User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 50

  1. #11
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Emotions affect everyone a lot. Not focusing enough on them is a mistake.
    That is exactly why I am opening all those threads about feelings.



    Quote Originally Posted by Gengar View Post
    Dear INTJ fella,

    Let me ask you this, what is the underlying purpose of everything you do? For achievements? For satisfaction? For ambition? Because you have to in order to survive?

    You will find that it all comes down to emotion in the end. That is why, in this sense, emotion is not only important to NFs, but all types.

    As David Hume once said, "Reason is the slave of all passion."

    Human passion can only be generated by emotions, it can't be given anyway else. You can't logically come to the conclusion that running is your passion. You have to feel it.

    Therefore, of course we put our emotions first. I believe that even you do.

    As for you first question I would say that I just want to survive and expand intellectually.


    What you have said is basicly true but not fully (from my perspective of course)

    There is one thing about expressed INTJs (or maybe it is just me). Which is that intuition can kill the feeling. What means that if something happens I will just react since I can clearly see the outcome. So I don't have to involve my feelings in the story. This can be described as pure inertia.

    People say you must use emotions to make a choice. Which is true. But I am one of those people that just charts the course and drives in that direction. Analysing everything that comes my way and will I rearrange details if needed. So I don't have to have close connection with my emotions.


    Also I don't doubt myself I only doubt the data I get and plans themselfs.
    But since I don't doubt myself as person I am quite calm.


    As for the running example I am not 100% sure about that.

    Since you can decide that running has to be your passion. (because or health for example). But in this case it is up to a debate if this is really a passion.
    But if you don't do things out of pure passion then the amount of feeling in the system is lower by default/definition.
    People usually don't understand how NTJs think and I think this is good example of NTJ approach. The only thing that is really F here are big picture goals.
    Of course things are not black and white but in my cases things are not too far from that.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Tiny Army's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    679

    Default

    My emotions are only important to me in that they are perpetually in my way. They keep me from making solid, rational decisions and make me behave inappropriately. I have a terrible temper and most things make me cry. This sucks.

    I try to understand emotions so that I can learn to successfully keep my own in control.

    Also, other peoples' emotions waste my time and their own. I would like to keep those in check, too.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    it's basically a nagivation device. It's the subconscious speaking out to us.
    I like how you put that.

    Yeah, I think the relative importance of both emotions and thoughts depends on the individual. Why do we pay importance to them? Because we feel all the time. Same as Ts think all the time and thus pay importance to their thought process. (gross dichotomization)

    Everyone needs emotional stability to be happy. For someone who feels very little, emotional stability must still exist though. However insignificant that person's feelings might seem, they need to be harbored healthily.

    It's just like eating or whatever. Everyone must strive to satisfy their own needs. The more you understand how they work, the content you'll be.

  4. #14
    EvanTheClown (ETC) Clownmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Why NFs care so much about emotions? What is so special about them?
    Are they important because you have alot of them or it here something else?
    (or both)
    For starters, they're important because that is our default method on how to react to situations. (Most) NFs can still be very logical and know how to separate their emotions from a situation if the time calls for it, but especially if we get wronged or betrayed, our anger can give us the determination to follow through with any threats. In situations of passion or joy, our emotions carry our actions to stay "in the moment" with the flood of energy around us.


    Are there situations in which emotions are totally irrelevant from your perspective?
    Undoubtedly: Jury duty.

    I remember that once one NF on this board said that one of his/her worst fears is that he/she will become a robot. (in emotional sense)
    So I am wondering how many NFs can relate to this.
    I don't relate at all. My emotions are like my compass pointing north, but I can choose what direction I wish to walk.

    Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

  5. #15
    wallflowe r🥀 DulcetRefrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    469 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Emotion is my life, it directs my path both consciously and subconsciously. It's why I make goals, why I pursue relationships, why I have morals, how I love and why I love. I believe it's also what connects humanity, what deepens our connections with one another. Pure logic isn't what brings humanity together to fight and make progress. It's the belief in a brighter future, it's to save a life, it's banding together in times of devastating loss and supporting one another. Human beings, who think and feel no more or less than you do. This is how we connect, through fellow feeling.

    I think people deny their emotions when they feel enslaved to them, like they can't control how they feel so they numb it. But the pain doesn't disappear just because you say it isn't there. Emotion is and always will be an automatic response to things in your life, even if you don't always act on them. Brene Brown had an interesting thing to say about emotional vulnerability: "vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. Truth and courage aren't always comfortable, but they are _never_ weakness." Emotions are not weakness, disregarding them is not strength. I wouldn't make an impulse decision based on a fleeting feeling, because I process my emotions before I act on them. I think about how ethical they are, how I would feel about doing it, how it would affect others, etc. People mistake feelers as irrational, because we can be sensitive. But basing value on ethics is emotional intelligence. Because of that, I don't think there's any situation in which emotions become totally irrelevant for anybody, even a Thinking type. There's two sides to everything in life; considering the ethical perspective gives you a more balanced and effective decision.

    I wouldn't say I have a fear of becoming robotic, I could never even fathom that happening to me. But if we lacked a healthy amount of emotion, I do believe that we'd be like robots. There would be no drive or purpose, we'd merely act out of necessity like ants and animals. Go here. stop. enter. Living, but nothing to live for. Removing purpose leaves us aimless, no matter who you are. Merely trying to lengthenlife but not fulfilling anything.
    I only ask to be free. The butterflies are free...

    Johari
    Nohari

  6. #16
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    583 sp/sx
    Posts
    920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DulcetRefrain View Post
    But the pain doesn't disappear just because you say it isn't there.
    What if I say it really, really loud?
    Likes DulcetRefrain liked this post

  7. #17
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DulcetRefrain View Post
    I wouldn't say I have a fear of becoming robotic, I could never even fathom that happening to me. But if we lacked a healthy amount of emotion, I do believe that we'd be like robots. There would be no drive or purpose, we'd merely act out of necessity like ants and animals. Go here. stop. enter. Living, but nothing to live for. Removing purpose leaves us aimless, no matter who you are. Merely trying to lengthenlife but not fulfilling anything.
    Why is emotion necessary for purpose?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Yuu liked this post

  8. #18
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    I think my emotions are important to me because with them I enjoy life. However my emotions are not entirely healthy, and so sometimes they mislead me into unhappiness.

    I think the marriage of emotion and reason gives the best results and the most enjoyable results.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

  9. #19
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Dear intj,

    Emotion is information.

    Information is knowledge.

    Knowledge is power - which you know, or you wouldnt be asking this question.

    In my case, this type of information is also fascination and happiness, as its knowledge allows me to diminish suffering in tve world. It is kind of like getting the remote to an enormous fire alarm that's been blaring since i was born.

    What you re asking is akin to someone who doesnt feel pain asking why you stop running just because your foot got broken.

    Because it fucking hurts - and for a good reason. Pain is a warning system that helps us be kind to our body.

    While emotions are a more complex system with a wider range, it is equally vital, unignorable and worthy of consideration. While your body removes the pain st first so you can flee, it doubles down on it when you re safe so you re forced to let it heal. I find the same logic applies to emotions. Yes, they sometimes get in the way short term, so by all means turn them off then, but in the long run, doing so chronically cripples you and worse.

    There is a reason a person who feels no pain has to check their body all the time for damage.


    Ime, this is no different.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  10. #20
    Senior Member Yuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Emotions affect everyone a lot. Not focusing enough on them is a mistake (focusing too much is a mistake too, obviously).
    I find them to only cause trouble. Basing your decisions on how you are feeling or what youbwant at any moment is a bad idea. So no matter how angry I get I don't act on it. The immediate satisfaction is never worth the long term consequence.

    So, to me, emotions are just a bad influence.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Why are INFP so attracted to ENTPs?!
    By Soar337 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-19-2015, 09:26 AM
  2. Why are emotions so bad? Hmm?
    By sprinkles in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 08:37 PM
  3. [ISFJ] WHY ARE ISFJs SO EMOTIONAL?
    By HotpinkHeatwave in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 11:54 PM
  4. [NF] Why are emotions important?
    By SUPER in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 04:08 PM
  5. Why are we so attracted to misfortune?
    By Geoff in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO