User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Ne

Default How do you categorize...prioritize...organize... your life?

Not sure if this is an ENFP thing or NF or P thing or what, but i feel so scattered!

like, there's a thousand million billion thoughts, motivations, dreams, wants, needs, ideas, thoughts, opinions, and general brainy goo swimming around in my head........

but i have the WORST time figuring it all out. i'm sitting here.... i have a research paper due in two days, i have a half-eaten chocolate bunny next to me, i am blasting dance music, i saw a 60 minutes about prosthetic science and now i'm all interested in science and inventions and crap, i LOVE drawing so i have the urge to grab a charcoal and paper, i want to call my friends, i have the desire to have a think-session about the boy in the striped pajamas (fantastic movie), i have a billion thoughts and opinions about everything... life, love, happiness, muffins.... all partying in my cranium!

i have no idea how to organize or prioritize in such a way that all these potential intellectual/social/philosophical blossoms don't die a freezing death in the recess of my brain...... but at the same time i know that certain things must wait, and certain things are of high priority and must be taken care of first. (that paper ain't gonna write itself... dang)

i call this my alphabet soup syndrome. all these things, bouncing about in my skull, all have potential and importance.... but they're so scrambled and messy that it's indiscernable at the moment.

how do you separate your alphabet soup? how to you prioritize your life?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

I'm so there right now girl. So very very there. My bunny is 2/3 eaten though.

I'll let you know if I figure it out tonight. Good luck!
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Um. I don't. My organization skills are "I remember putting this piece of crap with the other piece of crap because I shoved the other thing under there." When someone cleans I panic, because nothing can be found.

And I'll do essays for about five hours. The first hour is for research (coughREADING FICTIONcough). The second is for eating a snack. The third is for putting songs on my iPod. The fourth is for doodling or scribbling, depending on what iPod songs convince me to do. The fifth hour, I scream and look at the clock, think "OMG NO CRAP NO" and write something desperately to turn in via adrenaline and caffiene.

That's my process. I think it's the P, 'cause my INFJ buddy does fine...when she turns off her internet.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

garbage

I have mind mapping software.. great for the scatterbrained Ne mindset.

With it, I jot down various ideas (such as your prosthetics) and link them all together. I also keep track of a hierarchical list of tasks I need to do. Once they're done, I move them to another hierarchy separated out by week and categorized by importance. These tasks are all mapped those to roles I play (researcher, boyfriend, volunteer, mentor, leader...) and goals I wish to accomplish (intellectual stimulation, learning new skills, physical well-being...). This way, I keep track of minor and major stuff I get done, see week-by-week exactly how much meaningful stuff I do, know what I've been concentrating on, and keep myself in balance.

When I see that there are important things that I need to do, I allocate time for them using Google calendar, which is also synced up with my phone. I don't always hold myself to those time blocks, but I'm comforted knowing that they exist.. alleviates the fear of not having enough time to do things.

For more day-to-day matters, I have a fancy piece of paper with stuff I want to get done or work on, such as vacuuming, dishes, homework... you get the idea. I just try to whittle down the list until it's all done.

I guess the end moral is.. just get all of your random thoughts down in some form, so you don't have to keep revisiting them in your head.

Good ol' Te

Read some Stephen Covey.. it'll do you some good.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Ne

GREED i am UBERjealous of your abilities!!!!!! would you mind showing an example of what a typical day would bring, outline-wise?

i'm VERY intrigued.

i have the desire to be organized..... damn P.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The way things usually happen when I have work to be done:

1. Remember I have something due soon.
    2. Sit, stare off into space, fiddle around with the idea of what's due in my head.
    3. Do something fun.
    4. Do something distracting.
    5. Do something non-productive.
    6. Fiddle about with the idea some more.
    7. Open the program that I need to work on the thing due.
    8. Stare at the program interface.
    9. Repeat steps 3-5 in any order.
    10. Look at the clock, realise what time it is, and freak out.
    11. Pull myself together, and get to work.
    12. Finish the work. Go to bed. Get a few hours of sleep. Be happy knowing it's done.

When I have lots of things that need to be done, I do them in the order they are due. So, say I have two classes that have things due on the same day. I usually start with the stuff that's due with the earliest class. Sometimes I'll not do that and do whatever can be done fastest.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INFP

Definitely understand what you mean by alphabet soup. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist which makes for a lethal combination... I'll start projects I had weeks to work on the day before it's due and wind up spending all night finishing* it. Sometimes I don't even finish and lost a night of sleep for nothing! I have many ideas, but it feels like when somebody gives me an assignment; they want me to catch a storm in a bottle.

Do you write in a diary or something of that nature? It may add some structure to your thoughts.

*lol

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    The way things usually happen when I have work to be done:

1. Remember I have something due soon.
    2. Sit, stare off into space, fiddle around with the idea of what's due in my head.
    3. Do something fun.
    4. Do something distracting.
    5. Do something non-productive.
    6. Fiddle about with the idea some more.
    7. Open the program that I need to work on the thing due.
    8. Stare at the program interface.
    9. Repeat steps 3-5 in any order.
    10. Look at the clock, realise what time it is, and freak out.
    11. Pull myself together, and get to work.
    12. Finish the work. Go to bed. Get a few hours of sleep. Be happy knowing it's done.

When I have lots of things that need to be done, I do them in the order they are due. So, say I have two classes that have things due on the same day. I usually start with the stuff that's due with the earliest class. Sometimes I'll not do that and do whatever can be done fastest.
    That's exactly how I work.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

One time a professor was trying to help me get "organized." They gave me a sheet to write down what I was doing during the day to keep track of it. My INTJ friend about died when he read that I wrote "ate brownie" on one of the time slots. He said I was hopeless.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    One time a professor was trying to help me get "organized." They gave me a sheet to write down what I was doing during the day to keep track of it. My INTJ friend about died when he read that I wrote "ate brownie" on one of the time slots. He said I was hopeless.
    LOL. I totally would have done that, too. >.>
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)