User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Touchiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    my body is my own and I hardly let anyone touch me. Is this normal for any of the rest of you?
    I don't know if it's normal, but I'm the same way and I'm not INF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I want to know if many of the other INFP/Js are like this too. I don't like being touched by people I don't know.
    Yes I REALLY dislike it when people I don't know or am not already comfortable with touch me. It ignites a bit of exasperation/huge lack of patience against them.

On the other hand, if I'm cool with you and we're 'huggers'. Then a hug in greeting/parting is fine - beyond that and I'll want to run away from you with a "get off of me!" look on my face.

Now, with my girl? Bring on the touchiness - I can't get enough from her.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Did they hurt you?

Strangers = no commitment, no true harm.
    I was wondering a similar thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I took a 10 week massage course with three other people, total strangers to me, and we paired up 2 and 2 to work on each other, completely nekkid under the sheet on the table. I didn't pursue it as a career because of my own bad back, but I was happy for a stranger to come in off the street, have a shower, and lie down for a massage (non-sexual, I'm talking professional body work here...). What about in that context?
    I think if we go into individual contexts this thread could take years. Plus, it's not fair, we're talking about personalities and thus individual contexts rarely apply to a general (at least as I understand it, right?). Anyway, I'm relatively ok with a massage therapist touching me. Well, comparatively I think I am, they always seem to think I need to relax. lol. There's also a level of control there though. If I wanted them to stop I'm absolutely sure they would and they're doing this as a favor of sorts to me. I've presented someone with a solution to a problem, they're not just hugging me and thinking it'll make things better.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I don't know if it's normal, but I'm the same way and I'm not INF.
    hmmm, iiiiinnnnnteresting.... *jots down notes*

Quote Originally Posted by Wyst View Post
    Yes I REALLY dislike it when people I don't know or am not already comfortable with touch me. It ignites a bit of exasperation/huge lack of patience against them.

On the other hand, if I'm cool with you and we're 'huggers'. Then a hug in greeting/parting is fine - beyond that and I'll want to run away from you with a "get off of me!" look on my face.

Now, with my girl? Bring on the touchiness - I can't get enough from her.
    I can relate. A friend says I'm one of those people who has a "bubble" around me that just needs to be respected.

That bit about your girl. That's totally, completely, entirely adorable.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

That bit about your girl. That's totally, completely, entirely adorable.
    haha - i guess i mean that that's how i'll be WHEN i get a girl
    i can't wait! ah.. someday.

MBTI
    INTP

This is an interesting topic. I don't mind being touched--I like it. But like someone else mentioned, I don't like it when people are too touchy, like my ENFP friend, because it feels like they're just groping you without warning and you're never prepared for it. I also don't like it when I go out with a guy I don't know very well, and he wants to test the waters by touching my waist, standing too close, etc. I have to know you better before I want you to touch me. A hug's not bad, but an arm around my waist feels like a boyfriend thing, unless I know you're just a friend/father figure/platonic whatever. And there is nothing creepier to me than a dude I don't know very well hugging juuuuuust a bit too long or trying to run his hands up my back. Ew.
    Something Witty

This is an interesting difference between INFP and ENFP, which I noticed in real life recently. While Im not outgoingly touchy feely, I would never be annoyed with a hug, and always think the world needs more of it. I dont do it a lot of the time, but that absense of closeness annoys me. The introverts seem happy with that distance, and like to control it as a boundary more. There is a lot more of a defended fortress that is self. This makes a lot of sense given the habits of introverts vs extroverts, it just shocked me that there is such similarity in other ways between NFPs, but in this sense the introvert is way slower to jump at opportunity, almost to the point of refusing what they have not had time to adapt to. (Tell me if Im completely wrong and making up crap.)
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    This is an interesting topic. I don't mind being touched--I like it. But like someone else mentioned, I don't like it when people are too touchy, like my ENFP friend, because it feels like they're just groping you without warning and you're never prepared for it. I also don't like it when I go out with a guy I don't know very well, and he wants to test the waters by touching my waist, standing too close, etc. I have to know you better before I want you to touch me. A hug's not bad, but an arm around my waist feels like a boyfriend thing, unless I know you're just a friend/father figure/platonic whatever. And there is nothing creepier to me than a dude I don't know very well hugging juuuuuust a bit too long or trying to run his hands up my back. Ew.
    You would HATE an ENTP I know, then. We're still trying to teach him a little thing called a 'Personal bubble.' So far I think rubbing him when he gets a tad irritating works. Thankfully a lot of his attention goes to ENFPs who have the energy to have the patience for his shenanigans. (But that's for a different thread)

Did I post here already? Too lazy to check, but I follow a similar consensus. I prefer not to be touched unless I'm close to the person (I like to give surprise hugs, the look on their face can be priceless!)
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    You would HATE an ENTP I know, then. We're still trying to teach him a little thing called a 'Personal bubble.' So far I think rubbing him when he gets a tad irritating works. Thankfully a lot of his attention goes to ENFPs who have the energy to have the patience for his shenanigans. (But that's for a different thread)
    hehe, I can follow ENTP thoughts, but know what you mean exactly. They love banter. I dont really get tired of it, except when hearing a lot about intelligent theoretical stuff. They know when you want time alone and invade with precision and probing questions (usually amusing, but personal). Fortunately I love being probed with personal questions, though it sometimes worries me that Im giving away more when they see so much already.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    *pounces on Tallulah* SMOOCH SMOOCH SMOOCH!!!

She brings up a good point about context. For example, if my ESFJ male friend was hugging me, it was natural for him to do so because he was a physical guy and gave hugs. Not creepy hugs. Just hugs. If another guy who wasn't a hugger came up and hugged me the way ESFJ friend hugged me? NO. Just NO. I used to like the way an ESFP friend of mine would just float up and drape an arm around my shoulders. It wasn't gropey or weird. He was so carefree and earthy, it just made sense with his personality.

And I never complained when flirting/rough housing with my ENTP. He could get me in a body press and I wouldn't care AT ALL. That was being close to him, and he was careful with me, so I didn't mind.

Girlfriends may hug me all they want if it helps them.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    *pounces on Tallulah* SMOOCH SMOOCH SMOOCH!!!
    That's the kind of stuff that makes me cringe....