User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: NF and ADD

MBTI
    infp

Default NF and ADD

I sincerly hope this has not been posted before, if it has, I apologize.

I've heard that NF's often get diagnosed with ADD. Apparently this is because most systems (such as work environments and school) are set up more for ESTX types or something of the like and the NF behavior is just too foreign to this system, so people have created something to try to "fix" these people. Essentially, many beleive ADD is not a legitimate disorder at all.

A lot of people tell me I have much less ADD than most people, yet when I look at a list of ADD symptoms, especially the ones related to school settings and work, I fit almost all of them, but I know I couldn't possibly actually have any disorder as, when I work on my own time and my own terms, I get a lot of very good work down on things I care about.

What are you're thoughts on NF's and ADD?

MBTI
    INFP

Whenever I read the ADD description I keep wondering if I had it but undiagnosed when I was at school, as it fits me so well.

The adult description of ADD also suits me completely, so I don't know, maybe you have a point, I will wait for the bigger brains around here to lay out their theories though.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It isn't unusual for people with ADD to hyper-focus on things that are very interesting to them, is it?

I was diagnosed with it a few years ago and would take medication for it if . . . Hey! I've been gaining weight. Maybe they will let me take medication for it now.

Anyway. A lot of times when people think ADD they think hyperactive and most INFs are not hyperactive. I don't know if either type of ADD is a true disorder, but both can make it very hard to function in today's society.

It's almost impossible to opt out of society completely, and being chronically unable to function in one's environment is not a fun and might as well be a disorder even if it's just a normal variation.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't know about NFs... In fact I've never heard of someone correlating NF temperament with ADD.

Usually, it does seem that many of the attributes for ADD fit in with an xSFP mindset, however. This was one of the concerns with medication being prescribed so carelessly in the early 90's and onwards -- perhaps there was nothing "wrong" with these children, they simply were not being given an educational environment suitable for their temperament.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

I think ADD may have more to do with P than NF. I've also been diagnosed, but taking meds has helped a lot. I want to be able to get off of meds when I get older though... Studies have actually shown that activity in the brain is different in people with ADD. Although it's a normal variation, the brain chemistry is a bit different, and that makes functioning quite hard. Some people are more ADD, some less so. I'm moderately, but I know someone who is severely ADD. His is not a common 'he's always distracted blahblah blah'. He is on an absurd amount of meds, but he is still not very functional socially. He does fine in school, but his impulsiveness especially drive people away. Off of meds, I do not think that he would be able to finish school, get a job, and stay out of prison.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    intp

I have suspected that I might have ADD without H. Dunno if it has anything to do with NF.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Rather than NF, I think being an NP can make you have traits similar to ADD. I think this is especially bad for ENP's, because Ne is the trait makes one's mind flutter all over the place. I took an online test that said if you score above a 10 you might have ADD. I scored a 37, lol. I don't think I have ADD though, because I have no trouble focusing when motivated. Rather I believe that I have a heavy dose of Ne.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    yupp

I think ADD exists. I also think not as much as people believe. I've met someone who had ADHD and you could tell just by watching her. She's my age and still bounces off the walls over nothing. Then I've met people who were just randomly diagnosed with ADD (I'm sure it wasn't random actually). And they were more focused then myself, hmmm I don't have ADD. Because when I need/want to I can focus. I just prefer not too.

So yeah, It's a real disease, I just doubt as many kids diagnose with it actaully have ADD. I'm actually wary of all learning/mental disorders, and if people diagnosed with them actually having it. Or is it so they can have answer or feel special about something?

I think what I'm trying to say is. Not everyone can be a drugged up depressed shut in who can't focus. If so I refuse to except it.
    if you have ADD you are not nessercily a drugged up depressed shut in--Just thought I'd clarify.

MBTI
    INFP

It seems everything one does or feels is correlated to a syndrome/disorder these days. I don't know if this is because doctors and researchers are better equipped to group and diagnose symptoms, or if disorders are created so people can give their problems or quirks a label. Meanwhile, medical personnel and pharmaceutical companies cash in....

My guess is that ADD is more likely the product of environment than personality type. If one's environment is extremely rigid, ADD could be a backlash against it. If one's environment is very lax and unfocused, ADD could mimic it. How people respond to their environment is influenced by personality, but I wouldn't say that there's a direct correlation between type and ADD or similar disorders. ADD could also be the product of different neurological programming or chemical imbalances. I can only speculate because it seems researchers can't agree on the cause. My grade one teacher believed all children had ADD and thought every student should take Ritalin.

Like others have experienced, my mind flits from one topic to another randomly, yet I have no difficulty focusing when I need and/or want to.
    "We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by maidenhair View Post
    It seems everything one does or feels is correlated to a syndrome/disorder these days.
    A lot of that has to do with people misunderstanding the results of the studies. If you take 100 people with (x) and find a correlation with (y) (say, personality), it doesn't mean that the gap between (y) and (x) is narrow. It simply means that (x) probably relates to some sub-factor or common causal factor in (y).

So, for example, while OCD might correlate to J quite strongly, it doesn't mean that Js will correlate strongly to OCD.

As such, it's easy to find a relationship between factors for any problem - if you take everyone who has a problem and look for factors... you'll find them. That's the reason the studies are done. They investigate to build up a sort of picture of what factors are also present with the disability... It is not meant to say that those with the factors will have the disability.

(Having said that, it is not always the case the studies are done like this. But you see it with MBTI and the like... A classic example is that ISFJs make up over 2/3 of the nurse positions. It is easy to read more into that statement than is really there... Nursing is dominantly correlated to ISFJs, but the ISFJ do not need to dominantly correlate to nursing.)

--

As for the OP, the factors i'd think the most correlated traits for AD(H)D are ExFP, with an emphasis on the P. Just remember that it is not the same thing to say NF -> ADD as it is to say ADD->NF. (And of course, a large part of ADD is from neurotic behaviour.)