• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Se] poetic urges

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Does anyone else get like this, I usually go a while where I will have no flow, no inspiration to write, and then there comes a period in time where I suddenly have the urge to write and to seek experiences which will help me develop my own ideas. It's like there is a message inside of my head that is dying to come out, but I don't know how to get it out, until I put it on paper.

Sometimes it comes on so quick that I just get in the state and I take 30 minutes by myself concentrating on words, and I can finish a quite decent piece. I write until I feel I have expressed what I have inside, and then go back to developing new ideas.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
When I experience a significant internal change, such as an ideological transition, I immediately feel the need to express this change through poetry.

Generally speaking, the resulting poem shares many characteristics with the internal change.

Also, after I feel that my change has been sufficiently expressed, I no longer possess the extreme desire to write poetry.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always think of things to write all of a sudden at inconvenient times (ie. while driving). It either ends up a lost idea, comes back to me later, or I repeat it over & over until I can get to some paper.

The middle of the night is a creative time for me too, but it's hard to do a lot because then you fall into this vampire schedule and cannot function well in the real world.

But yeah, it goes in cycles....there will be times in which i can think of nothing to write, and forcing it just produces crap (not like I'm all that brilliant to begin with :p ).

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Does anyone else get like this, I usually go a while where I will have no flow, no inspiration to write, and then there comes a period in time where I suddenly have the urge to write and to seek experiences which will help me develop my own ideas.

This is exactly how it works for me. I have a dry spell and then a sudden tsunami of creativity.

I always think of things to write all of a sudden at inconvenient times (ie. while driving). It either ends up a lost idea, comes back to me later, or I repeat it over & over until I can get to some paper.

The middle of the night is a creative time for me too, but it's hard to do a lot because then you fall into this vampire schedule and cannot function well in the real world.

This is so true for me too! I try to keep a notepad by my bed to jot things down, and that helps me not fall into the "vampire schedule," as you call it. Sometimes, though, I still end up staying up all night writing when the urge strikes, much to my detriment the following morning...

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
This is so true for me too! I try to keep a notepad by my bed to jot things down, and that helps me not fall into the "vampire schedule," as you call it. Sometimes, though, I still end up staying up all night writing when the urge strikes, much to my detriment the following morning...

I literally have a notepad sitting on the floor beside my bed filled with random pieces of my writing and have the definitely had my fair share of baggy-eyed mornings due to 'tsunmai'-like fits of writing. Though in my opinion it is always worth it :yes:

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ah! Same as everyone. Especially the part about internal change:

When I experience a significant internal change, such as an ideological transition, I immediately feel the need to express this change through poetry.

Whenever I feel something happening in my "soul" (whatever that is) I write a poem on the crest of the wave, hoping that by taking down the language that comes into my head, perhaps I'll make a record, or an artifact of the change (and thereby of myself; I think I read a poem once that talked about how "I am in possession of the full record of my consciousness" or somthing like that). Of course, lately I have a conviction that I can affect my internal change by writing poems, as if somehow hearing the words allows me to feel in a different direction. It's interesting.

I don't notice dry spells and tsunamis, because I normally write through the dry spells, but I do notice periods of rapid growth in the quality of my poetry followed by gradual periods of what seems to be building up energy for the next revelation. Then I guess it is a tsunami, because I can't stop until I've sort of burned it off, either by writing or just by talking about it, whatever "it" is.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Though in my opinion it is always worth it :yes:
Agreed! Sacrificing sleep for writing is worth it, as long as it's not for weeks on end. Then I get a little burned out and crazy eyed.

I don't notice dry spells and tsunamis, because I normally write through the dry spells, but I do notice periods of rapid growth in the quality of my poetry followed by gradual periods of what seems to be building up energy for the next revelation. Then I guess it is a tsunami, because I can't stop until I've sort of burned it off, either by writing or just by talking about it, whatever "it" is.

Interesting. Sometimes I try to write through dry spells, but my writing is absolutely awful. Do you have any tricks to keep your mind/pen moving and get through writer's block?

Sponge

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I get like this when I'm writing my stories or coming up with ideas. Suddenly it will all hit me, and I will write everything down as quickly as I can because the energy doesn't last long and is very infrequent.

Not over poetry though, poetry sucks ;)

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a basic idea for a poem, lots of ideas for random lines throughout the thing, which I proceed to write down, then try and organise it all into something that makes sense when I'm not in my 'flow' mood.

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
Sometimes I just get sudden bursts of creative energy and I have to write. That's why most of my writing turns into poetry. I am not one for anything too lengthy.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I tend to need to express myself creatively through writing when I get stressed or emotionally overwhelmed. I think it's a type of release or escapism in that case.

Visual art I do whenever I get inspired -- see a nice piece, get a new idea, etc.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I don't believe in writer's block, BUT I do believe in burst of inspiration. ;) I get moments where I sit down and everything flows in its own poetic prose, and if it's autobiographical, chances are it'll be a poem. If it's more thought-oriented, it'll be prose. If I'm in the middle of a long-term project, I just pour it into there as best I can (because it can give the story wonderufl twists and turns and depth when I write while in that mood). I freely give up sleep for it. I just CAN'T sleep if I don't. :newwink:

Sometimes the muse whispers, and other times, she's out to lunch. But when that happens, usually you have to plow through anyway.

skawdebeast01

MBTI Type
INFP
lol, I just experienced this yesterday! I was sitting in one of my classes and then all of a sudden I just had this sudden urge to write....which is something that doesn't happen very often.

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
Do you all show your work to other people? Or is it just for you?

It's the one thing that I feel is so personal. But at the same time feel so confident about it and would show it to anybody. It's the one thing I feel incapable of caring if it is rejected. For some reason, it's like, I don't care if you like it or not, it's part of me. It's honest. It's what I was feeling at that moment and it's neither right nor wrong.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I'm not into poetry. At all. But I do write (thank you whimsical) a lot of stories, which are quite absurdistic, most of the times. Most people say I'm pretty good at it. :D

Bethedee

MBTI Type
INFJ
Sometimes I'll have work to do and I'll be up late doing it (ex: essays due next day) but I'll put my entire schedule on hold because I get a marvelous idea. I usually am kind of weak to the urge and spend my time working on the idea. I write stories alot, and sometimes I write just a few pages about a character I make up on the spot, but I don't really like to write poetry at all. I always felt embarassed reading poetry later that I had written, so eventually I just learned to save myself and stop.

I like it when other people read what I've written. I feel hurt when I give it to them to read and they're too busy to complete it in a timely manner.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Sometimes I just get sudden bursts of creative energy and I have to write. That's why most of my writing turns into poetry. I am not one for anything too lengthy.
Same here, I'm no good at long stories.
I love to "write images" and short stories though.