User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I can also read people well. I'm super sensitive to the nuances of peoples moods, relationships, etc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It's been asked, but how do you know you can read people? Unless you can read their thoughts, how do you know you're not just assuming things about people based on their body language, etc?

Reading body language is something every type can learn to do very easily.
    Yes, I would like some sponge cake.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
    It's been asked, but how do you know you can read people? Unless you can read their thoughts, how do you know you're not just assuming things about people based on their body language, etc?

In my case, I didn't always have proof. I was just, intuitively, pretty sure that I could do it. I had it confirmed eventually, though. By now, it's a habit to read someone and then tell them how and what they're feeling at multiple points during conversations. I'm usually right and I usually surprise people with how much I know about them, while getting a lot of "How do you know me so well"s and "you should be a psychologist some day"s.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I no longer 'feel' that I can read people exceptionally well. I 'know' it. I'm not infallible, though. I can be wrong. Reading people may be something that comes naturally to NF's, but it's hardly an exact science.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge View Post

For me, it's a lot more than body language. 'reading' people for me includes, tone of voice, facial expressions, choice of words and topics, general emotional state, who else is within earshot (family member? girlfriend?) etc...all of which is cross referenced and weighed against each other in a pretty subconscious process, although if I had to, I could basically tell you how these things fit together, for the most part. It's a hunch machine, not science.

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

My INFJ brother does read people very well. It became a habit of his to analyze people and their motives. He takes great joy in good movies or novels where there is profound character development. Not knowing anything bout MBTI (even though he reads a lot of Jung's work, mostly just on human dreams and symbols), he called it logic; behind anything a person does is a motive (emotional or not), or a reason. I think he was using his Ni.

Plus I have never seen anyone that have great manipulation skills like him. The more you know people, and the more you know what makes them tick, manipulation is always in your reach. But my brother says he has his high moral values and standards, so he will never use it for anything going against his standards.
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"