• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF's and boredom

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm never bored (except for some classes in school and being caught in situations, with topics that do not interest me) because there's always something to do or think about.
But I actually now enjoy some of the things I found boring.

SpaZZakaZZ

MBTI Type
INFP
A lack of fun and adventure, coupled with the feeling it will never change, can make me feel suicidal. It makes me think, "What's the point if there's no joy?"

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the dislike of/boredom with routines is more a P thing than NF.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Well when I was bored I tried to go out and have "fun" to the point of exhaustion and even then I continued. Its was kind of weird, I have a ENFP friend that went through this something, eventually you grow out of it, at least that is what happened to me.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Earlier in my lifetime I have been so incredibly bored with life and routines, so bored that I tried to overdose several times on drugs(I honestly have no idea why I am still alive. o_O).

Boredom and despair.

Not nowadays though.

Is there any other NF out there who recognize this feeling?

I definitely do. I've tried gaining an addiction a few times over the years and nothing has worked. If anything it started feeling like a job so I stopped. I wish I could fall easily into a bad habit so I can distract myself from boredom. Now I just listen to music for hours and hours.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm rarely bored. Not that it ever happens. I actually seem to get bored when I'm depressed, maybe because I can't think of ways to entertain myself, and it kind of creates a cycle. I try not to get bored though, because that tends to lead to the said depression which tends to encourage me into old habbits and I've had enough addictions in the past to know that I don't want to go down that road.
so, I read, I dream, I hike, I paint, I bug my coworkers with random facts and talk about the dreams I had, I play quiz games online, I search deviantart with the most random words I can think of, I take photos, I upload them, and I try and take joy in even life's mundane things. Generally this keeps me from being bored. When all else fails I go to sleep.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm. Well, I can relate to the OP and getting exceedingly bored with Life at times. But maybe it has something to do with my age; I'm not sure. I don't remember getting bored to the point of having existential crises or the like back when I was a teenager or in my early 20's. It was really only something that started to occur by my mid-20's. Just growing weary of the real world, having to maintain a job, and getting stuck in day-to-day routines - pretty much anything tied with 'reality' and the need to make a living -- which, well, is reality. So when things get too routinized, I start to feel trapped and start to feel despair -- and feel stagnant and cringe at the thought of doing the same thing, day in and day out, for the rest of my life. So I then need to shake things up and try to un-boreify (haha! new word!) my life. As the years go by I need to become more creative, though.....

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
yeah, boredom sucks. The thing about boredom is nothing really seems to
satisfy it. When I have the concentration to read if I find a book that's r-
eally good I can loose myself in it and become preoccupied with it while si-
mutaneously going out with my friends and partying on the side. Often here
anymore we don't get out and end up partying at each others houses, and
during the day I end up taking on an overload of work and volunteer projects
and squeeze time for shopping in. I fantasize about that vacation I've been
wanting to take and have been saving for and daydream about being on a
vacation if I can't literally go on it yet. I do everything I can to prolong the
novelty of things wearing off. My boredom is mainly related to not having
the career or college opportunities I want and having to make do with what
I have to work with and learning things I want on my own in my free time.
I've found out daydreaming does help with real life stressors I don't know
how because daydreams aren't real but it does. Even though i'm a rational
type I don't mind being surprised by things that seem to happen for a reason
but have no logical explanation. I guess I realized this when a few opportunities
I might have missed came my way because I'd been places I might not have
had I not been daydreaming and got wander lust and just been out running
around.

sculpting

When I run out of things to keep Ne entertained then I do end up with a hollowed out empty blahness. I dont want action or adventure, but I want things to connect endlessly, like a neverending game of tetris or puzzles. When I run out of puzzles, or there is nothing neat on the horizan I start to feel really blah.
If the puzzles have a people componenet even better.

What this means is that I have an endless string of hobbies/interests that border on obsessive interest. Horses, chickens (I love chickens!), plants, neuropharmacology, and so on... With the plants, I endlessly rearrange them, pick at them, move them, then add more.. All the puzzles are like that-I pick and pick and manipulate to keep myself entertained.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
It varies. I can entertain myself for hours with next to nothing or get bored with everything and look for something to do.

I get restless - like I'm waiting for something and don't know what that is. Thats when it is the worse.