User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 26

  1. #11
    Senior Member seeker22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I only respond as much as the person sends.. so if you text me all the time, you'll probably get texts back. At the same token, if someone just wants to go on weekly dates, they'll probably hear from me once a week.
    Good point on mirroring the person's contact level - I do this as well.

    However, with some *special* people I have urges to contact them more often, but don't want to upset the "balance" of what they are demonstrating.

    Then we get to the question of: who is mirroring who??! LOL! Does one person set the pace?? I never know if I'm the leader, or the responder.

    What if their minimal response is playing off my minimal response??

    Maybe the one with the higher need for personal space is always the pace setter. Damn you INTPs!

    This is where the ENFPs are at a real disadvantage as far as our natural style.

    But on the other hand - it's easy to CAPTURE our attention, tough to SUSTAIN it. Big difference.

  2. #12
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Totally depends on the other person. If they're an insanely extroverted type, too, I'm sure they don't ming hearing from me pretty soon, maybe the next day, after we meet. If not.. well, I adjust accordingly, based upon what I feel they might want.

    Quote Originally Posted by seeker22 View Post
    Good point on mirroring the person's contact level - I do this as well.

    However, with some *special* people I have urges to contact them more often, but don't want to upset the "balance" of what they are demonstrating.

    Then we get to the question of: who is mirroring who??! LOL! Does one person set the pace?? I never know if I'm the leader, or the responder.
    Yeah I definitely do this too

    But it mostly only comes up with friendships for me. As a guy, in a relationship, I just assume that I'm the one leading the charge and setting the pace. Anywhere else, I usually assume that the other party is because I know I'm most likely the one to mirror.

    Empathy feedback loops are.. amazing things..

  3. #13
    Senior Member seeker22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I don't know what is normal. I don't think there is a norm, just individual preferences or tendencies.
    Excellent distinction on the "normal" qualifier.

    I do think different types have different preferences - so yes, we should probably remove "normal" from the equation, because one type's "normal" is another type's "not normal."

  4. #14
    Senior Member seeker22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Empathy feedback loops are.. amazing things..
    omg so brilliant.

  5. #15
    Controlled Mischief StephMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Haha... my ENFP friend (actually, a guy I used to date and still sometimes hook up with from time to time) struggles with this too. In fact, he went on a date with someone monday and called me last night freaking out about it. He was like "I was trying to resist calling her.. so I called you...I HAVE to break this habit."

    So he thinks it's a habit he's gotten into but doesn't want to do... but from the way y'all are talking, I guess it's not a habit but more natural to him than he thinks? I tried to encourage him and tell him he'll get the hang of it...He only gets gung-ho with girls at the very beginning. After that, if he's still interested, he'll check in every week or so (Up until they the point they want more from him than he can give).

    Not to venture off topic, but I've tried to distance myself from him (Mostly because I'm so attracted to him and started seeing someone else that I want to give a chance to... can't help myself around him!) but even if I purposely try to avoid him, he calls me every week until we go do something. But he knows how I am about dating, and can talk very objectively about it, thus why he confides in me about other girls despite the fact we have a physical relationship. I actually appreciate his telling me all this (helps me objectify things even more). He's tried to pursue me more in the past, but I cut it off despite me liking him at the time too. Now it's just ... well... friends with benefits. So I'm curious... does the fact he's calling me about how he had fun with this other girl and is resisting trying to call her mean that he's lost that romantic interest in me completely? Or he's just accepted the fact that we're probably not going anywhere and trying to make us more friends? I'm trying to figure that out so I can finally have closure with him and be "just friends."

  6. #16
    Earth Exalted Thursday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE
    Posts
    3,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I didn't realize we had this problem. I'm just the opposite, if anything people think I'm uninterested just because I don't bombard. I only respond as much as the person sends.. so if you text me all the time, you'll probably get texts back. At the same token, if someone just wants to go on weekly dates, they'll probably hear from me once a week.
    wow - you are an ESFJ
    I N V I C T U S

  7. #17
    Senior Member seeker22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StephMC939 View Post
    He only gets gung-ho with girls at the very beginning. After that, if he's still interested, he'll check in every week or so (Up until they the point they want more from him than he can give).
    OMG. SUUUCCCHHHHH ENFP classic behavior!!!!! Exactly!

  8. #18
    Senior Member Rachelinpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    878

    Default

    I'm impatient. I like lots of contact (if I like you). All the time. I don't care if there is little space between texts and calls because I assume persistent communication is mostly due to the newness of the relationship and not actual interest in me (because after all, you don't know me yet).

    As for initiating this kind of constant contact, it depends on how I think the other person perceives me from the start and how much I think they can handle. Most people don't know I'm a crazy ENFP at first glance and are usually more understanding of my high need for communication once they get to know me. So really, I only give as much space as to keep the other person from prejudging me before they get a chance to know me. I want to help them make as fair of an assessment of me as possible without freaking them out prematurely just because I can't wait.

    Truly, I would not be happy in a relationship with someone who didn't (eventually) do well with lots of contact.

  9. #19
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    wow - you are an ESFJ
    ^_^ I think I will take this into consideration, thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelinpa View Post
    I'm impatient. I like lots of contact (if I like you). All the time. I don't care if there is little space between texts and calls because I assume persistent communication is mostly due to the newness of the relationship and not actual interest in me (because after all, you don't know me yet).

    Most people don't know I'm a crazy ENFP at first glance and are usually more understanding of my high need for communication once they get to know me.

    Truly, I would not be happy in a relationship with someone who didn't (eventually) do well with lots of contact.
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because I am the entire opposite. Constant communication from the very beginning can drive me away (can.).. I up the communication slowly as we get to know each other better (if I'm talking about a new date). In my head, if a new date contacts me more than a previous relationship of 2 years, that's a no-go.

    I don't need lots of contact, nor do I always provide it. Someone who needs constant validation does not do well at all in a relationship with me.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  10. #20
    Senior Member Rachelinpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    878

    Default

    This week I gave my number to a guy I met at a bar who I had a decent conversation with. He talks to me and texts me throughout the night, even though I was talking to his friend first (later on the friend asks for my number and I say, "Um, your other friend has it, actually" -- awkward!). The texts are all gushy and "I want to see you again" kind of texts. I don't really take much of this seriously because as far as I know he is completely drunk. Anyway, the conversation we had THAT NIGHT was about texting... his friend said when he meets a girl, he'll call her right away if he's interested... but my guy says that he likes to text the girl first to like check-in.

    ANYWAY, now a couple days later, suddenly I'm the girl. And, this punk waits close to 24 hours to text me! And... so... I text him back. And now... nothing. Why for the love of god do you claim you are texting-type person and then wait 24 hours to text?! I would just ask him myself except then I really seem psycho.

    I don't even like the guy all that much, but I am so hung up on the possibility of what COULD have been and I'm addicted to new people. AND! I don't like feeling like an option! I mean, obviously, it's his move now, right? And, let's say he does text me back... do I just delete it?

    I should have gone with his friend who would have called instead of this endless string of non-existent promised texting. Damnit.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] Do ENFPs Know the Meaning of Personal Space?
    By Kibou-chan in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 01-09-2016, 05:30 PM
  2. The Questionable Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Disease
    By Tellenbach in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2014, 05:55 AM
  3. The Real Difference Between an ISFP and an ISFJ
    By Thalassa in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 08:45 AM
  4. [ENFP] Splitting the ATOM, er, ENFP: narrowing the gap between duality
    By pyramid in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 06:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO