User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

I found that when I actually started to slow down and talk at a normal pace (I still probably talk faster than the average person) it was much easier to string together intricate and interesting sentences. Just by giving yourself those milli-second breaks between words allows your verbal thought to be so much more concise and appealing.

I don't know if this specifically what your problem is but I think practicing reading out loud will help you nonetheless.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I often speak way too fast and get caught up in my own words.

Especially when I talk to strangers. It's like my Ti wants to get it done with soon, my Ne is going apeshit and my mouth is playing catch up.

But when I talk to people I know well, I have no trouble making conversation.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

90% of what I speak is mushmouth, and 10% of what I write is illiteracy.

I find that in writing I can spend my time to get it right, and can be very eloquent, but in speech I'm cludgey.

And like Fluffy, for me it is Ni wanting to be done so it can imaginate, and Fe wants frrrriiiieeeends!

Ni: I want flowers in my head, but youre in the way of my imagination... go away.
    Fe: FRIEND!!! Tell me your problems!!! I can help!!!

Of Ni subverts Fe like an INTJ mafia boss subverts his minions into doing the dirty work.

Ni: Get him to go away please, I dont like him.
    Fe: Me either! [Insert bitchy retorts to the aggressors statements here]
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

heart on fire

For me, it is that the words don't come at all. I speak slowly and draw complete blanks many times so I just say very little. People think (and at times have felt free to say!) lights on, nobody home, but it is simply not true. Words fly to my hands and fly away from my lips!

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    For me, it is that the words don't come at all. I speak slowly and draw complete blanks many times so I just say very little. People think (and at times have felt free to say!) lights on, nobody home, but it is simply not true. Words fly to my hands and fly away from my lips!
    Totally true! I always feel like such a dag when I cant say a simple idea coherently. I find when I talk with my INTP friend we can brainstorm easily and communicate effectively. Especially since we've been friends for so long that we can say some thing like 'Can you do that to the thing so this will happen?' and the other understands what the talker meant perfectly. I always wonder how other people hearing the conversation will react (Especially Ss)
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Hm. I think I sound smarter when I type than when I speak. Mostly because the words just come out when talking and then I realize they're totally nonrelated to the subject at hand and I'm experiencing a blonde moment despite my lack of blondeness.

But writing is different. You get to think it out more. I am better at that, yes, but speaking is just a different monster altogether. Its purpose is different, y'know? And we INFPs have a wonderful gift for screwing up conversations in an endearing way. We make it work.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    INFP

ME TOO! I have these tremendous pauses where my brain just shorts out for a second, and everybody around me is straining for me to "spit it out." It drives my family nuts, since they're all fast paced speakers.

Whimsical ... I don't know if this idea is helpful for your situation, but I find that keeping a blog is really fun and helpful for me. Some people I know feel that this "blog" idea is a sorry substitute for "real" interaction, but I find that it's a really therapeutic way for me to get my thoughts out, and it's not a sorry substitute at all. When my "real life" friends and family are able to read some of my thoughts, they discover a whole new side of me that they don't always get through my speech. It can be a fun way for people to relate with you in the arena where you excel.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

With me its true, lights are on, but there is noooboody home
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

You are INFP. :pats on back: It's okay.

But seriously I am the same way and yes, it is frustrating.
    Me too. I think it's an INxx thing in general.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

imo, there is less time to think in a conversation.. not only that, but there is so much to observe while conversing... facial expression (although, because of that i tend to not look at faces- i assume that's why, anyway).. other external stimuli... it's more of a time to collect information than it is to formulate ideas. ideas tend to become clear once i've distanced myself from people and noise.. the silence almost has to be filled with thoughts and inevitably- new conclusions.
    [B]Ti=Ne>Ni>Fe>Te=Fi>Si>Se

LII

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Quote Originally Posted by laintpe
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Ideally I'll be the woman