• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] What's the difference between ENFJ and INFJ?

G

Glycerine

Like behaviorally? Mannerisms? How can you tell if someone is a shy ENFJ or an outgoing INFJ?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me and Pink gotta hang IRL and compare notes. Then get back to ya.

:D

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
ENFJ's = bigger smiles and larger repitoire of facial expression. Also, we talk with our hands and our behavior is generally the one that all public speakers try to emulate when they give speeches.

INFJ's are adorable and have a warm but non-invasive set of physical expressions. They're also not quite as fantastical as ENFJ's. Somewhat less influenced by what others think of things as well, sometimes to the point of being annoying.

G

Glycerine

ENFJ's = bigger smiles and larger repitoire of facial expression. Also, we talk with our hands and our behavior is generally the one that all public speakers try to emulate when they give speeches.

INFJ's are adorable and have a warm but non-invasive set of physical expressions. They're also not quite as fantastical as ENFJ's. Somewhat less influenced by what others think of things as well, sometimes to the point of being annoying.
hmmmmmm.... i think am in between an INFJ and ENFJ. lol

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
hmmmmmm.... i think am in between an INFJ and ENFJ. lol

I've wondered the same thing at different points but if you read through the old posts here there is quite a big difference between the INFJ and ENFJ.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Like behaviorally? Mannerisms? How can you tell if someone is a shy ENFJ or an outgoing INFJ?

You know what, I'm pretty sure that most of the time, if both types are comfortable, you won't really be able to tell the difference if they're talking.

Mannerisms and behaviours may be indicative of type, sometimes, but more often than not, there are way too many variables in what causes behaviour and mannerisms to tell the difference.

If you could get inside their heads, you might be able to tell the difference. Or you could ask them outright.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
our behavior is generally the one that all public speakers try to emulate when they give speeches.

Yes, I'd agree with this. I've known one ENFJ pretty well, and he always struck me in how he talked about stuff - inflection, words, etc - as one of those "Life Coaches". Gave off quite the aura of *proactive* mentor, helper, observer/commentator, and listener. I also observed an older ENFJ in his professional role as a...well, as a life coach/public speaker for corporations. He sort of reminded me of a relationship/marriage counselor. Very charismatic, but also organized, clear, and insightful. And it seemed 100% 'real' - i.e. that WAS his personality. Unlike many public speakers who are trying to play that role but you can tell it's not natural and is more of a facade.

I think ENFJ's put themselves out there a lot more...by choice. I think them being more proactive about their engagements and talking through things, engaging with others, and really wanting to help people is a lot more evident. INFJ's might appear to be like that in some social interactions (on the surface), but I think if they were side by side with an ENFJ the difference would be apparent. ENFJ would be a lot more 'natural' at it. With INFJ, it's more out of the immediate comfort zone (obviously..Fe is secondary). Also in general I think INFJ just distances themselves more, and aren't as proactive about engaging others. And, more closed off, maybe, in terms of sharing things (at least could appear that way) and wanting to help. INFJ's, from what I've gathered, have more boundaries from the get-go, and it isn't as hard for them to maintain them...whereas that's something ENFJ's tend to learn as they grow older, and might have more difficulty with.

But how to tell a shy ENFJ from an outgoing INFJ? Honestly what would the difference really be? That would just mean the shy ENFJ doesn't utilize Fe as much, so perhaps has a stronger Ni than most ENFJ's, and it would mean the INFJ has a strong Fe and/or strong other extroverted functions, and doesn't fall into the Ni hole as much. It would equate to pretty much the same thing. I think it's one example of why mbti isn't super relevant (in terms of identifying with one and only one type) for those who might not have strong preferences.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But how to tell a shy ENFJ from an outgoing INFJ? Honestly what would the difference really be? That would just mean the shy ENFJ doesn't utilize Fe as much, so perhaps has a stronger Ni than most ENFJ's, and it would mean the INFJ has a strong Fe and/or strong other extroverted functions, and doesn't fall into the Ni hole as much. It would equate to pretty much the same thing. I think it's one example of why mbti isn't super relevant (in terms of identifying with one and only one type) for those who might not have strong preferences.

in terms of socializing, agreed 100%. i'd say the only other variable is to try to get a sense of Ti. we introvert more bc we use Ti more. Ti information is more assertive in organizing our big picture Ni sense, our introversion allows us to distance ourselves more from the environment emotionally AND energetically, etc.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Think of Fe dominant vs. Ni dominant. ENFJs are focused on the values and needs of people, first and foremost. They know how to work well with people and how to adapt to fit differing environments by incorporating their Ni. INFJs are focused on their inner world; their ideals and the future, first and foremost. They apply their Ni to people and relationships.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
ENFJ vs. INFJ - What are the differences?

I have a couple of people that I think may be ENFJs but I am not sure. They seem very underrepresented on this board. I've noticed that people seem to either love or hate most of the types of EXXJ - they have more to say about them than many of those types seem to say about themselves.

So...come out of hiding and tell me what makes you different from us INFJs. Or, if you know someone who is an ENFJ, help me out.

G

garbage

I think I'm one, now. But since I have about a day's worth of experience as ENFJ :)cheese:), and since I don't know any INFJs, I'm not sure how to answer. A good friend of mine is ENFJ, and my sister borders on it as EsFJ, though.

It seems that, overall, there's more of a difference between ExxP/IxxP types than ExxJ/IxxJ types aside from the introversion/extroversion difference. I've noticed a huge difference between ENFPs and INFPs as far as approach to the world, for example, but not so much between ENTJs and INTJs. This perception is purely observational and bound to change, though.

Could we start with how INFJs might describe themselves? That might give us a way to identify differences between the types..