First 123 Last

Thread: INFPs cynics

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm cynical in the sense that if I think something isn't gonna work, my pessimist side comes out. And it doesn't like to leave. But I think that's more realist than cynic?

I don't really like to laugh at people who get in bad situations unless they're confident and laugh about it themselves. It makes me sad to see people get hurt. I dunno. :/
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I don't think cynical is the right word for the feelings you are describing.
    Exactly. Cynicism isn't enjoying others' misfortunes. (And don't worry, I'm not judging you for that, 'cause I totally do that too. Especially to people who "deserve" it, whatever that means.)

It's "a person who believes that only selfishness motivates human actions and who disbelieves in or minimizes selfless acts or disinterested points of view" and "showing contempt for accepted standards of honesty or morality by one's actions, esp. by actions that exploit the scruples of others". I especially identify with the 2nd one. So yeah, I'm reluctantly cynical. I want to be positive, but when you see how fucked up everything is, it's...just really, really hard to be optimistic sometimes.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I can be suspicious of people's motives.....if they are "too nice", I wonder why.

I tend to think in terms of "worst case scenario", yet still fantasize about the outcome I really want to happen because a part of me still believes it can happen.

IDK, I think life has banged & bruised many of us up a bit and cynicism is a way of being guarded, so that we're not overly vulnerable.
    i think the enneagram adds interesting points to this. especially when you describe the enneagram types as ego fixation. it seems to me there is a very distinct difference between 4w5 and 9w1 enneagram infp types. most of the 9s i know seem wayyyy more open than the 4s.

i agree totally that it is a way of being guarded. i notice a huge difference between infjs who are 5s vs infjs who are 4s or whatever else. 5s are paranoid. they use cynicism to round out the flavor of their world. it's like vanilla bean, really ties the room together. keep the world at a distance (Ti!), detach, and prevent your experiences from being routed thru the lens of the Self that hurts so much when it (the world) and your action, desire, dreams, etc are REFLECTION of you (rself) in it.

i also feel like there's a really big difference based on introversion/extroversion balance within the continuum of a type. how some infjs can be so Ni Ti and very unexpressed via Fe Se. or infps that are more Fi Si and get trapped in endless remembering, reliving the vivid emotional past (seems very enneagram 4 to me), whereas others express more and practice using Ne Te quite a bit more (and are probably 9s). get out of the traps of negative feeling, and make new, new, new.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm cynical a lot (as defined by Lacey above), but I don't usually find it amusing or fun when people are hurt or embarrassed. If someone is being really arrogant and makes a stupid mistake, I usually think they're getting what they deserve. If someone is causing pain to someone else, and then gets hurt him/herself, I usually don't have much sympathy for that person. Otherwise, though, I'm usually the first one to rush in and try to make someone feel less hurt or embarrassed.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    i think the enneagram adds interesting points to this. especially when you describe the enneagram types as ego fixation. it seems to me there is a very distinct difference between 4w5 and 9w1 enneagram infp types. most of the 9s i know seem wayyyy more open than the 4s.

i agree totally that it is a way of being guarded. i notice a huge difference between infjs who are 5s vs infjs who are 4s or whatever else. 5s are paranoid. they use cynicism to round out the flavor of their world. it's like vanilla bean, really ties the room together. keep the world at a distance (Ti!), detach, and prevent your experiences from being routed thru the lens of the Self that hurts so much when it (the world) and your action, desire, dreams, etc are REFLECTION of you (rself) in it.

i also feel like there's a really big difference based on introversion/extroversion balance within the continuum of a type. how some infjs can be so Ni Ti and very unexpressed via Fe Se. or infps that are more Fi Si and get trapped in endless remembering, reliving the vivid emotional past (seems very enneagram 4 to me), whereas others express more and practice using Ne Te quite a bit more (and are probably 9s). get out of the traps of negative feeling, and make new, new, new.
    You make enneagram 4 sound so baaaaaad

Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP

Good to know that I'm not the only one :O

by the way everybody else seems to think that we're incapable of 'bad' thoughts, i'd say that they were highly misleaded :S

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Gengar View Post
    Are any of you at times rather cynical? So for example, you laugh when someone does something embarassing or you feel a huge thrill when you see others (as long as it's not you) arguing.

Truth be told, I happen to be like that sometimes. But I'm so certain I'm INFP. Is there something wrong with my head?
    I'm a cynical idealist - its a balance for me.

As for the examples you give, my reaction would be embarrassment. I get embarrassed by everything especially someone else embarrassing themselves - its like torture for me. And I have trouble laughing at others misfortunes - unless, as someone said earlier, they really deserved it. Even then I can feel sorry for them if it goes too far. And it not like I don't have an apathetic streak. I can be insensitive and selfish at times which can lead me to say and do uncaring things.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm a cynic tried and true. It's a self protection thing. I'm only sun beams and rainbows on the inside.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Are any of you at times rather cynical? So for example, you laugh when someone does something embarassing...
    Cynical? Nihilistic would be a more accurate term... I'll run into something at work that is just crazy incompetent that will prompt me to laugh inappropriately like someone with a monocle and a white persian who is planning to blow up the moon with a giant "laser."

So yes.

by the way everybody else seems to think that we're incapable of 'bad' thoughts, i'd say that they were highly misleaded :S
    I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed here at central more actually; it's been discussed on globalchatter at times. "Cynical" is too light and bubbly a term to use in describing darkside INFPs...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    You make enneagram 4 sound so baaaaaad

well isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    Cynical? Nihilistic would be a more accurate term... I'll run into something at work that is just crazy incompetent that will prompt me to laugh inappropriately like someone with a monocle and a white persian who is planning to blow up the moon with a giant "laser."

So yes.
    i have this category of things i like called "the opposite of pet peeves." the monocle is definitely on this list.

also, it is different, this infp cynicism. it is more nihilistic. it is not detached like T jokes and banter. it's more self-defeating and hopeless, bc the strings that connect the self to the world are still held fast. the whole thing starts sinking over the horizon, a very very dark and cold sunset.