• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] What's the difference between ENFJ and INFJ?

Tikka

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm in between, just like Pitseleh. I'm normally an ENFJ, but once I lose my energy, I become an INFJ. I might just be an Extroverted INFJ.

The difference, by the way, is the importance of other people. ENFJs care so much about other people, they sometimes forget to care for themselves. INFJs like other people, but they feel like other people should respect them. They don't let others get in the way of what they want to do, at least not to the same degree as ENFJs. I could be wrong.

In social situations or things that require working in a group, I'm ENFJ. If it's just work that I need to do alone, I'm INFJ. I have an INFJ's work ethic with an ENFJ's social skills and abililty to motivate people.

Yep, sounds like me as well. :blush:

I actually can't believe how much energy ENFJs or E's have in general. I need silence once in a while but those people go on and on and on like a Duracell rabbit.

G

Glycerine

Yep, sounds like me as well. :blush:

I actually can't believe how much energy ENFJs or E's have in general. I need silence once in a while but those people go on and on and on like a Duracell rabbit.
Do you mean you like consistent stream of external stimulation but not huge, loud crowds? ENXX's are least extroverted out of the extroverts. IMO, 1. ENTP, 2. and 3. tied ENFJ/ENFP 4. ENTJ

G

Glycerine

I'm in between, just like Pitseleh. I'm normally an ENFJ, but once I lose my energy, I become an INFJ. I might just be an Extroverted INFJ.

The difference, by the way, is the importance of other people. ENFJs care so much about other people, they sometimes forget to care for themselves. INFJs like other people, but they feel like other people should respect them. They don't let others get in the way of what they want to do, at least not to the same degree as ENFJs. I could be wrong.

In social situations or things that require working in a group, I'm ENFJ. If it's just work that I need to do alone, I'm INFJ. I have an INFJ's work ethic with an ENFJ's social skills and abililty to motivate people.
Many ENFJs think that they are introverts but most of the people around them go, "huh, what drugs are you on? You're rather deluded." I don't really have the greatest social skills (that's why I thought I was INFJ) but I always have to be saying something... I can't keep quiet for an entire class period (50 minutes). Some idea always comes to mind relating to what another person is saying. That was the final deciding factor.

However, there are different types of ENFJs, IMO. 1. the very social charismatic type (Fe) 2. The very cerebral, analytical type (Ni) but Fe still wins out in the end. 3. a mixture of 1 and 2.

I am more type 2.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
One of the biggest differences I find is my constant need to be surrounded by people compared to an INFJ I know.

If I'm alone I get:

1. Bored
2. Tired
3. Worrisome
4. Apathetic

It's just physically and mentally taxing to be by myself for an extended period of time. I need the constant refueling by the people around me.

Tikka

MBTI Type
INFJ
Many ENFJs think that they are introverts but most of the people around them go, "huh, what drugs are you on? You're rather deluded." I don't really have the greatest social skills (that's why I thought I was INFJ) but I always have to be saying something... I can't keep quiet for an entire class period (50 minutes). Some idea always comes to mind relating to what another person is saying. That was the final deciding factor.

However, there are different types of ENFJs, IMO. 1. the very social charismatic type (Fe) 2. The very cerebral, analytical type (Ni) but Fe still wins out in the end. 3. a mixture of 1 and 2.

I am more type 2.

Oh, I can shut my mouth very well during class. Actually, during an entire day as well. I like listening to other people, only speaking to get to know something from them, getting to know them.

I do know how to rally people for a common cause, though. That's when the E kicks in.

One of the biggest differences I find is my constant need to be surrounded by people compared to an INFJ I know.

If I'm alone I get:

1. Bored
2. Tired
3. Worrisome
4. Apathetic

It's just physically and mentally taxing to be by myself for an extended period of time. I need the constant refueling by the people around me.

When I'm alone too long, I go into daydream mode interacting with other people in situations in the past or in the future. Usually it has negative outcomes. :shock:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

e2s care about helping people to the point of ignoring their own needs. it's not specifically an enfj thing. many enfjs are very aggressive (3s), or self-focused (4s). there are probably some other variations too, 9s maybe? 1s?

enfjs who are 4s would need more time than other enfj types bc they would be more focused on their own interior and the inner workings of their own self-identity and subjective experiences. 2s and 3s would be more focused externally on the environment.

G

Glycerine

I like listening to other people, only speaking to get to know something from them, getting to know them..

I can relate to this also. I'll mostly talk to expand upon/ to get clarity on an idea (or a piece of information) to further my understanding or if no one else is really interacting w/ the teacher. Another thing to note is that ENFJs may talk a lot but it's usually not about anything personal (unless they are in bad place in their life or are w/ their confidant). For example, most people don't know squat about my family. lol

Tikka

MBTI Type
INFJ
I can relate to this also. I'll mostly talk to expand upon/ to get clarity on an idea (or a piece of information) to further my understanding or if no one else is really interacting w/ the teacher. Another thing to note is that ENFJs may talk a lot but it's usually not about anything personal (unless they are in bad place in their life or are w/ their confidant). For example, most people don't know squat about my family. lol

I have an ENFP friend (Maybe ESFP) with whom I dance salsa, and we often go for a wine/beer afterwards. She talks and talks and talks about her problems or life (she's a tad hypochondriac so that makes nice stories :cheese: ) and I just listen. And I ask questions to move her story forward. I love it.

Usually she will end her story after half an hour with: 'So yeah, um, how about you?' Then I just give a non descript answer about myself, ask another question, rinse and repeat the above. Definitely complementing each other. :wubbie: :jew:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many ENFJs think that they are introverts but most of the people around them go, "huh, what drugs are you on? You're rather deluded."

Several ENFJs I know are like that. In fact, I probably only know 2 who'd cop to be outgoing. The rest seem so enamored with introversion that they deny how inherently social they are. One tests INFP, and I'm convinced that it's because he just likes the way INFPs sound. From my perspective, these people are total Fe-dom and needs tons of interaction with people or they do the whole ENFJ brooding bit.

G

Glycerine

Several ENFJs I know are like that. In fact, I probably only know 2 who'd cop to be outgoing. The rest seem so enamored with introversion that they deny how inherently social they are. One tests INFP, and I'm convinced that it's because he just likes the way INFPs sound. From my perspective, these people are total Fe-dom and needs tons of interaction with people or they do the whole ENFJ brooding bit.
:doh: I don't consider myself outgoing but people IRL say that I am and I consistently test as INFP. LOL

Nyx

I am more type 2.

Hah, that sounds familiar.

I was not aware there were cerebral ENFJs?

In school teachers always noted my enthusiasm in class. That was actually my strongest point in school. I was always trying to shape discussions in class.

I am still not sure which type I am. I vacillate between both. Right now I am in a decidedly INFJ, but the more I isolate myself the more unhappy I become. It's like I'm purposely causing my own ruin. Do NFJs like to shoot themselves in the foot?

weakshadeofblue

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm an INFJ and one of my very close friends is an ENFJ, and there is a BIG noticeable difference. While we both are friendly and can appear outgoing (people think I'm an extrovert - but I'm so not), we both will talk with our hands and with enthusiasm... but she is like WAYYYY off the spectrum in those areas compared to me.

Also, she is a 100% noticeable performing type. She loves being the center of attention. I.E., I used her as an interviewee when I was filming a news package for school. As I was setting up the camera and my group members (who she had never met before) were getting equipment ready, she is playfully dancing in front of the camera, striking poses, singing, etc. LOL

She's a hairstylist, and totally loves being able to listen to people and "coach" them (similar to how someone else said the ENFJs he met were life coaches). She is excellent at that. She gets depressed if she has too much alone time and is ALWAYS on the go.
I get depressed/stressed when I have to DO too many THINGS or go to too many functions. Afterwards, I curl up into my shell and hang out with no one :p.

She is focused on people, people, people, people, people.
I enjoy ideas, reading, thinking-type things (not that I don't enjoy people, but I don't seek it out nearly as much, I enjoy time to myself thinking, writing, reading, etc.).

Nyx

I'm an INFJ and one of my very close friends is an ENFJ, and there is a BIG noticeable difference. While we both are friendly and can appear outgoing (people think I'm an extrovert - but I'm so not), we both will talk with our hands and with enthusiasm... but she is like WAYYYY off the spectrum in those areas compared to me.

Also, she is a 100% noticeable performing type. She loves being the center of attention. I.E., I used her as an interviewee when I was filming a news package for school. As I was setting up the camera and my group members (who she had never met before) were getting equipment ready, she is playfully dancing in front of the camera, striking poses, singing, etc. LOL

She's a hairstylist, and totally loves being able to listen to people and "coach" them (similar to how someone else said the ENFJs he met were life coaches). She is excellent at that. She gets depressed if she has too much alone time and is ALWAYS on the go.
I get depressed/stressed when I have to DO too many THINGS or go to too many functions. Afterwards, I curl up into my shell and hang out with no one :p.

She is focused on people, people, people, people, people.
I enjoy ideas, reading, thinking-type things (not that I don't enjoy people, but I don't seek it out nearly as much, I enjoy time to myself thinking, writing, reading, etc.).

Well, I am sure there are variations with ENFJs. I know one guy who is an ENFJ and he is charming, but fairly quiet. He is definitely an extrovert, but he is also quiet and analytical.

weakshadeofblue

MBTI Type
INFJ
True. My friend scored like, 2000% in the 'E' category, lol. I'm sure people who score a smaller percentage are quieter. Not all E's are loud and crazy, just like not all I's are shy and asocial :p.

My friend is just a good example of what stark differences there can be (and still many similarities).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In school teachers always noted my enthusiasm in class. That was actually my strongest point in school. I was always trying to shape discussions in class.

I am still not sure which type I am. I vacillate between both. Right now I am in a decidedly INFJ, but the more I isolate myself the more unhappy I become. It's like I'm purposely causing my own ruin. Do NFJs like to shoot themselves in the foot?

enfj is in-charge and infj is chart-the-course. they both want to direct discussion and activity, enfj will be more aggressive tho.

infjs often counterproductively withdraw. especially 4s and 5s. i have done it to my own detriment most my life.

enfjs withdraw and immediately recognize how awful and destructive it is bc they are so far out of touch with their own Ji needs. Ti is their inferior function, they don't know how to get back on track and figure themselves out very well. they have spent all their time figuring out how to nudge others. various types are better or worse, 4s struggle the most, 2w1 is pretty exhausting too bc enough is never enough.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx

That's so funny :D. And so true.
I have a friend who I am convinced is not an INFP, but whenever he tests he gets INFP and he claims to really connect with the INFP portrait, which are usually inaccurate. To be honest, he actually has no conception of Ne. He'll listen to me and laugh at all the (sometimes) outlandish things I have to say and my thoughts and ideas, but it's not because he can relate or even understand what I'm talking about. It's mostly just his looking into mind but not relating to any of it.

I'm pretty sure he's IsFP or maybe Fe-dom, but he's not by any means an INFP. He's also emotionally immature, so when he takes the test he takes it as an "angsty teenager," hence he thinks he's different and special and no one understands him (booh hoo hoo), but he's really just projecting the way he sees himself onto the testinstead of how he actually is. I want to scream at him, "Just because you enjoy reading on occasion or have an 'imagination'" (uh who doesn't) "that it makes you an N. But it doesn't!" Annoying :dry:.

Anyway. The E/I distinction can be hard to decipher.
I think introverts have to recharge after being around people for hours. If I have a very stimulating day (running errands, class, working out, grocery store, etc.) it takes me a while to recover. When the fair comes to our town every year and I go to take pictures for my blog, for example, it takes me a day or two to recover from that.
But this doesn't mean that Es don't need time alone or time to reflect. Es do that, too, but they also enjoy, and sometimes even need, to interact with people. It seems like I spend most of my time explaining to my friends why I can't do something with them or go out with them on a particular day. I have to do one thing on one day and schedule everything else around it. It's really a hassle. I'm not really sure why everyone would want to be plagued with introversion.