• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] So I'm walking through the supermarket...

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Grocery shopping is a chore for me. I might look spacey around the vegetables and fruit, deciding what looks fresh and what I really want to get, but other than that, I pretty much know what I'm going to get before I go, and am on a mission to get it done and leave. :)

Oh my gosh, that sounds exactly like me! :laugh: I haven't the slightest idea why I space out in the fruit and vegetable section but I always do it! Quite annoying to be that way, actually. Maybe I need to go grocery shopping with a sensor.:cheese:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I space out in the grocery store, period. I can't take that much stimulation. The lights are too bright, there's just too much stuff, there's always somebody on the loudspeaker, the piped-in music makes me bleed from the ears, people stand too close ... when I go in there, I walk around like a zombie and have to go through each aisle twice to make sure I get what I came for, because I keep spacing out just trying to get away from the atmosphere in there.

I order my groceries online and pay for delivery.

Except the occasional jaunt to Whole Foods, which I only do on a week day morning, never on a weekend.

Appoggiatura

MBTI Type
INFJ
There is so much stuff at the supermarket that I end up browsing through the produce and the aisles [I've noticed I spend a lot of time just looking at different brands of juices and snacks, in particular. I guess I just like reading through the produce descriptions and looking at the packaging ?]. I tend to pick up and hold grocery items while looking for the ripest fruit or whatever.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
too much people are really bad, because then, there is interaction about who makes room for whoom. Fe horror. even if i don't care what they think about me personally any longer (used to be generally social phobic but not any more), i will create phobic attention about how they think about how i behave.
but where I shop, there are usually few people.

as for sensory overwhelm: the slower i behave, the lesser it stresses me. and i will have to be really slow. trying to rush, can help, if you are save afterwards, but if I had to go through car traffic afterwards, the sensory overwhelm amounts over time subconsciously and i would crash once at home. if I practice awareness, it will not amount at all. i need to notice everything around me, in sequence. when there is something on the loudspeaker, i will listen to it. if i have a thought about it, i will give it enough space. only then i will continue to hover my eyes over the shelf...

my mother (also extremely sensotarded) used to like this book:

The Discovery of Slowness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i have never read it myself. i think its about sensotardation borderlining autism.

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
I am usually wandering all over the store, trying to remember what I need. Someone yelled at me once for going to the isles in random order. I can often be found helping little old ladies get things off of shelves, or hiding behind large sunglasses on a bad day. And I don't open up to strangers. However, they like to tell me I am "comforting".

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFJs are rare. bottom line. and i wouldn't really use behaviors like "constantly looking in her cart" to help you decide her type. that causes instant problems.

an if its a relationship you seek, never limit yourself to one type. especially if its the rarest lol

Easy for you to say..

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I hate grocery shopping (especially alone). I go with a list, am very focused, and try to get in and out asap. Other types of shopping, I speculate and imagine and spend forever deciding. With groceries, you're just going to eat them anyway, then they'll be gone, so the best I can do is save money and get on to more enjoyable things. I'm certain I wouldn't be amiable to conversations or striking up new relationships in a supermarket. I'd be annoyed that someone is detaining me and trying to be friendly in that horrid atmosphere.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
trader joes or specialty product stores would be a good start. the asian grocery store, etc.

also, i don't know what else defines me, but occasionally a drifting along, somewhat lost look as i wander the aisles. also an occasional flare up of proctor and gamble/kroger hatred and the resulting self-flaggelation for being there, existing in the same world as them, etc. goddamn them. also annoyance at rude people, and smiling to myself or chuckling when the lightbulb goes on (about once every 30 seconds).

infjs can't be found in the real world purposefully. artistic and intellectual gatherings are the best place, like infps. we may be standing by ourselves and acting/be slightly aloof, and at other times paralyzingly self-conscious. places with a good environment/ambiance are crucial to our survival. so go to cool places and you'll find us (i'm thinking the best cafe/coffee shops in town will be amply supplied with infjs).

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
infjs can't be found in the real world purposefully. artistic and intellectual gatherings are the best place, like infps. we may be standing by ourselves and acting/be slightly aloof, and at other times paralyzingly self-conscious. places with a good environment/ambiance are crucial to our survival. so go to cool places and you'll find us (i'm thinking the best cafe/coffee shops in town will be amply supplied with infjs).

Or at home in front of our computers writing posts on forums. That's the trouble with introverts. We're never out of our houses! And when we bump into someone like us, it's like we're dying of thirst to connect with this other similarly solitary person.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I probably look more SJ when I shop, to tell the truth. I'm spacy and a little on the unsure side, but to make up for it I like to look like I'm the Commander of the Groceries. I am everywhere I need to be right when I need to be there, and I am confident and capable!
Of course, that's more of an outfit I put on to make people think I know what I'm there for :D Really, I easily forget things, and I'll almost always have a list if I have a reason for going. I'll check it fairly frequently, and I'll try to be efficient by picking a route to follow to minimize time and distance, but usually I end up trailing off that and doubling back and taking detours.

But I do examine labels; whatever is cheapest and healthiest and best for the environment is what goes in my cart. It's not a matter of simple brand names; it's a rigorous testing every trip.

If I'm with friends, we're the ones looking like idiots and having way too much fun.