First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    NFs have just as much sucess in the sciences, though not as many NFs go into the sciences as NTs.
    Ns in general are more common in the sciences; N dominants in particular. I used to work at a biochem lab which was focused more on chem, and the staff was mainly comprised of INTJs and ENTPs (I think the INTPs were over in physics...). Most of the NFs I know in science are INFJs and ENFPs (less ENFPs, but still more than ENFJ and INFP together). To me, science becomes increasingly less interesting past the molecular level as that is where the "less obvious" lies.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

im betting that Stephan Jay Gould was an F. just based on his writing style all of the analogies he'd use...some of the arguments he'd get into over evolution and reductionists etc...

i think INFJs are probably the most commone NF scientists

I did my undergrad in biochemistry and graduate work in biophysics. I spent several years in RnD, then in Technical Training and now I am in Technical Marketing.

I find I can grasp the big picture as well as an NT due to the super Ne and some Te support but I will never be as good at the fine deliniation of details as an NT.

I am actually better at identifying/troubleshooting flaws in a system than even an ENTP, but I cant always determine how to solve the problem, just identify where it is. I am like a bird dog-I "point" so the NTs can come problem solve.

I find I actually serve a really valuable function where I am at, as I understand how most scientists think, which allows me to modify products to meet thier needs more effectively. A pure NT isnt as good at this.

Could just be me though.

My Life science/biology customers at the decision making (PhD level) seem to be about 40% ENTP, 40% INTP, 10% INTJ and 10% other Ns. Notably I have found several INFJs recently.

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

i had higher level chemistry in high school, which i actually liked. it sort of helped me understand how atoms and molecules worked properly. interestingly enough, i liked unorganic chemistry the best. as far as physics go, quantum mechanics is the only chapters that i find interesting (although I DO NOT FAVOR THE EQUATIONS). mundane physics bore me. biology got me a high grade, but apart from the immune system and neurobiology i had little interest in it.

i'm naturally passionate about languages; i speak 3 fluently as well as 2 of which i can string together a little more than coherent sentences in both speech and writing. i also have a high cognition for semantics, so even if i don't know the specific language, i can usually understand what the semantics of the context is about.

i've since then also learned programming languages and the semantics behind them at my university. object oriented languages are not as mathematical as people outside understanding may think; it's more about coherence and cognition than it ever was about maths - but they are still logic based.

due to the background processes we learned as well, i discovered that there is more psychology in human-computer interaction than meets the eye, and it caught my interest from the beginning. i've since then been looking into mbti, archetype/personalities and their primary skills for my own seperate studies.

i agree with the notice that N dominant are more likely to spend life as scientists. i feel like a scholar myself: i have to research, i have to seek, to find the truth and thus i propel myself and those around me forward in advancements.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by sade View Post
    + 1 to all, this is creepy.
    I'm the same, except that I hold a small interest in languages and sociology.
    Heh, my big science interests (social sciences included) are biology, geology, astronomy, and lingustics.
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SpottingTrains View Post
    For every science I find that I enjoy the structure but complete detachment from anything emotional puts me at a disadvantage. Over the years I have continuously struggled and slowly developed my Ti to a point where I can be productive but at the cost of draining my soul.

Yes, the italics were necessary!
    WHAAA??? I find a lot of science things to be very emotional in the sense of wonderful, beautiful, and astonishing.
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    but archeology is still a great combination of introversion and "adventure". a bit autistic, though.
    Well, I find archeology fascinating and I have Asperger's, so...
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    im betting that Stephan Jay Gould was an F. just based on his writing style all of the analogies he'd use...some of the arguments he'd get into over evolution and reductionists etc...

i think INFJs are probably the most commone NF scientists

I always thought he was an INTP. But then again us science-minded INFJ males often get mistyped as INTPs, both types have Fe and Ti.

And I've always agreed with his criticisms of reductionism and evolutionary psychology. Hmmm...
    Autistic INFP

garbage

I've got a few engineering degrees, and I'm going for one in computer science right now. Specializing in cognitive science, it's a "roundabout" and "accepted" way to get into psychology. After this degree, I plan on pursuing an MBA and perhaps a psychology degree outright. So it seems I'm getting more and more into the "soft" and "social" sciences.

Of the "hard" sciences, I'm most interested in and good at math and physics.. never really cared for the others.

Right now, I work in engineering, business, management, psychology, information technology, education, and computer programming, but my official title is "Research Scientist." Most everyone at my research center is NT (with one or two ST), but then, when I'm doing "actual" work, I come across as NT, too.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

In my last year of high school my best subjects were Maths and Physics and my worst was English.

I think I felt the Arts and Humanities naturally ran through my veins so instead I went on to study them at University. However my fascination for theoretical physics (particularly astrophysics) will never die.