123 Last

Thread: poetic urges

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

Default poetic urges

Does anyone else get like this, I usually go a while where I will have no flow, no inspiration to write, and then there comes a period in time where I suddenly have the urge to write and to seek experiences which will help me develop my own ideas. It's like there is a message inside of my head that is dying to come out, but I don't know how to get it out, until I put it on paper.

Sometimes it comes on so quick that I just get in the state and I take 30 minutes by myself concentrating on words, and I can finish a quite decent piece. I write until I feel I have expressed what I have inside, and then go back to developing new ideas.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Socionics
    N/A

When I experience a significant internal change, such as an ideological transition, I immediately feel the need to express this change through poetry.

Generally speaking, the resulting poem shares many characteristics with the internal change.

Also, after I feel that my change has been sufficiently expressed, I no longer possess the extreme desire to write poetry.
    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u56/EnglerMeister/hehh.jpg

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I always think of things to write all of a sudden at inconvenient times (ie. while driving). It either ends up a lost idea, comes back to me later, or I repeat it over & over until I can get to some paper.

The middle of the night is a creative time for me too, but it's hard to do a lot because then you fall into this vampire schedule and cannot function well in the real world.

But yeah, it goes in cycles....there will be times in which i can think of nothing to write, and forcing it just produces crap (not like I'm all that brilliant to begin with :P ).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whimsical View Post
    Does anyone else get like this, I usually go a while where I will have no flow, no inspiration to write, and then there comes a period in time where I suddenly have the urge to write and to seek experiences which will help me develop my own ideas.
    This is exactly how it works for me. I have a dry spell and then a sudden tsunami of creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I always think of things to write all of a sudden at inconvenient times (ie. while driving). It either ends up a lost idea, comes back to me later, or I repeat it over & over until I can get to some paper.

The middle of the night is a creative time for me too, but it's hard to do a lot because then you fall into this vampire schedule and cannot function well in the real world.
    This is so true for me too! I try to keep a notepad by my bed to jot things down, and that helps me not fall into the "vampire schedule," as you call it. Sometimes, though, I still end up staying up all night writing when the urge strikes, much to my detriment the following morning...
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    This is so true for me too! I try to keep a notepad by my bed to jot things down, and that helps me not fall into the "vampire schedule," as you call it. Sometimes, though, I still end up staying up all night writing when the urge strikes, much to my detriment the following morning...
    I literally have a notepad sitting on the floor beside my bed filled with random pieces of my writing and have the definitely had my fair share of baggy-eyed mornings due to 'tsunmai'-like fits of writing. Though in my opinion it is always worth it

MBTI
    ENFP

Ah! Same as everyone. Especially the part about internal change:

When I experience a significant internal change, such as an ideological transition, I immediately feel the need to express this change through poetry.
    Whenever I feel something happening in my "soul" (whatever that is) I write a poem on the crest of the wave, hoping that by taking down the language that comes into my head, perhaps I'll make a record, or an artifact of the change (and thereby of myself; I think I read a poem once that talked about how "I am in possession of the full record of my consciousness" or somthing like that). Of course, lately I have a conviction that I can affect my internal change by writing poems, as if somehow hearing the words allows me to feel in a different direction. It's interesting.

I don't notice dry spells and tsunamis, because I normally write through the dry spells, but I do notice periods of rapid growth in the quality of my poetry followed by gradual periods of what seems to be building up energy for the next revelation. Then I guess it is a tsunami, because I can't stop until I've sort of burned it off, either by writing or just by talking about it, whatever "it" is.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SpottingTrains View Post
    Though in my opinion it is always worth it
    Agreed! Sacrificing sleep for writing is worth it, as long as it's not for weeks on end. Then I get a little burned out and crazy eyed.

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    I don't notice dry spells and tsunamis, because I normally write through the dry spells, but I do notice periods of rapid growth in the quality of my poetry followed by gradual periods of what seems to be building up energy for the next revelation. Then I guess it is a tsunami, because I can't stop until I've sort of burned it off, either by writing or just by talking about it, whatever "it" is.
    Interesting. Sometimes I try to write through dry spells, but my writing is absolutely awful. Do you have any tricks to keep your mind/pen moving and get through writer's block?
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I get like this when I'm writing my stories or coming up with ideas. Suddenly it will all hit me, and I will write everything down as quickly as I can because the energy doesn't last long and is very infrequent.

Not over poetry though, poetry sucks
    Yes, I would like some sponge cake.

MBTI
    INFP

I have a basic idea for a poem, lots of ideas for random lines throughout the thing, which I proceed to write down, then try and organise it all into something that makes sense when I'm not in my 'flow' mood.

MBTI
    IXXP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sometimes I just get sudden bursts of creative energy and I have to write. That's why most of my writing turns into poetry. I am not one for anything too lengthy.