• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and insults?

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, INFPs should be able to identify the thing that would be most evil to say to someone in any given situation. Healing/hurting are two sides of the same coin...

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I am extremely creative and harsh with my insults, the kind that really dig into your soul and make your heart say "ow," and I'm very good at coming up with them on the fly.
I can use them playfully, or hurtfully, both with extreme effect.

Any shit about NFs not being good with insults is a myth.
I put both of my ENTP friends to shame, no contest.

Ditto on every count.

SAME HERE. :D

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Actually, INFPs should be able to identify the thing that would be most evil to say to someone in any given situation. Healing/hurting are two sides of the same coin...

True. True.

I concur......based on my 7 years with an INFP.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I suck at comebacks if personally attacked or insulted! I am a dear in headlights.

I am good at making a witty comeback remark if the person makes fun of someone or something else-I can put a person wittingly in their place then but if it is to me then I am so emotionally charged I freeze.

I go blank and am overwhelmed.

I hate that so much actually!

Luckily I am married to an ENTP-king of comebacks- and me being an INFJ I try to think of every kind of situation possible where I might need a witty comeback and we practice together and I write the winners down,lol.
I try to be prepared now,lol.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
As a person who is constantly observing people and who understands them on a deep level (at least I always try to), I could hurt them the most by telling them some ugly truths. I (almost) never do that for the sake of insulting itself. However, what I do a lot is that I explain the actions of the other person to them as an attempt to fix the problem/argument. Granted, sometimes I fail, but most often my "victim" (haha) feels embarrassed and exposed.

For example, a friend used a specific word I had never heard before. I openly admitted that. I'm always happy to learn a new word! However, he didn't leave it at that. He feels inferior about his language skills / vocabulary (compared to me). As soon as he knew something I didn't, he started to do research on that very word and explained with careful detail how it's not even a rare word and how everyone knows it, etc. He was very passive-aggressive about it. To me it was so obvious as to why he was doing all that... so I explained it to him. It sure silenced him.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I think I'm pretty good at insulting people, it just depends on how much you have hurt me (IRL). I have a limit to what is acceptable as an insult, ie I would never use something that I know would really hurt that person beyond repair, which may make me less vicious than a T type in my insults, but I can usually read enough about a person to use less yet still scathingly hurtful insults to do the job.

Like if a person was fat and very aware of it I would not use that as a weapon in an arguement, nor would I use past mistakes they may have made that bring them great pain in remembering, it's just too low for me to go.

(this will make no sense to some but I find it easier to just punch someone than use those insults)

Mind you certain people, and that's less than a handful, have actually made me so angry that I have gone that low, but they more than deserved it and their feelings were no longer a part of my concerns.

Online it's less personal therefore much easier to get into an insultfest, however I have noticed that I also won't sink below a line even then.

S

Sniffles

Yes, when I'm in the proper mood. However, I often have trouble maintaining a sustained effort at it. And going up against NTs for long periods of time can be exhausting.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What, with all the apologizing? lol

People get upset with me because I never apologize (unless it's minor, like stepping on your foot). I will resolve the matter, but an apology is hard to pull out.

Like if a person was fat and very aware of it I would not use that as a weapon in an arguement, nor would I use past mistakes they may have made that bring them great pain in remembering, it's just too low for me to go.

(this will make no sense to some but I find it easier to just punch someone than use those insults)

Mind you certain people, and that's less than a handful, have actually made me so angry that I have gone that low, but they more than deserved it and their feelings were no longer a part of my concerns.

I will go that low, but I have to have lost all concern for them as a person too. There's someone if I ran into right now, I could say some low & cruel things to without blinking an eye.

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I'm not very good at insulting people simply because I know how it would make those people feel, and I can feel for them. However if I do have to, I can usually think up some pretty good insults because I am a good observer of the behaviours of people around me, and I know things like what they do bad at.

Comebacks, usually bad because it's a very in the moment type thing, I'm better at thinking them up after they are needed (afterism)

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
"Yeah, well, screw your stupid lawnmower. Yeah."

I suck at comebacks.

lane777

nevermore
I love banter... sadly, too many people have been offended by it when I'm only being playful, so I've learned to suppress it. :(

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, the only time I insult someone is when it's intended as playful banter.
If someone's gotten under my skin, I either address the issue constructively or ignore them altogether [also constructive :D]. Hitting back verbally when my feelings have been smacked around solves nothing. I can't find any vindication in actually being hurtful.

Anywho.. yeah, I love being sarcastic with my friends for fun, but I'm not that adept, and on the rare occasions I am, I can't maintain it for long.
Damn my intrinsically kind nature.
Ruins my fun. :steam:

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Man, I can be kind of a bitch. I can be really warm and empathetic like ENFPs are usually described but I can just as often go cold Ne and call bullshit. I've called bullshit on peoples' feelings before. An INFP recently told me that this is a thing you shouldn't do.

I am good at playful banter but if I'm in a bad mood it can turn into subtle cutting remarks that will bug you later. This is a source of much guilt for me.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
So, here's a related question that may or may not shed light on the topic also. Don Rickles: funny or not? For me, his "comedy" is decidedly unfunny and I don't see why anyone would laugh at it. If verbal abuse is funny, why not physical abuse? Why not beat the tar out of someone on stage and call it stand-up comedy?

heart

heart on fire
Man I've called bullshit on peoples' feelings before. An INFP recently told me that this is a thing you shouldn't do.

It all depends on the details and the relationship to the person in question. I can't stand people who won't stand up to bullshit from others. I am not exactly sure what you mean by "bullshit on other's feelings" though.

Shelovesyoumaybe

MBTI Type
INFP
Haha, y'all are ridiculous. :D
No really, enjoying the replies.

So, here's a related question that may or may not shed light on the topic also. Don Rickles: funny or not? For me, his "comedy" is decidedly unfunny and I don't see why anyone would laugh at it. If verbal abuse is funny, why not physical abuse? Why not beat the tar out of someone on stage and call it stand-up comedy?
Hm..now see, I completely understand where you're coming from and I see your point, I do. But, my reasoning and rationing for laughing and enjoying him would be because thinking it's sincere abuse could be a bit extreme. And if I'm going to react extremely to one subject, why not be that sensitive on others? I guess because I'm notorious for being that way and for being so "all-or-nothing" and over extreme on one subject and indifferent on another, I try extremely hard to keep my reasonings and feelings level and steady.

Honestly, what offends me the most about comedy is the brash, stupid stand up acts that are streaming with cursing. I mean, I do curse and I'm not a saint or anything, but I would like to be able to listen to one or two sentences without hearing "bleeeeep, bleeeep bleeep, BLEEP". It's just so frustrating in my opinion. I enjoy witty, sarcastic and dry humor much better and that sort of humor is what I am best at.

{/ramble}

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
It all depends on the details and the relationship to the person in question. I can't stand people who won't stand up to bullshit from others. I am not exactly sure what you mean by "bullshit on other's feelings" though.

If I feel someone is expressing emotion to a manipulative end I will often tell them their feelings are fake. "You're not actually depressed, you're just looking for attention and I won't give it to you so either stop crying or get the fuck out of my house."

I have been told this is not a thing to say to a crying person whether it's true or not. If I smell bullshit I'm going to call it. I don't care if it hurts someone's feelings. The way they react usually confirms my statement, anyway.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
You guys suck.

Yeah, I said it.

Now what. Whatcha gonna do?

Laugh. at what a little child you are. It's cute and annoying, like children always are.
LOOK AT MY SHINY RED TRUCK! IT'S BETTER THAN YOURS! BECAUSE I SAID SO.

ahhh. So cute. Now go away. The adults want to talk.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Laugh. at what a little child you are. It's cute and annoying, like children always are.
LOOK AT MY SHINY RED TRUCK! IT'S BETTER THAN YOURS! BECAUSE I SAID SO.

ahhh. So cute. Now go away. The adults want to talk.

You can't make me! Nyah! :moonwalk:

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
but what about joking around insults? and is it just "happy happy happy" and then long silence and explosion of insults? it's nice that you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but what do you do before it gets to the point that you do?