• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] What's the difference between ENFJ and INFJ?

G

Glycerine

Maybe, but not everyone seems to think the ENFJ stare is unnerving. In fact, most ppl think ENFJs are hitting on them. :rolli:

haha, I have had that happen to me. I try to avoid looking at people for too long because of this. Unnerving if there are two ENFJs doing the stare-off. Example 1: I was staring at the board for the longest time,I could feel his stare on me, I started laughing, he started laughing, I turn to him and he makes some comment about the board. Example: I was staring at something and he came in my direction and was staring at me so I just turned my gaze away. There was a sense of paranoia going on.

Afkan

haha, I have had that happen to me. I try to avoid looking at people for too long because of this. Unnerving if there are two ENFJs doing the stare-off. Example 1: I was staring at the board for the longest time,I could feel his stare on me, I started laughing, he started laughing, I turn to him and he makes some comment about the board. Example: I was staring at something and he came in my direction and was staring at me so I just turned my gaze away. There was a sense of paranoia going on.

Paranoia? Sounds like you two were in LOVE.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, guys, my sister calls my stare "Snoopy vulture". hahaha!

snoopy-vulture1.jpg

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Snoopy Vulture ENFJs, ftw!!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
good question. NFs tend to score low on E/I. especially as they get older. the idealist temperaments share a number of introverted talents (introspection, intrapersonal intelligence, independent thinking, vivid imagination, creative, free spirited nature, philosophical bent) as well as a number of extraverted talents (public speaking, interpersonal intelligence and relating to people, personal problem solving). I'm an ENFP and I score very low on E because I take a lot of time to sort things out in my brain (Ne works by gathering information, making connections, and then getting really excited and wanting to tell everyone, this gets annoying at school because I feel the urge to tell all the connections I make that the teacher does not address, even in class that I think are boring is hell. it's almost like an instinct or something and I have to be careful to keep my mouth shut or I can talk for like 10 hours straight).... anyway I digress, introversion/extraversion does tend to decrease with age, but more so for NFs than other types (the time when mbti type is most obvious is in the teen years when the 3rd and 4th functions are fully developed)
an INFJ with a strong Fe (for instance, a revolutionary leader like Martin Luther King) is probably going to score very low on introversion. likewise, an ENFJ who is an author will probably score low extroversion.
I think the main difference is that ENFJs will tend to get more excited. they love to be constantly talking and connecting with people where an INFJ will be more serious and up in their head, having a few VERY close friends (this is common NF trait though, we tend to be extremely picky about our friends and would rather have 2-5 close friends that we can really bond with). INFJs tend to fall into the tragic hero role and feel like they have to put everything on their shoulders and be Prometheus for everyone (this kind of annoys me, ISFJs and ISTJs do it too and ENFJs do it a little bit)

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
I really value that INFJ trait of thinking something over before I speak (because I dunno about you other INFJs but there are some really crazy, inappropriate things that float into my head on a regular basis that are not meant for public consumption!).

LOL. I know exactly what you're talking about, happens to me a lot too. It's that damn introverted intuition!

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne works by gathering information, making connections, and then getting really excited and wanting to tell everyone, this gets annoying at school because I feel the urge to tell all the connections I make that the teacher does not address, even in class that I think are boring is hell. it's almost like an instinct or something and I have to be careful to keep my mouth shut or I can talk for like 10 hours straight

this is ot, but it resonated enough to draw attn to it. the key is to find Ni dom to share these things with. the balance is perfect and both people end up being so engrossed in the conversation. Ni works to slow down better integrate develop concentrate etc, Ne works to expand and look outward and grab concrete material to MAKE real examples.

Tikka

MBTI Type
INFJ
As an ENFJ, I often see things about people - good things, mostly - and blurt out a compliment about it. Sometimes this has been seen as toady or bootlickery, while *I swear* I was just excited by what I saw and wanted to mention it.

I believe many people are too sceptical to accept that ENFJs are like this, because a negative form of this behaviour is often used to 'buy' affection of someone. Hell, whenever I meet another ENFJ I don't trust him/her either, as he/she's just too much to be real. Until I realize I'm the same way. ;)

But anyway, when I'm tired, I can just shut up for hours in a group and I really feel like an INFJ then. But from reading descriptions, ENFJ is my best match.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
enfjs certainly can be extremely giving and generous and harmonizing when they feel good and want to contribute to others, make them feel better, etc. people get off-put bc they see how, tho like everyone else, this skill is contingent upon feeling like one's own needs are met, and that it seems like they are just trying to get something for their own gain/benefit. the fact that their welfare is connected to how others see them, and that they need positivity both around them and directed toward them, is what motivates their need to harmonize (and in a way that is more direct and far more directive). this is altered depending upon the specific enneagram defense strategy employed, ie 4w5 have different needs and different ways of relating and motivating their action/behaviour than 2w1s or 3w2s.

infjs are far more hesitant than enfjs when it comes to harmonizing. they consider the implications of their actions far more and far more critically, tho depending on their needs they may be just as self-understanding-focused (4), perhaps more expertise-focused (5), or more out-of-touch with their own needs/desires (9). infjs are still directive but they often pick their battles more and are far more reserved creatures. they spend more time organizing their own perceptions rather than creating objectives in the environment. this makes them feel far less pushy than enfjs sometimes do, instead sometimes falling prey to the horrors of 100% rigidity.

G

Glycerine

As an ENFJ, I often see things about people - good things, mostly - and blurt out a compliment about it. Sometimes this has been seen as toady or bootlickery, while *I swear* I was just excited by what I saw and wanted to mention it.

I believe many people are too sceptical to accept that ENFJs are like this, because a negative form of this behaviour is often used to 'buy' affection of someone. Hell, whenever I meet another ENFJ I don't trust him/her either, as he/she's just too much to be real. Until I realize I'm the same way. ;)
match.
I swear this is what it felt like whenever I was around my male ENFJ teacher. It seemed like it was flirting but, no, we just really liked to compliment. At first, I was really skeptical of and intimidated by him because he seemed too good to be real and he thought I was kind of sucking up to him (which I really wasn't).

@ bold, that's absolutely disgusting. :sick:

enfjs certainly can be extremely giving and generous and harmonizing when they feel good and want to contribute to others, make them feel better, etc. people get off-put bc they see how, tho like everyone else, this skill is contingent upon feeling like one's own needs are met, and that it seems like they are just trying to get something for their own gain/benefit. the fact that their welfare is connected to how others see them, and that they need positivity both around them and directed toward them, is what motivates their need to harmonize (and in a way that is more direct and far more directive). this is altered depending upon the specific enneagram defense strategy employed, ie 4w5 have different needs and different ways of relating and motivating their action/behaviour than 2w1s or 3w2s.
:yes: Fe-doms can get extremely selfish if their needs don't get met. I always chalked this up to relying too much on Fe and then trying to balance out by going to the extreme opposite end (Fi). For me, personally, I tend to go to the extremes if I don't watch out. This may be why some Fe-doms think Fi-doms are selfish.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think ENFJs are definitely a lot more people-oriented. Being extroverts, of course, this is natural. They're faster-talking and have overall better skills with influencing people, both in good and bad ways. However, from my personal experience, it has been mostly in good ways, since they are teachers by nature.

INFJs seem to often act like ENFJs when they're happy, but they can't maintain this all that well. ENFJs are able to be like this all the time, which is very valuable for them socially.

One more left-brained way of looking at it is by saying, is this person relating to the world predominantly more through Ni or Fe? If they give any signs of living mainly in a world of intuition, they're probably an INFJ. If they seem to just put everything out there right off without thinking it through as much first, they're probably ENFJs.

Lastly, I'd just like to say, I love ENFJs :hug:

Tikka

MBTI Type
INFJ
What you also often read in ENFJ descriptions, is the chameleon-effect. ENFJs are very apt in picking up vibes from the other person and adjusting their own wavelengths to accommodate the conversation or situation.

Often I find myself very quickly in a deep conversation with a total stranger, just by asking the right questions in the right way. Note that I write 'asking', as I really don't like to talk about myself - another ENFJ trait. ;)

Anyhow, I just wanted to state that Fe does not work with all people. I must be on my guard with NT's and ST's, as they are least likely to appreciate the strong Fe that ENFJs emit. Harmonizing with these people does not work, and I need to deliberately unharmonize situations (read: not agreeing with them every time) to have a good relationship with them.

Sounds stupid, but I had my share of clashes with NTs. :D

I swear this is what it felt like whenever I was around my male ENFJ teacher. It seemed like it was flirting but, no, we just really liked to compliment. At first, I was really skeptical of and intimidated by him because he seemed too good to be real and he thought I was kind of sucking up to him (which I really wasn't).

I can understand that.

As a male, I think being a non-Latino ENFJ male ;) puts you in a disadvantage when flirting for real, because overloading a girl with compliments is a gut feeling for us to do, but as you all know it never works in the field. Unless you're a suave Latino, holmes. :jew:

Fe-doms can get extremely selfish if their needs don't get met.

Quite! This is such a recognise-fest.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFJs try to manipulate by emoting good feelings, in an attempt of getting you to align with their views using these feel-good attempts to walk you down their garden path of whatever it is they want you to do or agree with.

The only close comparison of these two types is their letters being one-off.

Otherwise, INFJs motivate others on a deep level using signals and understanding the other's direction.

Both flip out if they are pressured. Ironically, tho, the INFJ will cut to honestly describe what they perceive is goin on.

An ENFJ if pressured, will just throw useless crap at others out of feeling in an attempt at sounding rational. IOW nothing based in logic. The INFJ will see the logic once they calm down and have had time to think about personal interactions.

The ENFJs will generally still hold stubbornly to their same emotional beliefs-still nothing based in logic. :)

G

Glycerine

ENFJs try to manipulate by emoting good feelings, in an attempt of getting you to align with their views using these feel-good attempts to walk you down their garden path of whatever it is they want you to do or agree with.

The only close comparison of these two types is their letters being one-off.

Otherwise, INFJs motivate others on a deep level using signals and understanding the other's direction.

Both flip out if they are pressured. Ironically, tho, the INFJ will cut to honestly describe what they perceive is goin on.

An ENFJ if pressured, will just throw useless crap at others out of feeling. IOW nothing based in logic. The INFJ will see the logic once they calm down and have had time to think about personal interactions.

The ENFJs will generally still hold stubbornly to their same emotional beliefs-still nothing based in logic. :)

huh? This is the type of thing that makes me think I'm not an ENFJ. I have been known to be fairly critical and blunt if someone pushes me enough.

What do you mean about the bold? What emotional beliefs? :huh: We aren't the only ones that get stuck in their own paradigm. ;) Everyone does.

Tikka

MBTI Type
INFJ

You're awesome. I love you! :hug::cheese:

Are you one of those NTs who confuse rationality with logic and/or intelligence? ;)

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
huh? This is the type of thing that makes me think I'm not an ENFJ. I have been known to be fairly critical and blunt if someone pushes me enough.

What do you mean about the bold? What emotional beliefs? :huh: We aren't the only ones that get stuck in their own paradigm. ;) Everyone does.

See Post #76.

Sad Lounge

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
?
I'm in between, just like Pitseleh. I'm normally an ENFJ, but once I lose my energy, I become an INFJ. I might just be an Extroverted INFJ.

The difference, by the way, is the importance of other people. ENFJs care so much about other people, they sometimes forget to care for themselves. INFJs like other people, but they feel like other people should respect them. They don't let others get in the way of what they want to do, at least not to the same degree as ENFJs. I could be wrong.

In social situations or things that require working in a group, I'm ENFJ. If it's just work that I need to do alone, I'm INFJ. I have an INFJ's work ethic with an ENFJ's social skills and abililty to motivate people.