes getting the right toolbox for dealing with emotions.

I have no respect for adults who rant and whine. I find it pathetic.
    Hit like a heavyweight, breathe deep, meditate
    Make the whole crowd get loud, make 'em levitate
    I ride through my city like a presidential candidate
    L-A-X, Phantom double-R, and accelerate

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

So you would rather feel better than do something constructive about what made you feel that way!?

Some people are paralyzed by their emotions until they let them out, then they are actually freer to do something. I do both. I'm very emotional, very into catharsis and talking about my feelings. I'm even slightly emo

YouTube - Helena - My Chemical Romance HQ Music Video

But I'm also a do--er. I will eventually make powerful changes in my life. I wasn't happy in NC, so I travelled alone to LA with very little money and lived out West for six years. When I realized I wasn't happy in my relationship, it may have taken me time, but I moved back East and enrolled in college where I'm doing very well now. I had to make sacrifices to get where I am now and I'm sure I whined about it, and even stalled and freaked out, but eventually I did it, ya know?

Also, sometimes "doing something" right away isn't always the best policy. Like, for example, you get angry and want to "do something" by punching someone, but if you vent about it some way instead, you can later deal with that anger more constructively.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Helena!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Possibly true, but I think only kids have the "right" to rant and whine. At some time in life you have to grow up and take care of your situation in a mature way and that includes getting the right toolbox for dealing with emotions.

verbal expression of ones feelings as a way of dealing with them is actually quite healthy and necessary for some.

pathetic is a lil harsh but i could certainly see how it would be annoying if someone were to always do that and never seemed to learn and grow from the situation....whatever it may be.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's funny that you say this because some forms of psychotherapy involve ranting and whining to release pain or repressed memories and that would definitely qualify as "getting the right toolbox for dealing with emotions."

Keeping a journal or talking in a support group is also a constructive form of therapy which could occasionally involve ranting and whining.

Actually, repressing feelings can be very unhealthy - not just psychologically, but sometimes physically depending on the severity of the repression.

I don't think that being emotional doesn't mean that you're a "grown up." I feel that there's something a bit childish about denying emotion and pretending to always be tough when it's obviously not true. But these are just our two different ways of viewing the world.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Also, possibly what you see as whining another sees as discussing their situation with others so they can better understand it and their feelings about it. For them, it is a necessary process in dealing with the situation. It may not be your way, but that doesn't make it any less.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Helena!

heart on fire

I've been alive 40 years and I've yet to meet anyone who never rants or whines. Thinkers can be some of the worst venters and whiners around, probably because they save it all up for a select few to hear. And often that person they select is a feeler!