• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] why do I get the feeling

OregonENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I can also read people well. I'm super sensitive to the nuances of peoples moods, relationships, etc.

Sponge

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
It's been asked, but how do you know you can read people? Unless you can read their thoughts, how do you know you're not just assuming things about people based on their body language, etc?

Reading body language is something every type can learn to do very easily.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
It's been asked, but how do you know you can read people? Unless you can read their thoughts, how do you know you're not just assuming things about people based on their body language, etc?

In my case, I didn't always have proof. I was just, intuitively, pretty sure that I could do it. I had it confirmed eventually, though. By now, it's a habit to read someone and then tell them how and what they're feeling at multiple points during conversations. I'm usually right and I usually surprise people with how much I know about them, while getting a lot of "How do you know me so well"s and "you should be a psychologist some day"s.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I no longer 'feel' that I can read people exceptionally well. I 'know' it. I'm not infallible, though. I can be wrong. Reading people may be something that comes naturally to NF's, but it's hardly an exact science.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

For me, it's a lot more than body language. 'reading' people for me includes, tone of voice, facial expressions, choice of words and topics, general emotional state, who else is within earshot (family member? girlfriend?) etc...all of which is cross referenced and weighed against each other in a pretty subconscious process, although if I had to, I could basically tell you how these things fit together, for the most part. It's a hunch machine, not science.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
My INFJ brother does read people very well. It became a habit of his to analyze people and their motives. He takes great joy in good movies or novels where there is profound character development. Not knowing anything bout MBTI (even though he reads a lot of Jung's work, mostly just on human dreams and symbols), he called it logic; behind anything a person does is a motive (emotional or not), or a reason. I think he was using his Ni.

Plus I have never seen anyone that have great manipulation skills like him. The more you know people, and the more you know what makes them tick, manipulation is always in your reach. But my brother says he has his high moral values and standards, so he will never use it for anything going against his standards.