User Tag List

123 Last

Default Fi-Insight into how others' emotional states?

For those with primary, secondary or tertiary Fi:

Do you think Fi allows you to have a better understand how others may be "feeling" even if they are not openly sharing that information?

Does seeing another unhappy make you feel some level of discomfort-sort of a reflective unhappiness on a physiological level? Ie you mirror what you perceive their emotions to be just a little?

How certain are you that the things you "think" they are feeling are actually what they are feeling? Do you ever make mistakes or misunderstand? How accurate is the information that you pick up on?

Unitl very recently I never even thought about this stuff, I would see another in what I perceived to be a state of emotional discomfort and reflexively extend an attempt to help, never even considering that my gut perception/response could be potentially inaccurate, presumptious, and intrusive. Just trying to understand this one...

Thoughts?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I guess I read people's bodylanguage, or hear their intonation or find their wording of a sentence off, and sometimes just...intuit it. And before I say something, I link that to what has been going on in their life as far as I know, what kind of person they are, how they would likely respond to that situation etc. If I do not have that data, I'll start a conversation with them, to gather this info.

Once I have all of that, I reach a conclusion and approach them based on that to see if I'm right. Sometimes I do get it wrong, but that's often because I was missing a piece of information. Once I have that, it's usually fixed. There are people that I do get wrong, and that's coz I don't know them that well yet and they are a different type of person than the ones I've encountered so far, or they are so far from who I am, that it is hard to relate. But I rarely give up. These people, if they have the patience for it, can teach me a lot. And next time, I will be better prepared.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    Do you think Fi allows you to have a better understand how others may be "feeling" even if they are not openly sharing that information?
    Yes.

Does seeing another unhappy make you feel some level of discomfort-sort of a reflective unhappiness on a physiological level? Ie you mirror what you perceive their emotions to be just a little?
    Very much so. It works with happiness and joy, as well. It may be called selfish, but part of the reason I enjoy cheering people up is that I sense them going from sad to happy, and that I pick up on that as well and it makes me happy.

How certain are you that the things you "think" they are feeling are actually what they are feeling? Do you ever make mistakes or misunderstand? How accurate is the information that you pick up on?
    Fi is internal, so it draws on our experiences - both direct, indirect, and to a lesser extent theoretical when Ne comes into play. (I don't have to have experienced or seen a mood before to have an understanding of it, only theorized and contemplated it. It's a pencil sketch; not fully accurate but a good start.)

Since it comes from within, if someone is experiencing something I am unfamiliar with, or if I'm personally invested, I can misinterpret my own personal biases onto them. It's a weakness I do my best to keep in check.

When I pick up on information, it ranges from 'eerily accurate' to 'pretty good, but you missed a couple of things'. I've just sort of accepted and expect that I can't presume to understand everything that motivates someone; people are complex.

If you are curious, we also talked about this a bit in Blackcat's INFP profile and the Blackcat and Costrin super personality profile thread.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

FI makes me more self-absorbed. I use NE to try and understand other people.
    Yes, I would like some sponge cake.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yes absolutely...it's not even a process i'm aware of or one that i think about at all but i instinctively feel like i know the emotional state of whoever i'm with and treat them accordingly...like hot water being poured into cool...and becoming warm...that most likely doesn't make sense.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes.

Yes, I feel what they are feeling somewhat to get a greater understanding.

How certain are you that the things you "think" they are feeling are actually what they are feeling?
    90% certain, the point of "knowing" is to help, so I'll often say "what's wrong?" etc to get to the bottom of it.

Do you ever make mistakes or misunderstand?
    Yes, I'm sure everyone does. But like I said above, it's all in asking people questions to get clarity, then you help. It's not that inaccurate though for me.

How accurate is the information that you pick up on?
    I can usually get somewhere. An example is that a friend of mine seemed different for some reason online... I couldn't pin down why. I thought he was sad but my logical side immediately dismissed that due to it's unlikeliness. So I asked him "is anything wrong?" and he said "no, why?". Then I explained what I felt by saying "I don't know, something is just different" and then he told me that that day was the first day he started his anti depressants. This was inaccurate (my initial judgment) because I didn't know what someone was like just getting on anti depressants, all I knew was that his mood was lowered (the accurate part).

That was purely online though, in real life it's much easier and I'm usually correct. This is because I can take cues from body language and I'm near them, which helps (being near someone gives me a heightened awareness of their mental state, moreso than just talking on the internet).
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    yes absolutely...it's not even a process i'm aware of or one that i think about at all but i instinctively feel like i know the emotional state of whoever i'm with and treat them accordingly...like hot water being poured into cool...and becoming warm...that most likely doesn't make sense.
    oh, I understand, like you flow together into the other person a little bit. Like you merge with them some. Fi kind of feels this way to me-like it has little whispy tendrils that dissolve/morph/accomadate a little into other people. It's hard for them to ignore it, and most will respond to it.

The other night a guy I just met kept asking me "why are you cute? What is it about you?" . Not pretty cute, but more glowing cute. I think he was picking up on the Fi that sort of spills out and tickles people.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post

Does seeing another unhappy make you feel some level of discomfort-sort of a reflective unhappiness on a physiological level?
    I hate to bring this up, because it usually devolves into a very long discussion, but how would that differ from Fe? A person using Fe would still tend to feel the emotions of another person as their own, wouldn't they? How else would a person experience others' emotions?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Fi comes from within and spreads out.

Fe starts outside and works its way in.

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

I tend to be able to pinpoint emotional states very well. Others and my own.
    I also try not to take in too much of others emotional states as it can ruin my day unless I can help.
    That's the reason I do not play the therapist as much any more and only focus on those around me that I feel a different kind of care for.

I am cute, I am told. -.-'' I WANT TO BE HOT! xD
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari