• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] infp & estp... does it work?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hypothetical? All these "can x type and y type work" threads are about implementation...

If we're talking about averages, that's one thing. But when we're taking specific people and generalizing them into types, we lose tons of data. If you're talking about two people, talk about the two people, not some archetypes that approximate them.
I understand and am willing to comply. What else should I say?
What is that?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On a friendship level, most definitely yes.

The only problem is that I tend to be wary around them, and they in turn don't necessarily notice the quiet INFP. But the times it has worked, it has worked great!

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
On a friendship level, most definitely yes.

The only problem is that I tend to be wary around them, and they in turn don't necessarily notice the quiet INFP. But the times it has worked, it has worked great!
Have you noticed how they eat metaphors up like a kid alone with a bag of marshmallows?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hadn't noticed... but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true. I'll have to look for that in the future.

I will say that even though they tend to do 90% of the talking, they tend to be very interested in the 10% I contribute to the conversation. :D

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If you already know that a person is of said type, try to remember their writing with writings that you know belong to ESTPs. Those uneducated ones, from what I've read, tend to mix up comma and semi-colon functions when they don't want to end an incomplete thought with a period.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
ESTP's would be least compatible with me, and I can't ever see myself with one...ever!

But it's nothing against ESTP's- I'm sure they wouldn't want me either..

But that's all general- individuals are more important than types- so don't judge it by types.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTPs are stereotypical conmen and exploit everyone they come in contact with. My father is an ESTP, so I am intimately-familiar with how they work. I have no clue how my mother endures it, except that she's a total pushover.

I call bullshit on this statement. I am ESTP, off the scales in all scores, and I am anything but a con man. Could I con someone if I wanted to? Probably, but I have never chosen to. I, like many other ESTPs, are social, good natured, and very fond of helping people.

Do you agree with all the stereotypes associated with your MBTI type from all the various sources? If not then you have to give ESTPs, and all other MBTIs the same benefit of the doubt. :yes:

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
No. My INFP brother dated a female ESTP (who is now a good friend of mine, consequently) and it was horrendous. He wanted something more from the relationship and she was too independent.

And as for conning people, this ESTP would never do that. She is a childcare provider at a preschool, for crying out loud. Who is she going to con there? Three-year-olds? No, she's very much in-the-moment, very social, very independent, but not a con.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
And as for conning people, this ESTP would never do that. She is a childcare provider at a preschool, for crying out loud. Who is she going to con there? Three-year-olds? No, she's very much in-the-moment, very social, very independent, but not a con.

I take it you don't follow politics. Rod Blagojevich, the White House staff...

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Any ST and NF pairing sounds like the makings for a reality show! Toss in that P for a little added fun and a loaded gun in a case labeled "in case of emergency break glass and swallow 60 grains of lead"...

STs should stick to their own kind meaning other STs or just wait until robots get a little more life like in appearance...

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm going to be really confusing and defy all the other posts...

GO for it. You won't know until you try, and if you don't do it, you'll always just be wondering, what if? Just be aware that it might not work out, and that's okay too. You know what you MAY be in for and so just keep that in mind!! Follow your heart.

Ha! That's the spirit ShortNSweet! Throw caution to the wind; it's the only way to live! :D

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmm. that depends. estps at their best can be charming and funny with a touch of prick (James Bond) or total pricks that do whatever they feel like, no matter who they hurt (stereotypical jock). if you have a strong Ne and light hearted sense of humor, you should be fine as long as you are assertive if he does anything hurtful. as long as nothing goes wrong, most SPs can take you on a fun ride if you let them. I'd end the relationship though if you feel uncomfortable or hurt. definitely worth a shot though ;D

modiane

I am an INFP and I am with an ESTP. It's been a LONG, HARD relationship. He has manipulated me and I have stuck with him. I do feel it's worth it. I've learned a lot from him and he from me. It works. We argue ALL THE TIME! But, we've realized we're 2 spirited individuals who are very passionate and so arguing is just part of our normal banter. We try really, really hard, but we make it work.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am an INFP and I am with an ESTP. It's been a LONG, HARD relationship. He has manipulated me and I have stuck with him. I do feel it's worth it. I've learned a lot from him and he from me. It works. We argue ALL THE TIME! But, we've realized we're 2 spirited individuals who are very passionate and so arguing is just part of our normal banter. We try really, really hard, but we make it work.

:) Good for you. I personally want an ESTP woman, just to see how it would be. I personally think that this relationship would be VERY different depending on the genders of the types.

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
hmm. that depends. estps at their best can be charming and funny with a touch of prick (James Bond) or total pricks that do whatever they feel like, no matter who they hurt (stereotypical jock).

Haha soooo true! It's interesting how different healthy versus unhealthy ESTPs.

I feel you on that one! I call my ESTP "Master Manipulator" because he's often trying to pull one over on everyone, including me. I find that making a joke out of it is the best way to keep things lighthearted. Most of the time we're able to laugh through our differences, bantering and joking on each other a lot, etc. Sometimes, though, he goes to far and offends me and we end up driving each other up the wall, with me telling him he's a huge asshole, and him telling me I'm taking his jokes too personally.

I can imagine how the ESTP + INFP dynamic is more challenging because I think in general INFPs put up with less crap than INFJs do. My ESTP partner and one of my close INFP friends used to fight like cats and dogs. If I sense there's no malice, I tend to let minor offenses slide for the sake of harmony. My INFP friends who I've observed seem more likely to take a stand and call out the other person if they feel offended. Maybe that's just my experience though.

In the end, I agree with the sentiments posted earlier on this thread that two healthy people of any type have a shot at making things work, and MBTI is not a reason to shoot down a possible romantic partner.

gamergirl

MBTI Type
INFP
OMG

omg I'm a INFP female dating a ESTP for almost a year now. at first everything was okay, and now im not so sure...he is very controlling, abusive, insensitive, impatient and angry. I love him very much and i dont know what to do. It's almost impossible to get compliments out of him, all he does is criticizing my body, talking down to me and comparing me to other women, he's so polite to others but so rude to me, most people would say ohh break up with him blahblahblah but as an INFP myself, breaking up is the worst thing for me...trust me on that...bah this is frustrating...:cry:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In Socionics INFp and ESTp are "duals" which may suggest it might be a good match.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
omg I'm a INFP female dating a ESTP for almost a year now. at first everything was okay, and now im not so sure...he is very controlling, abusive, insensitive, impatient and angry. I love him very much and i dont know what to do. It's almost impossible to get compliments out of him, all he does is criticizing my body, talking down to me and comparing me to other women, he's so polite to others but so rude to me, most people would say ohh break up with him blahblahblah but as an INFP myself, breaking up is the worst thing for me...trust me on that...bah this is frustrating...:cry:

Wow that is messed up. You know, any type can be abusive, not just ESTP.
You should get yourself out of that relationship, but if you want him to stay, I guess that's your decision to make.:hug:

Little_Sticks

In Socionics INFp and ESTp are "duals" which may suggest it might be a good match.

Yeah...but I don't know how much faith I have in it now after reading this thread. Then again they do say that you have to find the "right" estp who shares similar interest and goals. Although that seems like a cop-out because that could be said for any type as far as I'm concerned.