User Tag List

123 Last

Default Why are emotions so important to you?

There is alot of talk about emotions on this board but it looks to me that there is little about something quite basic in this story.

Why NFs care so much about emotions? What is so special about them?
    Are they important because you have alot of them or it here something else?
    (or both)

Are there situations in which emotions are totally irrelevant from your perspective?

I remember that once one NF on this board said that one of his/her worst fears is that he/she will become a robot. (in emotional sense)
    So I am wondering how many NFs can relate to this.

The few SFs that post here are also welcome to reply

I don't really know whether it's different for NFs but from an SF perspective. Emotions are when the heart speak out, it's basically a nagivation device. It's the subconscious speaking out to us. I listened to my logical reasoning despite my emotions feeling otherwise. It lead me down what I feel is the wrong path.

I don't listen to raw emotions as much. However they do provide some insight into the psyche. I wait until I've fully processed the emotion before I consider it relevant because it might just be a huge reaction.

For myself becoming a robot means that I've lost my path. I've become stotic like recently and it scares me that I can't feel much anymore, the horrible sense of apathy that accompanies helplessness. I can't tell what I want anymore properly and how I feel about certain things.

For an NFP it'd mean losing Fi - losing their inner core, their personality. I'm not actually sure what losing Fe would be like for an NFJ... However it can be both for either type, they're both F functions.
    Likes Abcdenfp liked this post

MBTI
    INFP

Default emotions. . .

Dear INTJ fella,

Let me ask you this, what is the underlying purpose of everything you do? For achievements? For satisfaction? For ambition? Because you have to in order to survive?

You will find that it all comes down to emotion in the end. That is why, in this sense, emotion is not only important to NFs, but all types.

As David Hume once said, "Reason is the slave of all passion."

Human passion can only be generated by emotions, it can't be given anyway else. You can't logically come to the conclusion that running is your passion. You have to feel it.

Therefore, of course we put our emotions first. I believe that even you do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Huh. This is a hard question. I'll do my best to answer.

For a while, I was unsure if I was INTP or INFP. The main thing that made me decide that I was INFP, though, was that I'm basically a bleeding heart for other people. I wish that I didn't care that much, but I do. So, I guess I'm logical and rational with my own concerns, but I'm not with other people.

I learned how important my own emotions are when they were taken away from me. I was really depressed for awhile, so I resorted to "logical" thinking. Now that I'm on my way out from that darkness, I can feel again. I feel more connected to myself, but more importantly, I feel more connected to other people and God. Mature emotions, not reckless ones, make me feel more at home with myself and others.

Sorry, that was a long, rambling answer. If you want me to clarify anything, let me know. I'm still trying to clarify it for myself.

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

Emotions being important: The only time you need feelings is when you go looking for love.

Junior Member civil_disobedience's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Why are emotions important? Because for the most part, it is what we count on to navigate through life... Not in the sense that, "This is sad or boring, I don't want to do it so I won't."

But in the sense that most of our decisions are based on value judgements that take into consideration their effect on other people.

I guess emotions are important because I have them and they are a strong part of who I am. My emotions motivate me to create things to express myself and they give me a sense of connectedness to every one and everything. So I would also be concerned were to be become 'robotic.'

Emotions are irrelevent when they become self-destructive. When you find yourself wallowing in negative emotions after a break-up or being laid off or whatever else.. Then I think it's time to reason through the events and plan on changing your circumstance.
    "Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"--Thoreau

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Emotions affect everyone a lot. Not focusing enough on them is a mistake (focusing too much is a mistake too, obviously).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Emotions are important to NFs because they are at the core of who we are. At least for me anyway, my feelings (which steer my thought process) influence who I am, what I do, what I say. Unless you make an effort to study up on something like MBTI, you might go though life assuming everyone functions as you do. Therefore, their emotions are of the upmost importance too, because it is essentially who they are from our perspective.

Realizing that not everyone processes things in the same way, I still tend to emphasize emotions simply because it is how I understand things. I will ask people how they feel about things a lot, and it's not wrong or right answer kind of questions, so they are like "um, dude, I'm fine". I was probing for their emotional perspective because I think this is the deep, underlying side of the person and I want to get to the root of the matter. Asking more open questions as to their feelings makes me think I will get a more in-depth and genuine response since the aspect of "right" & "wrong" is not there. It's like, "tell me what you really think, not what you're supposed to say".

I have to make a conscious effort to realize that to some people feelings are trivial, even their own. That concept in itself bugs me, because they not trivial for me, they are nearly EVERYTHING.

That said, there are situations in which feelings are irrelevant. I can recognize that some feelings can be irrational and should not be acted on. This is true of my own feelings & other's feelings. I've known people who say, "I can't help how I feel and I have to follow my heart", and I think that is BS. You may not be able to help how you feel, but you can know if it is wrong or right & not act on those feelings. Sometimes my feelings are ridiculous and I have to remind myself that just because I feel a certain way doesn't mean that is how IT IS & it doesn't give me license to act out. I can also reign in my feelings and steer them in a direction that is more sensible. I get frustrated with people who I perceive to have little control over their own emotions as much as I get frustrated with people who dismiss all emotional thinking as "irrational".
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes DulcetRefrain, Abcdenfp liked this post

MBTI
    INFP

I experience my life through emotions. Of course, I have plenty of thoughts, but I have to consciously work to think about "why" I'm feeling what I'm feeling and name the thoughts that accompany those feelings. For me, feeling always comes first, or it's the first thing of which I'm aware in any life situation. I make a lot of important decisions based on a "gut feeling," and those decisions normally end up being good ones.

I don't know that there's any time I'd consider a feeling "irrelevant" because I think all feelings deserve some consideration, at least initially. However, there are times when emotions need to take a back seat to reason. For me, this is especially the case if my emotions cause me to want to act in a way that isn't ethical or beneficial.

MBTI
    ENFP

Personally, I feel like emotion is a large part of my intuition. When I am confronted with a situtation, I don't always know what I think about it, but I always know how I feel about it. From this gut feeling, I'm able to quickly react and generally make a good decision. If nothing else it always gives me a good starting point to analyze the situtation from.

Also I feel like my emotions are the gateway to my subconscious/soul/whatever you want to call it, and without them I could never know that part of myself.

And I want to experience other's emotions so that I can know that part of them too.