User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 55

  1. #31
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am sorry for my INTJness.

    I think that the data given from this could be somewhat missleding. This is because people that are into computers, engineering and physics are more likely to hang out on internet forum. Also NFs that are not too interested in science are more like not to post in this thread in the first place.

    Just saying.
    Dont apologize silly. We wub you for your INTJness!!

    I think Ne-Fi sees all the interconnections and is very much drawn to the complexity in the science. We see the beauty, the poetry, the grace of how these things interconnect. However we may need to have a pretty well developed tertiary Te to pull off a science degree. Ti can come online but it needs a lot of excercise for mine to stay in shape. Ne shines like a rock star though.

    When I took quantum mechanics, at a grad level, and it was all in Bra-Ket forms, it was so beautiful and abstract. Under the abstract notation, massive amounts of math were being twisted and turned, and problems solved but all buried into this simplistic formulation. It was like dancing.

    Also when I see advanced math books, I dont want to do the math for use it for anything, but I do want to understand the connections and symbolism . I want to understand what the symbols mean and it becomes a challenge to me given my Ti deficeit.

    Oh one more, laplace transforms, or just transforms in general were like a religious experience for me. The idea that you could modify the external coordinates, plant the whole problem in a new set of coordinates, solve it and then retunr to the original was effin awesome. (Im a little rusty if I described that wrong)

    Coo-coo for coo-puffs.

  2. #32
    Junior Member brinmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Fellow NF science geek. I work in microbiology, and I love it. NTs do still dominate the biological sciences in many areas, but you can find a decent smattering of NFs if you look for 'em.

  3. #33
    Aspie Idealist TaylorS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    I like my physics teacher, he doesn't teach physics, he teaches thinking - how everything relates, how physics relates, what does it mean, the big picture, connections.

    I think they should just teach stuff as a big fat plumb of everything, or at least connect them better, not just separate and leave the big picture scattered.
    LOL, that's exactly how I would teach. Terms like "Physics", "Biology", etc. are merely labels created by us, they have no independent reality. Treating them as if they did have an independent reality discourages interdisciplinary study and fresh ideas from outside, and even leads to clique-based stupidity. For example back in the 50s it was a common statement that "fungi are studied by botanists and they are plants by definition". In fact Fungi are more closely related to animals then they are to plants. Only when people got out of the clique-ish mindset held together by the traditional 2-Kingdom classification system and the dichotomy between Zoology and Botany that the evolutionary relationships of the fungi, algae, and protozoans began to be understood
    Autistic INFP


  4. #34
    Aspie Idealist TaylorS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brinmat View Post
    Fellow NF science geek. I work in microbiology, and I love it. NTs do still dominate the biological sciences in many areas, but you can find a decent smattering of NFs if you look for 'em.
    WOOT!!! I love microbiology, the study of protists, especially. I fell in love with ciliate protozoans when I was a kid, they are SO CUTE!!!
    Autistic INFP


  5. #35
    Aspie Idealist TaylorS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    Dont apologize silly. We wub you for your INTJness!!

    I think Ne-Fi sees all the interconnections and is very much drawn to the complexity in the science. We see the beauty, the poetry, the grace of how these things interconnect. However we may need to have a pretty well developed tertiary Te to pull off a science degree. Ti can come online but it needs a lot of excercise for mine to stay in shape. Ne shines like a rock star though.

    When I took quantum mechanics, at a grad level, and it was all in Bra-Ket forms, it was so beautiful and abstract. Under the abstract notation, massive amounts of math were being twisted and turned, and problems solved but all buried into this simplistic formulation. It was like dancing.

    Also when I see advanced math books, I dont want to do the math for use it for anything, but I do want to understand the connections and symbolism . I want to understand what the symbols mean and it becomes a challenge to me given my Ti deficeit.

    Oh one more, laplace transforms, or just transforms in general were like a religious experience for me. The idea that you could modify the external coordinates, plant the whole problem in a new set of coordinates, solve it and then retunr to the original was effin awesome. (Im a little rusty if I described that wrong)

    Coo-coo for coo-puffs.
    LOL, it's the same with me for biochemistry, ecology, and evolutionary biology. Knowing that such wonderful structures and patterns are the result of a complex mix of natural selection and self-assembling chaos makes me goo-goo-eyed in wonder. It always make me think of the wonderful last paragraph of The Origin of Species:

    "There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."
    Autistic INFP


  6. #36
    Junior Member brinmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    WOOT!!! I love microbiology, the study of protists, especially. I fell in love with ciliate protozoans when I was a kid, they are SO CUTE!!!
    lol! I feel the same way, although I think bacteria are even more adorable. One of the first labs we did in my first Micro class was looking at what they call a hay infusion, which ends up growing a mix of bacteria and protozoa. It's just so cute seeing these little chains of rods just swimming around.

    So... hehe... that's probably what distinguishes me from the more NT-minded microbiologists.

  7. #37
    half-nut member briochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    637

    Default

    I really like science. Some of the other teachers at my school think I should scrap being an English teacher and become a Science teacher. I enjoyed the ideas of physics but it was too much math for me. I like biology, and I loved the physical part of chemistry, the mathy-formulaic stuff...I have to admit I copied from peers sometimes. :p I love astronomy. But, I am only a layman science geek. Good for science fairs and middle school classes and trivia shows and bad for making a job of it.

    ...as a teen my favorite comic strip was Foxtrot.
    -Brio

    "I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt
    ___________________

  8. #38
    Aspie Idealist TaylorS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brinmat View Post
    lol! I feel the same way, although I think bacteria are even more adorable. One of the first labs we did in my first Micro class was looking at what they call a hay infusion, which ends up growing a mix of bacteria and protozoa. It's just so cute seeing these little chains of rods just swimming around.

    So... hehe... that's probably what distinguishes me from the more NT-minded microbiologists.
    I remember running into a site selling cute plush stuffed toys of various microbes and going "I WANT ONE!!!"
    Autistic INFP


  9. #39
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    I remember running into a site selling cute plush stuffed toys of various microbes and going "I WANT ONE!!!"
    My friend has like fourty of those little guys. All species and types of widdle microsbes in her desk at work. For being HIV and HepB they are Soooooo cute...

  10. #40
    Junior Member SpaZZakaZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    29

    Default

    I took Maths and Human Biology and did well in both of them.
    Baaaaad at English, I can't explain myself logically enough.
    Things like Art never appealed to me because I don't like doing creative things within a school structure. Too restrictive.
    I was good at high school Physics, but more interested in Quantum Physics.
    No human being is so bad as to be beyond redemption, no human being is so perfect as to warrant his destroying him whom he wrongly considers to be wholly evil.
    Gandhi


    Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
    Louisa May Alcott


    Don't worry, be happy.
    Meher Baba

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] NFs in the humanitarian world
    By Malkavia in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 11:56 PM
  2. [Other] Represent Team NF in the 1st Unofficial Forum Rap Battle
    By Wind Up Rex in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 05:41 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Anyone here the lone NF in their family?
    By chris1207 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 12:49 AM
  4. [NF] Defining Moments in the life of an NF
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 10:27 PM
  5. [Other] New group in the Triangle (NC) for NFs
    By proudphoenix in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2008, 06:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO