User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I like science, especially physics. Have a thing for the very big and the very small. String theory is fascinating. Basically, the Te as the inferior function relegates these passions to the level of hobby, so it's not a job.

Not sure I necessarily agree with the Antisocial One, because NFs might use computers as a tool to communicate and not as technology for its own sake. This might take the self selection argument down a different twist. I like computers, but only to the degree that they serve my purpose.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I am a scientist by training and profession. My studied chemistry at Uni and then got a job as anlalytical chemist in a government lab in the Uk, testing foods for nutrients and contaminants. Eventually, I joined a Forensic Science team at the same lab. I now work in New Zealand as a Senior Forensic Scientist.

NFs can be very good at science, but our interests, approach and motivations tend to be quite different from NTs. We're not so naturally adept with the teeny, tiny technical details (this aspect of my job still gives me headaches, even though I'm very good at what I do), and we usually require some higher meaning or purpose to work as a scientist. For me, that's helping society by fighting crime.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    NFs can be very good at science, but our interests, approach and motivations tend to be quite different from NTs. We're not so naturally adept with the teeny, tiny technical details (this aspect of my job still gives me headaches, even though I'm very good at what I do), and we usually require some higher meaning or purpose to work as a scientist. For me, that's helping society by fighting crime.
    I agree completely, which is why a gravitated towards biotechnology.

Supposedly this is a big distinction between NTs and NFs. NTs tend to see knowledge as an end unto itself that requires no further justification for motivation. I, as an INFJ, on the other hand may find such knowledge interesting, but knowledge in and of itself is ultimately subordinate to using knowledge to help others in terms of motivating our behavior. In my case this is Ni and Ti feeding data to Fe.

Finally this also helps explain why I was mistyped as an INTP for a long time. For one thing most internet MBTI tests don't distingish between Ni and Ne. Also, just because I use Ti alot does mean it is the ultimate source of my motivation. And finally the way such tests are worded makes my Fe weaker than it really is because of my Asperger's Syndrome despite it being such a major source of motivation for me.
    Autistic INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    I am a scientist by training and profession. My studied chemistry at Uni and then got a job as anlalytical chemist in a government lab in the Uk, testing foods for nutrients and contaminants. Eventually, I joined a Forensic Science team at the same lab. I now work in New Zealand as a Senior Forensic Scientist.

Wow apollo I admire your tenacity/J!! I was so bad at analytical as I am so not detail oriented. The labs made me crazy!!! I would fill my corner of the lab with muttered curse words and slammed down vials.

I actually spent a year w an analytical chem prof doing maldi-MS which was awesome, once past the details!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    Wow apollo I admire your tenacity/J!! I was so bad at analytical as I am so not detail oriented. The labs made me crazy!!! I would fill my corner of the lab with muttered curse words and slammed down vials.

I actually spent a year w an analytical chem prof doing maldi-MS which was awesome, once past the details!
    I HATE analytical chemistry! It is the worst college course with a lab component I have taken. I agree completely that THE DETAILS SUCK!!! Now Molecular Biology and Microbiology, THOSE were fun courses!
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    I HATE analytical chemistry! It is the worst college course with a lab component I have taken. I agree completely that THE DETAILS SUCK!!! Now Molecular Biology and Microbiology, THOSE were fun courses!
    A lot depends on the quality of the teachers/lecturers. NFs do SO much better when we have teachers who displays some or all of the following traits:

Enthusiasm
    Friendliness
    Openness to questions
    Patience when we're struggling with the details

When I decided to go for my Analytical Chemistry MSc, I already knew the tutors from my Chemistry BSc. The fact that I knew and liked them was a major factor in my decision to take that degree. The other main reason was because Analytical Chemistry provided a way to take all of my theoretical chemistry knowledge and develop it into a practical skill-set which I could use in the real world.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    ENFJ

Whoot! Whoot! Glad I found this thread. ENFJ here working on innovation -- more recently dabbling in systems biology, bioinformatics, etc. related to the emerging field of personalized medicine. Totally agree with Apollanaut -- I'm not one for technical details, driven more about social implications of my findings. One advantage I have had in comparison to my NT colleagues is that I am willing to pursue/lead outrageous projects -- I see the possibilities and aren't scared off by the barriers/challenges. I get pumped up by getting other scientists / thought leaders excited about the possibilities -- on what we can accomplish together. I catalyze things -- take it to the next level. I'm glad there are other NFs in the field. You guys makes it fun

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by g_vartan View Post
    Whoot! Whoot! Glad I found this thread. ENFJ here working on innovation -- more recently dabbling in systems biology, bioinformatics, etc. related to the emerging field of personalized medicine. Totally agree with Apollanaut -- I'm not one for technical details, driven more about social implications of my findings. One advantage I have had in comparison to my NT colleagues is that I am willing to pursue/lead outrageous projects -- I see the possibilities and aren't scared off by the barriers/challenges. I get pumped up by getting other scientists / thought leaders excited about the possibilities -- on what we can accomplish together. I catalyze things -- take it to the next level. I'm glad there are other NFs in the field. You guys makes it fun
    Now THAT is awesome!
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    NFs are obviously common in the social sciences, and NTs almost totally dominate the physical sciences, but NFs do not seem to be uncommon in the life sciences, and I myself am a biology major. I find physics interesting but it's too much math. I find chemistry generally boring except for biochemistry. But Biology I have always loved since I was a kid.

Any other NFs here who are into sciency stuff?
    Myself: loved bilogy, liked geography, math was ok, psychology sounded too complicating in high school. Later I've been more interested. Social psychology is something that I've been probably the most interested when stydying even if my major was economics. Don't ask me why I didn't chooce the major that I found interesting (because I found economics pretty boring)...because I coulnd't answer that question.

Physics boring. Chemistry even more boring.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

In my long career as a analytical chemist/forensic scientist, I have encountered all four NF types. A handful of INFJs, ENFPs and ENFJs, but the most common, perhaps surprisingly, have been INFPs.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

And if I only could,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush