User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I'm curious to know what is it about emokids that people find so offensive?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

A mixture of unhealthy F types + getting into that group of people, then add peer pressure. You've got yourself an emo.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Indie is an extension of alternative, but it's different. It was a burgeoning scene while alternative was becoming mainstream (I know because I was there :P). In the late 90's, most Indie kids hated being grouped with emo kids and despised the idea of being emo.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm going with the stereotypical Emo kid represented perfectly in this convenient song.

Type is of no concern here. It's easy to state F types (not necessarily NFs) in this.. but I think T types are just as susceptible for entirely different reasons. Each have an unhealthy way of coping with emotion.. Different paths to the same destination.

I say unhealthy because I think anyone that clings to sadness and oppression like it's any sort of medication for life is unhealthy in their head. These types hate any sort of role model/influence/anythingorone trying to tell them how they 'should be'. They cling to the lifestyle and looks of what isn't considered the norm as a comfort, and want to think of themselves as individuals while being in a support group of sorts (Paradoxical, because if you're an individual you don't have a group, and if you're part of the group, you can't be very individualistic. Not in the extreme senses of the words). Surrounding yourself with people that are just as unhealthy as you are to validate your unhealthy behavior and actions is not a good thing either.

This is why there's a lot of negative stigma on them. They don't desire to discover they've got it just fine in life. They take comfort in pain and dislike to be lifted up away from it. Much the way someone clings to drugs, these people cling to negative emotions for support.

My answer to this thread: The Unhealthy type is the type that's most susceptible to Emo.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

[QUOTE=kyuuei;624416]I'm going with the stereotypical Emo kid represented perfectly in this convenient song.

Type is of no concern here. It's easy to state F types (not necessarily NFs) in this.. but I think T types are just as susceptible for entirely different reasons. Each have an unhealthy way of coping with emotion.. Different paths to the same destination.

I say unhealthy because I think anyone that clings to sadness and oppression like it's any sort of medication for life is unhealthy in their head.
    Sadness is beautiful, inspiring and has good reason to exist, like most emotions I (note: I'm not an Emo, just putting myself in their shoes for a sec) embrace it. Since I have discovered mbti I have come to realise just how much I experience of the world is emotional in nature, it is soothing to embrace emotions, even "negative" ones. I feel to embrace them and feel them fully is healthier than to put them in a bottle and pretend they don't exist.

These types hate any sort of role model/influence/anythingorone trying to tell them how they 'should be'.
    Good for them, "shoulds" are for SJs. Why should anyone feel a desire to control them?

They cling to the lifestyle and looks of what isn't considered the norm as a comfort, and want to think of themselves as individuals while being in a support group of sorts (Paradoxical, because if you're an individual you don't have a group, and if you're part of the group, you can't be very individualistic. Not in the extreme senses of the words).
    Good for them, if we were all the same and if everyone stuck to the "norm" the world would be a very boring place. Why would we be using extreme sense of words?

Surrounding yourself with people that are just as unhealthy as you are to validate your unhealthy behavior and actions is not a good thing either.
    Like attracts like, there is very little anyone can do about that.

This is why there's a lot of negative stigma on them. They don't desire to discover they've got it just fine in life.
    Do they think life is bad for them? I've never really talked to one.

They take comfort in pain and dislike to be lifted up away from it. Much the way someone clings to drugs, these people cling to negative emotions for support.
    Like an addiction? How do you define the line between embracing and recognising "negative" emotion and an addiction? If you mean physical harm I see that as a seperate issue.

My answer to this thread: The Unhealthy type is the type that's most susceptible to Emo.
    This just seems a little biased for some reason. A lot of these kids will grow up to be regular healthy people and will look back on photos and laugh at their silly haircuts, like most adults.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I tend to think that "emo" kids catch an unfair amount of hate. I mean, they're not more obnoxious than any other kiddy subgroup, and at least they value sensitivity and expressive art creation (as opposed to drug use or other destructive behaviors). Even if it's immature and only done in the spirit of conforming to their group. They are usually well-behaved and easy to manage. Plus, I often find that those who are most vehemently "anti-emo" are the ones that I find most obnoxious (like the idiot football player in my class that shows up 1/3 of the time...and yes, he may be a stereotype, but he exists, and he is more than ready to rant and rave about how "gay" emo kids are).

I agree, though, that any self-destructive behavior is not healthy and should be discouraged. But most of these kids (at least that I have come across) don't show signs of actually wishing to harm themselves. The majority just tend to be bandwagoners.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I know an INTJ emo dude. Well, he's not emo now, but he was one for about 3 years or so. It was interesting to play chess with him as he wore black magic marker painted finger nails and multicolored bracelets. Now he wishes he could forget he was part of that fad.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I knew an INTJ emo kid too! People were scared of him, but he was actually pretty cool if you took the time to talk to him. I don't think he still is.

The last emo kid I ever talked to was some SP then I graduated high school.

Not to many emos in college.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

That's cool. I had a feeling INTJ's made up a small fraction of them. Yeah, it seems like SP's dominate the scene. Being an NF I knew who the fakers are, stop pretending you guys lol.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think they're more likely to be INxPs. I suppose an INFJ can be Emo, but I don't think that's quite as likely. I tend to be more isolated and paranoid than depressed and misunderstood.